Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Just curious: when/why did you get your first Slim/Logitech player?

I'm particularly interested in the forum members with older players back when this stuff was really obscure...

This thread http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=53642 prompted me to think about when I first heard of Slim Devices.

I probably heard of the Squeezebox from the AVS Forum. The main stumbling block for me was price and the fact that it was 802.11b with WEP. However I thought SlimServer was very cool, installed it and played with it. I guess I'm easily impressed, I thought it was very neat that it ran a remote web server that could be controlled over the network. At that time I started cleaning up my tags and ripping my CDs to FLAC. Eventually I uninstalled SlimServer as it wasn't doing anything for me and I almost forgot about Slim Devices.

Fast-forward to October 2005 when (again through AVS Forums) I learned about the SB3. I went to the website where I discovered the remaining SB2s were on sale. The SB2 addressed the issues I had with the SB1 and seeing as it was on sale and money was better for me at the time, I dove in.

I wrote a review article for a computer forum I was active in at the time, ABX Forum, but I posted it here first for comments. Sean Adams wondered why I was reviewing the SB2 and an older version of SS (6.0.2?) and sent me an SB3 for review.

I was thinking of a use for 2 players at the time, so when the review period was over I ended up buying that SB3. The rest is history...

So what are your stories?
    Current: SB2, Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), SBC (early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta), Squeezebox Touch (late beta)
    Selling: Transporter
    Sold: SB3, Duet

Just curious: when/why did you get your firstSlim/Logitech player?

About 5 years ago I had been looking for some server based music distribution, fiddling with NetJuke and a Zaurus(!) PDA as a player in the living room. Somebody in the NetJuke forums then mentioned a software called "SlimServer". Which I immediately liked for it's great web interface. After a while I realised that the company offered some hardware player too... Must have been september 2003 when I ordered my first SliMP3.

--

Michael

I wanted to buy the original SliMp3 in about 2002/3(?), but at the time I had a $300 gift certificate to Amazon.com. I actually phoned up Slimdevices at the time to see if they sold through Amazon (they didn't)...knowing now SD's garage/lab roots, I probably talked to Sean on his cell phone...

Anyway, I ended up with a Turtle Beach Audiotron for a year or so before I got fed up with its shortcomings (but not before I wrote an audioscrobbler script for it. Woot!). I ebayed it to some dude in Saskatchewan to free up squeezebox funds.

I bought an "SB1-G", and would have gotten it in the awesome "Purple Haze" color had they not been sold out. I got "platinum" instead, and it still is in working order.

Fast-forward a few years, add another SB1-G (black), two SB3s, a Transporter, and now a few Booms. It's a cool evolution to have been part of...I find myself hacking on the controller a lot these days

#!/ben
    Former Logitech Developer: Squeezeplay/SqueezeOS/SqueezeboxController/SqueezeCenter
    Community Developer: Nokia770Skin (r.i.p.)

http://www.last.fm/user/bklaas/

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lanctot View Post
    So what are your stories?
    I bought a Rio Karma MP3 player (probably late 2004 or early 2005). Of course I had to rip a selection of CDs for use on it. So I ended up with a portion of our music library on the household server, and started wondering whether there was any way to feed it into the main stereo system. I never even considered that it could replace CDs for serious listening.

That's when I investigated the Squeezebox (I'd vaguely heard about it before, but hadn't taken any notice). I speculatively bought a wired-only SB2 in April 2005 to see what it could do, figuring I could always sell it on for not too much of a loss.

It was a revelation - truly one of those "road to Damascus" moments when some aspect of your life (in this case they way we listen to music) changes radically. It quickly became obvious I was going to have to rip all our CDs in FLAC format. A Transporter was added in December 2006 (the price of which was more than covered by selling my high-end CD player and preamp) and the SB2 was relocated to the kitchen.
    Transporter -> ATC SCM100A

Back in 2005, I was looking for a way to stream all my music to the 'good speakers' and my research turned up the Turtle Beach Audiotron. I was all set to buy one and it had already been discontinued even though most of the reviews I read had been positive. I waited a while to see if they were coming out with a new version or something. The Roku Soundbridge was also considered.

Then I saw the SB2 reviews and was able to get one for $190 so I took the plunge. I'd like to to thank Turtle Beach for discontinuing the Audiotron line.
    Last edited by Mike Meyer; 2008-10-16 at 17:41.
    PGAScores & CollegeHockey (SuperDateTime Add-ons)

It was early 2004, just returning back from 3 years spent working in the electronic wilderness known as Australia . Actually remember the first time I found Slimdevices on the web was at an internet cafe in Stellenbosch, South Africa whilst travelling on my way back.

After my return in Dec 2003 and a bit of research I made a beeline for a place near Derby that was selling SB 1's and must have picked it up on Jan 2nd after it reopened for the new year.

Knew instantly it was the way forward and since then have bought every iteration of SB save for the ripoff (in ú terms) transporter.

Actually now I think about it I found out and ordered the SB2 in Sweden and the SB3 in India!!

I bought my first SliMP3 probably in early 2003. It already came with the custom remote and not the Sony remote that came with the first batch of players.
    I can't remember if I had read about the SliMP3 online or in a magazine but I was thrilled by the whole streaming concept and the SliMP3 seemed to be only (or one of very few) streaming devices at the time that had a display.

I probably wouldn't have bought one if there hadn't been a local supplier (K55 in Zurich).
    It's still one of the best devices I have ever bought (together with all the SD products that followed).

-s.

Just curious: when/why did you get your firstSlim/Logitech player?

> It's still one of the best devices I have ever bought (together with
    > all the SD products that followed).

Did I mention it changed my life?

--

Michael

I bought my first SB a bit over 3 years ago: I had been using a program on Linux to manage my music and allow a different form of network play (lots of browsers, command lines, etc, but only one player). It was frustrating since it had a ton of hard-coded limits (it -hated- my Dylan collection and would stop counting tracks to Dylan after 200 I think... which was useless).

I installed SqueezeServer as a replacement, and was very impressed... a week later I bought a wireless router and ordered an SB2 for the bedroom... which lasted a couple of weeks before I realized that being 'free' to listen to music in the bedroom was silly: I also needed to listen to music in the living room... so I ordered another...

I can't say it changed my life as much as mherger's, but it certainly changed how I listen to music, and the amount of music I own.

I still have to rip-n-tag the wife's music... but she accepts the SB as an alarm clock and loves Pandora.

Old SliMP3

I'd been dancing around SliMP3's for a while. At first I'd been looking for a device to bring my music to the stereo without having to have 500 CD's in my small living room. A friend said "look at this one" and pointed me to SlimDevices. I promptly ignored it. Then, I visited some friends who had one, and it looked so cool there, glowing in the dark. I was unemployed at the time, so I didn't get one. Finally, when I found a job, my girlfriend (now wife) bought me a SliMP3 as a present. It actually made listening to music fun again; no digging through piles of CD's scattered in multiple rooms, trying to figure out what you wanted, and not finding it when you did.

First was the SliMP3, hooked up via a 802.11b bridge. Then a SB1G for the bedroom. Then an SB2 to replace the SliMP3 with it's crappy network bridge. Then a new house, and an SB3 for the living room. Finally the Boom arrived, and a great case for retiring the SB1 came about.
    See my plugins at http://www.koldware.com/SlimStuff
    The Synchronizer, GrabPlaylist, ResetVolume, and RemovePlayedSongs
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    SqueezeBox 2 -> Rotel RSX-1056 -> Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers
    SqueezeBox 3 -> Rotel RX-1052 -> Vandersteen 1B's
    SqueezeBox 1 -> AudioEngine A2's
    SqueezeBox Boom x 2
    SqueezeBox Radio
    SliMP3 -> Retired