Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Looks like it's up to you

Well, it appears Logitech got a real bargain. They bought a company without having to support it's customers. Just pass it off on the user community...

After combing the FAQ and this forum I could not find a suitable answer to the following synchronization problem, so I sent a support request in last week. So far Logitech's idea of a 24 hour response appears to be a joke.

I'm hoping someone here can help me fix my problem, since the vendor isn't up to it.

I have 2 SB3 units connected on 100BaseT to Squeezecenter 7.2. All firmware has been updated to the latest. When previously running on SlimServer, these players would synchronize perfectly. Now they drift in and out of sync.

I have tried adjusting the various sync parameters in Squeezcenter as well as playing with the network buffers. Nothing fixes or even improves the problem.

If anybody has some suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

As for Logitech, despite my admiration for the great Slim Devices products, they won't be getting anymore of my money until they prove they are committed to support. I suggest you keep your dollars in your pockets too.

My first suggestion is a follow-up support request to Logitech. Occasionally things that should not get dropped do--mistakes happen. I don't imagine they are singling you out and only providing excellent customer service to everyone else.

As for the drift, I'm wondering if you have clock drift on the machine running SqueezeCenter. If that's the case, take a look through the notes on this bug here: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8018 for some suggestions. Please note that when your server has a problem maintaining reasonably correct time, that's not something SqueezeCenter can fix.

I'd also try going back to all default settings in SqueezeCenter, and doing a factory reset on both players. This should just work out of the box, no tweaking required.

Thanks CatBus,

I did try the hard resets without luck, return to defaults and re-booting the server. I'm running XP, I wonder how different the issue is v.s. your Linux configuration?

How did you verify the server clock's accuracy? Is there a simple tool? If it is the problem, then I also have to figure out how to fix it.

As for the support issue, I'd like to assume you're right. I did send a follow up on the weekend, without any reply yet. I can appreciate a logjam in support, but then you don't commit to something like a 24 hour response if you can't deliver!

The clock doesn't actually have to be accurate, it just needs to progress at a rate of one second per second. A quick test would be to use a trusted clock, and record the system time at the start of the test and then one day later (by the trusted clock). Then see how much time has elapsed during that day according to the computer, and you know your drift.

It's normal for clocks to drift a little bit. Ultimately you'd need to talk to Logitech to figure out if your clock drift was outside tolerances.

This may also very well be a red herring. What format is your music, and what are the specs of your server?

Hey Rein,

Sorry you are having trouble with your new purchase. As an FYI, our support teams do not work weekends so this may have extended their response time.

Where are you located? Did you contact us thru this link:

http://slimdevices.custhelp.com/cgi-...nduser/ask.php

or did you contact EMEA support?

Do you have a ticket #?

Mike
    Michael Valera
    Internet Marketing Manager
    Corsair.com

Yes, I contacted support through that portal (via the help page in SqueezeCenter). The reference number is 081010-001492.

The contact was made last Thursday and I have not received any contact, other than the automated reply, since.

I am in Toronto.

As I mentioned, these players worked just fine for the last year or so with Slimserver, but now that I upgraded to Squeezecenter they do not sync. The server clock mentioned in the other reply appears to be working fine. My server is an older AMD Athlon running XP Pro. It is dedicated to this task and the occasional network backup.

I brought this up the attention of our support team.

You should be getting a response soon if you haven't got one already.

Mike
    Michael Valera
    Internet Marketing Manager
    Corsair.com

Thank Mike. I got an automated request to fill in a survey rating how good the non-existent support has been. I tried rebooting after filling in the survey, but that didn't fix the problem either. Has Logitech laid everybody off?

Quote Originally Posted by Rein View Post
    Thank Mike. I got an automated request to fill in a survey rating how good the non-existent support has been. I tried rebooting after filling in the survey, but that didn't fix the problem either. Has Logitech laid everybody off?
    Is it possible you have some kind of filter that's filtering out the real e-mails? (but apparently not the survey spam?!)

Quote Originally Posted by lanierb View Post
    Is it possible you have some kind of filter that's filtering out the real e-mails? (but apparently not the survey spam?!)

I have verified the filters are not catching anything.