Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Threaded View

Howto: Install SqueezeCenter 7.2 on D-Link DNS-323

How to install SqueezeCenter 7.2 on D-Link DNS-323

I've documented the steps I used to install SqueezeCenter 7.2 on a DNS-323. By looking for how to do it, I only found explanation explaining how to install an older version by chrooting to a debian or statements saying that it could never run on a DNS-323, so I decided to try it by myself.
    And finally it turned out to be possible and quite usable (the web front-end is a bit slow, but I don't care because I don't use it quite often).
    There may be a shorter way, but these steps worked for me twice (I retried from scratch in order to write this tutorial).

I've tried to describe all commands, so that even a UNIX newbie can copy and paste all commands in a telnet session and get it work.
    When you see a line like this:
    "/mnt/HD_a2/ffp # rsync -av inreto.de::dns323/fun-plug/0.5/packages ."
    It shows you the current path where you should normally be when entering the command (/mnt/HD_a2/ffp #) and the command to type (rsync -av inreto.de::dns323/fun-plug/0.5/packages .) => type/copy the command from the #.

Yannick

---------------------------------------------------

Starting point: DNS-323, Firmware Version 1.05

###########################################
    1) Prepare the DNS-323 and install ffp 0.5:
    ###########################################
    1.1) Log in the administration UI of the DNS-323, go to the tab Advanced/Users and add a new user 'squeezecenter'

1.2) Download and install the Fonz Fun-Plug 0.5 as described under http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug/0.5/ to get telnet access to the DNS-323. (Copy fun_plug and fun_plug.tgz to Volume 1 and reboot)

1.3) Install all the additional ffp0.5 packages. (You certainly don't need all of them, but disk space is the only thing I have enough on my DNS-323 and I didn't want to search long for what is necessary or not. Not that after the SqueezeCenter is installed you can still remove unused packages if you need more disk space)
    Code:
    telnet ip_of_your_dns323
    / # cd ffp
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp # rsync -av inreto.de::dns323/fun-plug/0.5/packages .
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp # cd packages
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/packages # funpkg -i *.tgz
    At this point, you have telnet access on your DNS-323 and the most important unix programs and services (compiler, perl, mysql, etc...) are installed on it

#############################
    2) Configure and start mysql:
    #############################
    Mysql is the database used by SqueezeCenter to store all the metadata of your music collection. By default SqueezeCenter starts its own instance of mysql and ignores any existing mysql installation. In the case of the DNS-323 we want Squeezecenter to use the mysql instance which is installed on the system (installed in the previous step), because memory is short and SqueezeCenter doesn't provide a mysql binary for ARM.

2.1) Create a configuration file for mysql:
    The ffp installation of mysql comes without working configuration file. We have to copy it from the examples directory and modify it to indicate a path for the database which exists in the DNS323:
    Code:
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/packages # cd /ffp/etc
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/etc # cp examples/mysql/my-small.cnf my.cnf
    Edit the new created configuration file my.cnf (use either vi to edit the file from within the telnet session, or if you don't know how to use vi, give write access to all user to the file 'chmod 666 my.cnf', open the file in a text editor from your computer, and restore the write access after the modification with 'chmod 644 my.cnf')
    - search for the section [mysqld] and add the line 'datadir = /ffp/var/mysql' after the line 'thread_stack = 64K'. You should have something like that:
    Code:
    # The MySQL server
    [mysqld]
    port		= 3306
    socket		= /ffp/var/run/mysql/mysql.sock
    skip-locking
    key_buffer = 16K
    max_allowed_packet = 1M
    table_cache = 4
    sort_buffer_size = 64K
    read_buffer_size = 256K
    read_rnd_buffer_size = 256K
    net_buffer_length = 2K
    thread_stack = 64K
    datadir = /ffp/var/mysql
    2.2) Install the mysql database
    Code:
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/etc # mysql_install_db
    2.3) Make mysql start automatically at boot time
    Code:
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/etc # cd /ffp/start/
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/start # chmod a+x mysqld.sh
    2.4) Starts manually mysql
    Code:
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/start # sh mysqld.sh start
    2.5) Secure mysql
    Code:
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/start # mysql_secure_installation
    Answer to the questions as follow:
    Code:
    - Set root password? [Y/n] Y
    - New password: yourpassword
    - Remove anonymous users? [Y/n] Y
    - Disallow root login remotely? [Y/n] Y
    - Remove test database and access to it? [Y/n] Y
    - Reload privilege tables now? [Y/n] Y
    2.6) Create the squeezecenter database
    Code:
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/start # mysql -u root -p
    Enter password: your_root_password

mysql> create database squeezecenter;
    mysql> grant all on squeezecenter.* to squeezecenter identified by 'your_password';
    mysql> flush privileges;
    mysql> quit
    At that point you have a running MySQL installation and an empty squeezecenter database that SqueezeCenter can use. MySQL will start automatically when your reboot the DNS-323

#########################################
    3) Download and install SqueezeCenter 7.2
    #########################################

3.1) Download and unzip SqueezeCenter 7.2:
    Code:
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/start # cd /mnt/HD_a2/
    /mnt/HD_a2 # wget http://downloads.slimdevices.com/SqueezeCenter_v7.2.0/squeezecenter-7.2-noCPAN.tgz
    /mnt/HD_a2 # tar xvfz squeezecenter-7.2-noCPAN.tgz 
    /mnt/HD_a2 # cd squeezecenter-7.2-noCPAN/
    3.2) Modify the header of the .pl files so that it uses /ffp/bin/perl instead of /bin/perl
    - Edit slimserver.pl and scanner.pl and modify the first line to be:
    Code:
    #!/ffp/bin/perl -w
    Last edited by yannick; 2008-09-17 at 15:36. Reason: Better formatting