Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Boom wifi signal strength

Has anyone compared signal strength on the Boom to other SB products? I fancy one for my bedroom, but concerned that the wifi signal is weak there.

I could put some other product in there (Receiver, Controller, SB3) and do a signal test, but it would help to know whether the Boom gets a better (or worse) signal than any of these, so I can guess the Boom's signal and whether it should work.

So comparisons of the Boom with any non-Transporter Slim product in a weakish signal zone would be most welcome
    PC, JRiver/Qobuz, Digital XO, Asus Xonar u7, Restek Sextet, JBL L300
    LMS: 3xBoom, 1xRadio, SB3

From memory it was supposed to be better than the other current SB products because of more room for the antenna (and better positioning, too, I think). "Equal" to an older model with an external antenna. Again, this is from memory.

I haven't done a head to head check but I think that I've had the controller drop out from time to time (and those are extremely rare as well) but never the boom.

One other caveat, though, is that I'm using a Belkin pre-n wireless router and that may provide longer range than "typical".

I swapped my Boom into the space where my SB2 lived (external antenna) and the signal/connectivity is a little bit weaker, but not much. My signal strength at the top of the house is about 58% with the SB2 and about 54% with the Boom.

he Boom definitely performs better than the Duet for signal strength, so I would hazzard a guess it performs as well if not better than an SB3.
    Who am I on LAST.FM?
    "Siduhe Loved Tracks radio got the thumbs up. Feedback included: yeah, it's good... got the odd dodgy track tho..." (c) ModelCitizen

Quote Originally Posted by adamslim View Post
    Has anyone compared signal strength on the Boom to other SB products? I fancy one for my bedroom, but concerned that the wifi signal is weak there.

I could put some other product in there (Receiver, Controller, SB3) and do a signal test, but it would help to know whether the Boom gets a better (or worse) signal than any of these, so I can guess the Boom's signal and whether it should work.

So comparisons of the Boom with any non-Transporter Slim product in a weakish signal zone would be most welcome
    I have had my Boom in all the places I have had an SB3 and it works just fine. On taking actual measurements, the Boom ranks between the SB2 and SB3. The SB2 is slightly better overall. The Boom bettered the SB3 in every location and walked all over the SBR. So if one has a Duet or SBR, they could use that to test with. If the SBR works, the Boom will have no issues at all. If its edgy for the SBR but the SB3 is OK, the Boom will do fine.

So in the end, if wanting a device that is closest to the Boom, I would go with the SB3.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

I had issues when I moved homes with my SB3 getting signal in its new location - ended up connecting a wireless bridge that had an external antenna to the wired port, and everything is perfect again. I can even hide the bridge (to preseve that coveted antennaless look) and I'm still perfect.

My Boom, on the other hand, when sitting in the same spot as the SB3, has no issues at all, using its built in wireless. I don't have an SB2, Duet, or Controller to compare to, but it's in the 80% range, where the SB3 can't play a FLAC without stuttering (don't remember what the exact strength was.) All of this is from a DLink DGL-5400 router, which is some kind of weird pre-N.
    A Touch + Cambridge DAC Magic has replaced my venerable SB3. May it rest in peace.

http://www.last.fm/user/androidtopp

I've had my Boom for a couple days. Connects easily all over my house except the garage. Funny thing is if I connect it just before moving it to the garage it continues to work fine - music streams perfectly, but if I shut it down for more than about 30 minutes it won't connect unless I move it closer to my wifi station. Seems if it can stream it should be able to connect - any thoughts on that?

Boom wifi signal strength

ramiles wrote:
    > I've had my Boom for a couple days. Connects easily all over my house
    > except the garage. Funny thing is if I connect it just before moving
    > it to the garage it continues to work fine - music streams perfectly,
    > but if I shut it down for more than about 30 minutes it won't connect
    > unless I move it closer to my wifi station. Seems if it can stream it
    > should be able to connect - any thoughts on that?

I have a problem with occasional connections on my Boom. I think its
    failing to make the DHCP connection within time.

I generally can make it connect by manually entering a TCP/IP address.
    This is a PITA, but works. I haven't isolated it well enough to be sure
    what is happening.

Pat

--
    Pat Farrell
    http://www.pfarrell.com/