Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is teh advantage of SB over just using the computer?

I am going to set me old laptop, ThinkPad T23 with win2K next to my stereo. If I understand all this correctly I can run the SqueezeCenter on the laptop and stream to a receiver hooked to the stereo and do all my controlling from the SC on the laptop, so I think I will have no need for the (expensive) remote.

what is the advantage of doing that instead of just getting an external sound card like Turtle Beach Audio Advantage SRM which has line out, or some other comparable sound card. How much better will the DAC and drivers on the SB receiver be?

My stereo system is nothing special, a Yamaha Receiver with Klipch bookshelf speakers in one room and a second set of Polk speakers in another room

Thanks
    Jack

SB Touch optical to Hegel H90, Speakers Larsen 4.2
    Spare SB3
    AirPlay Bridge to Audio Pro A10
    Squeezelite-x connected to home LMS with Neorouter.
    SB Radio
    ReadyNAS 202
    iPeng

other way around

since my wife already uses windows media player to play stuff on her PC she would not have to learn something new if I just get a good sound card for the laptop

there's a pile of advantages to the SB but perhaps in your situation one of the key factors is aesthetics. Connecting a laptop to your main stereo is just plain ugly and bulky.

not to mention that Squeezeboxes are like potato chips.

After you get one for the living room, you will want another for the bedroom, one for the study, etc.

This is possible (but spendy) by deploying laptops everywhere... but then you cant synchronize the audio, the playlists, the music files themselves, etc, easily.

The T23 has fans and a mechanical hard drive, correct? If so, then no matter what quality sound output you manage to get from that thing, the T23 will always produce much more ambient noise than a dead-silent Squeezebox. You would, of course, have to make sure the T23 isn't in the same room as the Squeezebox to see this advantage.

To summarize and supplement:

1. Appearance/aesthetics/space utilization
    2. Functionality
    3. Sound minimization in listening area
    4. Ease of use
    5. Remote control
    6. Simplicity for advanced capabilities
    7. Image/impression - cool vs geeky/cheap

Pick the approach best suited to your situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post
    I am going to set me old laptop, ThinkPad T23 with win2K next to my stereo. If I understand all this correctly I can run the SqueezeCenter on the laptop and stream to a receiver hooked to the stereo and do all my controlling from the SC on the laptop, so I think I will have no need for the (expensive) remote.

what is the advantage of doing that instead of just getting an external sound card like Turtle Beach Audio Advantage SRM which has line out, or some other comparable sound card. How much better will the DAC and drivers on the SB receiver be?

My stereo system is nothing special, a Yamaha Receiver with Klipch bookshelf speakers in one room and a second set of Polk speakers in another room

Thanks
    Jack
    Nobody has mentioned Internet Radio without a PC being on.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

If you're happy dedicating a PC or laptop to use as a music playback system, then there may be very little advantage to you. Most of the people I know who play computer-based audio play it straight from the computer. Or else they use an iPod. There are advantages in the simplicity of your approach, not the least of which is being able to use any playback software that runs on the computer you choose.

The main advantage to me when I first discovered Squeezebox was the "separation" factor. I can have my computer with all my music files in another room and play music on my stereo system. The Squeezebox solved a very simple problem - that of getting music from the PC _to_ the stereo. I have a friend who was facing the same issue a little before I found Squeezebox. He had his Mac in his home office, and stereo in his living room, separated by about 30 feet. His solution was to craft some very long interconnects and run them through the attic from the office to the living room. Needless to say, the Squeezebox is a much simpler and more elegant solution.

Thanks
    Jack
    If you set it up this way, you are right - there really isn't much advantage to using a SB. The point of the SB is that the server can be hidden anywhere where you have network connectivity. If you are worried about spending $$$ on the SB controller, then get an SB3 from Amazon for ~$220. Or, if you are adventerous, get an SB Receiver and use the tool that somebody here wrote to set it up. The advantage of the SB3 would be you could use the RF remote.

SqueezeCenter has a web interface that can be accessed outside the server, so you could sit on the couch with your laptop (one other than the T23 you are using as the server) and control the player. Or you can use the RF remote that comes with the SB3.

Hope that makes some sense.
    Rich
    ---------
    Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch, iPeng on iPod Touch, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze, and SqueezePlayer on Xoom and Galaxy Player 4.2. CentOS 6.3 Server running LogitechMediaServer 7.7.2 and SqueezeSlave.
    Current library stats: 40,810 songs, 3,153 albums, 582 artists.
    http://www.last.fm/user/maggior