Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Squeezebox Boom FM?

Does anyone know if Logitech is planning to add a regular FM radio to the Squeezebox Boom? To me, that is about the only feature missing.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c@shaw.ca View Post
    Does anyone know if Logitech is planning to add a regular FM radio to the Squeezebox Boom? To me, that is about the only feature missing.
    Why, what stations cant you get over the net?
    Cheers, auto.

Lounge: Squeezebox 3, Squeezebox Controller, Cambridge Audio 640A, Mission 701's Kitchen: Squeezebox Touch, Trends TA-10.1, Kef Cresta 1's. Bedroom: Squeezebox Boom Bathroom/Garden: Squeezebox Radio Car: iPod Classic 80GB Portable: iPhone 3GS 32Gb (+iPeng)

Isn't it about bandwidth costs?

I surprise myself by thinking it'd be good if there was an FM receiver in the Boom... much of my bandwidth usage (and therefore costs) are now due to BBC Radio 4.

I am convinced that bandwidth restricted broadband will be come the norm (yes, even in the US), so an FM receiver could become something that Logitech could consider adding to the Boom at some point.

Personally I doubt very much if there will be anything like a Boom 2 released in the near future though (or possibly at all)...

MC
    Last edited by ModelCitizen; 2008-10-11 at 14:22.
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known
    Last.fm/user/ModelCitizen

There still are some stations without internet streams. Not many, but still some. And there are others that stream but at quite low quality rates, certainly below the acceptable threshhold for music.

I would be interested to know if anyone has ever investigated what internet bitrate stream is roughly equivalent to a decent FM reception stream. I realize this is subjective, and the kind of question that can be argued without resolution, but just on a rough basis, I wonder where it is. Is 128 the magic number for music?

I can't see usage limits becoming prevalent in the US. At least not for reasonable usage levels. I don't think the market would accept it. Besides, for now there is plenty of unused capacity, or so I've been told.

Pricing by speed tiers is a type of usage volume restriction anyhow, that may be as far as it goes.

Squeezebox Boom FM?

ModelCitizen wrote:
    > Isn't it about bandwidth costs?

Huh?
    Comcast is talking about a 250GB cap.
    In a month with 31 days, there are 744 hours
    3600 seconds per hour, so there are

2678400 seconds per day

250000000000/2678400 = 93,339 bytes per second or
    93.3 KB/s

Now raw RedBook audio is 172 Kbytes/second
    So all you need is a two to one compression, such as you get from FLAC,
    and you can play music 24 hours a day, 31 hours a day, 365 days a year.

But no online radio stations that I've ever seen use lossless.
    They typically use 128K MP3, which is about 10 to 1 compression.
    So you could have five independent channels of constanly streamed audio.

The ISP caps are about p2p movies. They have nothing to do with streamed
    audio.

--
    Pat Farrell
    http://www.pfarrell.com/
    Last edited by pfarrell; 2008-10-11 at 12:12. Reason: fix typo, days in month

Squeezebox Boom FM?

Typo alert:

Pat Farrell wrote:
    > So all you need is a two to one compression, such as you get from FLAC,
    > and you can play music 24 hours a day, 31 days a year.

That should have been 31 days a month, all year, every year.

--
    Pat Farrell
    http://www.pfarrell.com/

In Ireland - the entry level broadband package has a cap of 10Gb/month.

If you want FM stations on your SBs put a FM receiver card in the SC PC's and stream FM through SC.

I tried pleading the case for old-fashioned radio being in the box as well.

Not all ISPs and certainly not all contracts are as generous with their bandwidth caps.
    I know of plenty in UK that are less - but just did a quick search for one in USA and found Frontier - 5GB per month
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=534648

Here is an old thread that went through the pros and cons as seen by both sides.
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...8&highlight=fm
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Quote Originally Posted by autopilot View Post
    Why, what stations cant you get over the net?
    I get just three local FM radio stations that I enjoy and for which I get excellent reception. None of the three have anything better than a 32 kbps radio feed available on the Internet, and the URLs are constantly changing or else the feeds just break for hours or days at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by ModelCitizen View Post
    Isn't it about bandwidth costs?

I surprise myself by thinking it'd be good if there was an FM receiver in the Boom... much of my bandwidth usage (and therefore costs) are now due to BBC Radio 4.

I am convinced that bandwidth restricted broadband will be come the norm (yes, even in the US), so an FM receiver could become something that Logitech could consider adding to the Boom at some point.

Personally I doubt very much if there will be anything like a Boom 2 released in the near future though (or possibly at all)...

MC
    I must admit that I too fall into this camp. I have a very poor broadband connection at home and so used to use it for nothing other than http, imap and ssh. Since getting a Boom, however, my internet radio usage has probably increased to the point of being far above everything else. Basically, I get woken up to BBC Radio 4 every morning and then lie in bed listening to it for at least 15 mins every day. I have another Boom in my kitchen and so also now listen to it when cooking/washing up in the evening. Due to my previous broadband profile, I have a pay per GB plan, so probably now spend more on my internet usage than I used to. This is all due to my now listening to 'FM' far more because I now have a up to date, network media player. Oh, the irony...

So basically, I reckon Logitech owe me. Who do I send the bill to? ;-)

Max
    Some people think the title of this song is irrelevant,
    but it's not irrelevant - it's a hippopotamus.