Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by exile View Post
    to get upset about people sharing music strikes me as ridiculous as the now ancient metallica fight against napster.
    As I recall, the legal action against Napster was successful and its original business operation was shut down (for reasons everyone is familiar with). What that company is doing now is completely different.

What part of the "ancient fight" do you consider to be ridiculous?

I simply think that trying to regulate and restrict the free flow of digital information is a losing proposition. I buy digital downloads of music and I think most of the people I know also purchase music legally. But the purchasing of music is just one way of acquiring music these days. There are such a variety of ways to get music today that the focus on regulation or restrictions seems futile.

Well, regardless of your feelings on where the money goes (artist/label/who ever), not paying for it (when it isn't specifically being made available for free) *is* against the law, pure and simple. So you're basically saying that becuase you can get away with it and not suffer any repurcussions, we should just write the law off the books.

In which case, I can think of a lot more laws that we should repeal.
    A Touch + Cambridge DAC Magic has replaced my venerable SB3. May it rest in peace.

http://www.last.fm/user/androidtopp

egd
    I don't think a discussion of right/ wrong, legalities etc. is relevant here. Personally I don't give a damn what people do in private (and we all know music sharing has been around forever), but I do care when they do things in such a way as to directly or indirectly implicate a product/ company/ forum in their activities by discussing them on public forums associated with that product/ company.

I don't want to see the RIAA taking aim at manufacturers of network music players or the like because discussion threads on their forums may imply that copyright abuse is condoned or encouraged, it definitely isn't here.

Multiple External Drives - Multiple Formats - What's thebest way to deal with this?

egd wrote:
    > I don't think a discussion of right/ wrong, legalities etc. is relevant
    > here. Personally I don't give a damn what people do in private (and we
    > all know music sharing has been around forever), but I do care when they
    > do things in such a way as to directly or indirectly implicate a
    > product/ company/ forum in their activities by discussing them on
    > public forums associated with that product/ company/ forum.
    >
    > I don't want to see the RIAA taking aim at manufacturers of network
    > music players or the like because discussion threads on their forums
    > may imply that copyright abuse is condoned or encouraged.
    >

I think in the early days of this forum everybody associated mp3's with
    piracy.
    The record companies didn't want nothing to do with that stuff.

Let's presume innocence until the perp actually confesses

Regards,
    Peter

Perhaps it would also be worth pointing out that this is an international forum. Laws differ between countries. In many European countries, copying music files from a close friend's collection would be perfectly legal, even if the music in question is copyrighted.

Quote Originally Posted by strindberg View Post
    Perhaps it would also be worth pointing out that this is an international forum. Laws differ between countries. In many European countries, copying music files from a close friend's collection would be perfectly legal, even if the music in question is copyrighted.
    But the forum is hosted in the US by a US division of a European company. So where does that leave us?

Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    But the forum is hosted in the US by a US division of a European company. So where does that leave us?
    It leaves us alone, armed solely with our common sense.
    SBT - North Star dac 192 - Croft 25Pre and Series 7 power - Sonus Faber Grand Piano Domus

Quote Originally Posted by Themis View Post
    It leaves us alone, armed solely with our common sense.
    Well thats us all scewed then isn't it )