Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Multiple External Drives - Multiple Formats - What's the best way to deal with this?

I've been using 1 external drive and have been ripping my CDs with EAC into FLAC.

My friend has offered to make a copy of his music collection for me which is 1 TB in size and encoded in Apple Lossless.

So I will have 2 external drives and they with be encoded in 2 different formats. What's the best way to integrate these 2 libraries together into my slimdevices squeezebox/squeezecentre.

At the moment I'm don't even know how to make Squeezecentre read 2 different drives for "Music Library" in the settings section.

Thanks for the help guys.

- You create a directory (local or remote, as you wish), say : "/SC/main".
    - Then you create in this directory one shortcut for each target music library (two in your case)
    - Then you change the Squeeze Center music library by indicating the new directory "/SC/main"
    - You rescan (it's automatic I think)
    - You're ready

You're welcome.
    SBT - North Star dac 192 - Croft 25Pre and Series 7 power - Sonus Faber Grand Piano Domus

Quote Originally Posted by Themis View Post
    - You create a directory (local or remote, as you wish), say : "/SC/main".
    - Then you create in this directory one shortcut for each target music library (two in your case)
    - Then you change the Squeeze Center music library by indicating the new directory "/SC/main"
    - You rescan (it's automatic I think)
    - You're ready

You're welcome.
    Then you go out and buy a copy of all your friends music, otherwise it's piracy (well it still is piracy, you are just covering yourself after the fact).

egd
    and then turn yourself over to the authorities for gross breach of copyright. Seriously, if you're going to do sh1t like this don't ask for help here. I've no desire to see my use and enjoyment of these and future products curtailed because you see fit to engage in copyright abuse or because these forums are seen as condoning your actions.

Multiple External Drives - Multiple Formats - What's thebest way to deal with this?

egd wrote:
    > and then turn yourself over to the authorities for gross breach of
    > copyright. Seriously, if you're going to do sh1t like this don't ask
    > for help here. I've no desire to see my use and enjoyment of these
    > products curtailed because you see fit to engage in copyright abuse or
    > because these forums are seen as condoning your actions.
    >

There's no mention of copyrighted music in his post. I'd convert the
    Apple lossless files to flac if I were him.
    I think DB PowerAmp converter can do that. Even the free version IIRC,
    so he won't have to resort to piracy It will take a while though...

Regards,
    Peter

egd
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    There's no mention of copyrighted music in his post
    Good point, @big_willy: if I'm wrong accept my apologies, otherwise I stand by my first post.

Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    There's no mention of copyrighted music in his post.
    Good point, and like egd I appologise if I'm wrong.

However, 1TB of apple lossless is at least 2,600 albums (going by my 1,300 albums in FLAC in a bit under 500GB). Thats one hell of a collection of copyright free music.
    Last edited by funkstar; 2008-10-20 at 03:19.

You guys make a big deal of almost nothing. People have been borrowing each other music for ages...

Only public sharing is piracy, let's not mix up everything.

And what if the "friend" is the one he/she lives with ? What would you say then ? They should have two separate rooms to listen because "broadcasting is prohibited" ? C'mon, some common sense is necessary.
    SBT - North Star dac 192 - Croft 25Pre and Series 7 power - Sonus Faber Grand Piano Domus

Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    Good point, and like egd I appologise if I'm wrong.

However, 1TB of apple lossless is at least 2,600 albums (going by my 1,300 albums in FLAC in a bit under 500GB). Thats one hell of a collection of copyright free music.
    There's a hell of a lot more than that over @ archive.org (why they'd convert from flac to apple lossless on the other hand is another question...).

I've got > 4TB of copyright free music myself. *shrug*

to get upset about people sharing music strikes me as ridiculous as the now ancient metallica fight against napster.

in the digital age, sharing music is what it's all about. My friends and I share all of our music. Why wouldn't you share? The argument against sharing seems naive at best.