Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Hybrid View

Classic VS duet (different DAC specs?)

Does anyone with both a classic and the Duet Receiver can tell me if he could tell the difference between the DAC, the Classic seem to have slightly better spec, but in the end, which one sounds better?

Thanks

This thread covers the debate at some length. Popular opinion seems to find little or no difference for the average user; my Classic and my Duet both sound equally good to me.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...uet+dac&page=2

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by x-cimo View Post
    Does anyone with both a classic and the Duet Receiver can tell me if he could tell the difference between the DAC, the Classic seem to have slightly better spec, but in the end, which one sounds better?

Thanks
    I own the Transporter, many SB3s, a Duet, an SBR (Receiver), and a Boom. The SB3 and Duet are fairly well matched. Of course they are different, but in very subtle ways and in different places. In the bigger picture it is not going to matter and sound wise its basically a tie. Pick the one that has the best utility for what you are trying to accomplish. You really can't go wrong with either one of them from using powered speakers all the way up to mid-fi.

If this is for your main system and it is a high-end two-channel system, look at buying either a Transporter or Duet/SB3 with a nice DAC.
    Last edited by iPhone; 2008-09-24 at 10:24.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive