Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Questions and hints to crossfade function in SC 7.2

Hi everybody,
    forums like this here have a high addiction potential: Once the current question is settled, the next one arises immediately ;-)

I use SC 7.2 with its fading functionality. There are four settings: Crossfade, Fade in, Fade out, Fade in and out.

To have a continuous playback on my Squeezebox Classic (I LOVE IT !!) I have to select Crossfade. What are the deeper reasons to have something like Fade in or out or in/out? I always have a gap between the songs. Or am I wrong?

What I miss is a Winamp-like fading functionality that starts the next song WITHOUT fading in <Crossfade duration> seconds before the current song ends. To do so I tell Winamp to fade out 8000ms on end of song, but disable fading on start of song. This fading technique radio stations often use, and I share this vision. Is this currently possible? Otherwise I would suggest this functionality for one of the next firmware releases.

cpschnuffel

Hi CPS!

I agree that there needs to be a crossfading option to start new songs at 100% volume, just as good OLD Winamp (and, like, every radio station in the world) does

There is a bug report here that addresses this issue. Cast your vote and someday our wishes may become reality.

Derek
    Squeezebox Controller+ iPhone w/iPeng+ iPad w/Squeezepad > Squeezebox 3 > Garden Hose > Sunbeam Model 5 Mixmaster > Free-Range Chicken > Two Soup Cans and a String > Kazoo

I think the radio stations did it where the next song just started before the first one ended. Thinking back on when I used to listen to radio a lot, the fadeout would just be the fadeout of the song itself as it was on the record and the next song would be started prior to the first song completing.

I used to find this really annoying because I was used to listening to a song to it's end. Some stations didn't do this and I found it refreshing.
    Rich
    ---------
    Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch, iPeng on iPod Touch, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze, and SqueezePlayer on Xoom and Galaxy Player 4.2. CentOS 6.3 Server running LogitechMediaServer 7.7.2 and SqueezeSlave.
    Current library stats: 40,810 songs, 3,153 albums, 582 artists.
    http://www.last.fm/user/maggior