Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3

    Flac On Ipod in Cars

    I currently have all my cds burnt onto laptop in flac format. I would like to be able to play these in my car so the obvious choice is an ipod and then connect this to a car stereo.

    Is it worth keeping everything in flac to play in my car or would I really not notice any difference if they're in mp3?

    I love flac and really notice a difference on my stereo in the house - just wondered if anyone else has experience of playing flac in cars and if you can still hear the difference.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member toby10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    USA (home of the bottomless credit card)
    Posts
    9,297
    Quote Originally Posted by bluespiano28 View Post
    I currently have all my cds burnt onto laptop in flac format. I would like to be able to play these in my car so the obvious choice is an ipod and then connect this to a car stereo.

    Is it worth keeping everything in flac to play in my car or would I really not notice any difference if they're in mp3?

    I love flac and really notice a difference on my stereo in the house - just wondered if anyone else has experience of playing flac in cars and if you can still hear the difference.

    Thanks
    I know some of the new car head units like Alpine are incorporating FLAC playback support. But I think the general consensus would be that a high quality MP3 would be hard to differentiate from lossless audio in a car environment with all the inherent ambient noise.

    But from a simplicity and organizational standpoint (not having to keep two formats synced & updated) it may well be worth it to stick with your single FLAC rips for car use.

  3. #3
    Senior Member radish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Red Bank, NJ
    Posts
    5,052
    Of course stock ipods don't play FLAC, so you'd either have to transcode or install rockbox.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by radish View Post
    Of course stock ipods don't play FLAC, so you'd either have to transcode or install rockbox.
    Yes I know thank you - would prob convert into apple lossless on my computer first. It's just it would mean the difference between getting an 80gb ipod to play mp3s or a 160gb ipod to play in lossless!

    Thanks for your help

  5. #5
    Senior Member autopilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,371
    Personally, i just use high quality VBR LAME MP3's created from my FLAC library with DBpowerAMP.

    Lossless is wasted on an iPod; the very average DAC, not-so-great headphone AMP, compressed circuitry and lack of a proper line-out means the difference between high bitrate MP3/AAC and lossless is almost entirely negated. And thats not even taking into account the inherent issues with in car noise etc. Add the fact you can carry much more music and using ALAC just seems a bit silly to me.

    Also, if we are talking about the iPod Classic (which i assume we are as it would be pretty pointless on the limited storage of the nano/touch), lossless files will drain the battery faster and reduce the iPod's life span due to increased HDD access - but thats not so much of an issue in a car with a power supply always handy.

    BTW, rockbox Version 3 is now out but still no support for the new iPods or the last generation, so there is no way of playing FLAC's.
    Last edited by autopilot; 2008-09-28 at 08:39.
    Cheers, auto.

    Lounge: Squeezebox 3, Squeezebox Controller, Cambridge Audio 640A, Mission 701's Kitchen: Squeezebox Touch, Trends TA-10.1, Kef Cresta 1's. Bedroom: Squeezebox Boom Bathroom/Garden: Squeezebox Radio Car: iPod Classic 80GB Portable: iPhone 3GS 32Gb (+iPeng)

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by autopilot View Post
    Personally, i just use high quality VBR LAME MP3's created from my FLAC library with DBpowerAMP. BTW, rockbox Version 3 is now out but still no support for the new iPods or the last generation, so there is no way of playing FLAC's.

    Lossless is wasted on an iPod; the very average DAC, not-so-great headphone AMP, compressed circuitry and lack of a proper line-out means the difference between high bitrate MP3/AAC and lossless is almost entirely negated. As thats not even talking into account the inherent issues with in car noise etc. Add the fact you can carry much more music and using ALAC just seems a bit silly to me.

    Also, if we are talking about the iPod Classic (which i assume we are as it would be pretty pointless on the limited storage of the nano/touch), lossless files will drain the battery faster and reduce the iPod's life span due to increased HDD access - but thats not so much of an issue in a car with a power supply always handy.
    Thank you that is a very interesting point - I don't want to spend more money only to not notice a difference

  7. #7
    Senior Member Heuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Nottinghamshire
    Posts
    749
    I have a car with a high quality sound system and I use an iPod with songs in MP3 format. I tried FLAC but with all the other noises going on around you it was impossible to tell the difference between FLAC and MP3. Also, unless your iPod is powered from the car, battery life is about 4 hours with FLAC and 15 hours with MP3.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Eric Seaberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    795
    Quote Originally Posted by Heuer View Post
    I have a car with a high quality sound system and I use an iPod with songs in MP3 format. I tried FLAC but with all the other noises going on around you it was impossible to tell the difference between FLAC and MP3. Also, unless your iPod is powered from the car, battery life is about 4 hours with FLAC and 15 hours with MP3.
    Exactly!! Road noise alone would mask any differences there may be. I transcode to 128kAAC files for my iPods and have never been disappointed. That's still a LOT better than what is received on XM Radio, and I'm on that more than anything else, actually.
    Eric Seaberg - San Diego
    A.E.S., I.E.E.E., S.M.P.T.E., S.P.A.R.S.
    eric@seaberg.com
    _____________________________
    Transporter, Multiple Duets and SB3s

  9. #9
    Senior Member Themis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Montpellier, France
    Posts
    920
    Quote Originally Posted by bluespiano28 View Post
    Yes I know thank you - would prob convert into apple lossless on my computer first. It's just it would mean the difference between getting an 80gb ipod to play mp3s or a 160gb ipod to play in lossless!
    Thanks for your help
    I used to convert certain (important) albums in apple lossless and keep the rest in 320 CBR. I ended up deciding -as others already stated in this thread- that usual 16-20kHz frequencies which are mainly cut from 320 CBR are not audible in a car environment.
    So, now, everything is in a 320CBR.

    (and my friends could attest that I'm rather fussy when it comes to my listening experience ^^)
    SBT - North Star dac 192 - Croft 25Pre and Series 7 power - Sonus Faber Grand Piano Domus

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    9
    I keep my entire collection lossless and prefer not to transfer or hold on to lossy copies. It doesn't really matter to me if you can't tell the difference in the car. I choose to give my money to companies who support lossless audio.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •