Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Errors while starting Slimserver 6.1.1

I had SlimServer 6.1.1 working fine for a few days on my Gentoo system, but earlier today I was changing some options to let it play some different formats and when I restarted the server it spewed out a long list of errors. Reversing my changes didn't help either. These errors were:

* Starting SlimServer ...
    Use of uninitialized value in join or string at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.7/File/Spec/Unix.pm line 73.
    Use of uninitialized value in join or string at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.7/File/Spec/Unix.pm line 73.
    Use of uninitialized value in require at (eval 5) line 2.
    Use of uninitialized value in require at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.7/i686-linux/Time/HiRes.pm line 7.
    Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.7/i686-linux/DynaLoader.pm line 181.
    Use of uninitialized value in require at (eval 7) line 2.
    Use of uninitialized value in require at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.7/i686-linux/DBD/SQLite.pm line 6.
    Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.7/i686-linux/DynaLoader.pm line 181.
    Use of uninitialized value in require at (eval 9) line 2.
    Use of uninitialized value in require at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.7/i686-linux/XML/Parser.pm line 14.
    Use of uninitialized value in require at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.7/i686-linux/XML/Parser/Expat.pm line 499.
    Use of uninitialized value in require at (eval 10) line 2.
    Use of uninitialized value in require at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.7/i686-linux/HTML/Parser.pm line 14.
    Use of uninitialized value in require at (eval 11) line 2.
    Use of uninitialized value in require at /opt/slimserver/slimserver.pl line 192.
    Use of uninitialized value in require at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.7/XML/Simple.pm line 1538.
    Use of uninitialized value in require at /opt/slimserver/slimserver.pl line 203.
    Use of uninitialized value in require at /opt/slimserver/slimserver.pl line 203.
    Can't locate Slim/Utils/Misc.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /CPAN /CPAN/arch/5.8.7/i686-linux /CPAN/arch/5.8.7/i686-linux/auto /CPAN/arch/5.8/i686-linux /CPAN/arch/5.8/i686-linux/auto /CPAN/arch/i686-linux /etc/perl /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7/i686-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.7/i686-linux /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.7 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.7/i686-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.7 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /opt/slimserver/slimserver.pl line 203.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /opt/slimserver/slimserver.pl line 203.
    Use of uninitialized value in require at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.7/AutoLoader.pm line 92 during global destruction.
    Use of uninitialized value in require at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.7/AutoLoader.pm line 92 during global destruction.

Obviously the server didn't start at all. Any ideas?

I have been having the same problem, but I found that if you change to the directory /opt/slimserver and then run the startup script it starts!

cd /opt/slimserver
    /etc/init.d/slimserver start

Bingo, it goes! I think you only need to do this the forst time, and after that it has "taught" itself where all its own modules are (damned if I know anything about perl really, that is a guess.)

OK I m wrong about that. I need to cd to /opt/slimserver to make it go each time.

Same on both gentoo boxes. Very weird.

I suspect this has to do with how you are becoming root. If you do "su", you're .profile is not sourced and your HOME environment variable is inherited. If you "su -" instead, root's home environment is like that of a true root login.

MrC thanks for your reply. I have tried starting it using sudo, su and su -.

The result is the same either way.

I'm sorry, I was not thinking very clearly.

It looks like your slimserver is trying to use your system's CPAN modules:

/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.7/File/Spec/Unix.pm

vs. those that are installed with slimserver. When slimserver.pl starts, it adjusts where perl will look for modules, and adds its CPAN directory at the front of the INC path. Since you system's modules are being used, that would indicate that the slimserver home directory value is not set. This error line proves this too:

Can't locate Slim/Utils/Misc.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /CPAN /C

Note that your INC includes /CPAN, when it should include /opt/slimserver/CPAN instead.

This occurs when permissions are incorrect. Check the permissions of you /opt/slimserver directory and files with:

ls -ld /opt/slimserver
    ls -l /opt/slimserver
    ls -l /etc/slimserver.conf