This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pski

Originally posted by iPhone
    Look in the WIKI. I believe any Slim Device (know all the new ones can) be used remotely over the Internet with the proper setup to see your home server. If you just want music and have an Internet connection log onto SqueezeNetwork.

The safe way of course is with a Static IP address for the remote location. You only allow that static IP to have access to and from specific ports. That makes it faily safe and ones home connection and server don't have to be wide open just to play remotely.
    Looking in the instruction book, there are indications that the SC and Boom must be on the same network segment...

Thanks for your help.

Comment

• Mark Miksis
      formerly known as Fletch
      • May 2005

Originally posted by pski
      Looking in the instruction book, there are indications that the SC and Boom must be on the same network segment...
      This is implied by the documentation, but is not true. Different IP subnets are fine.

Comment

• pski

Originally posted by Fletch
        This is implied by the documentation, but is not true. Different IP subnets are fine.
        I don't mean to split hair but there is a difference between "different IP subnets" and a TOTALLY different network.

Different IP subnets are governed by the subnet mask.

Different networks require the specification of a complete IP target in this case.

P

Comment

• Mark Miksis
          formerly known as Fletch
          • May 2005

Originally posted by pski
          I don't mean to split hair but there is a difference between "different IP subnets" and a TOTALLY different network.

Different IP subnets are governed by the subnet mask.

Different networks require the specification of a complete IP target in this case.
          I'm not sure I really agree with your distinction, but my point was this:

On both the Boom and SB classic you can enter any IP address, public or private, for an SC instance and it will work fine as long as a route exists to that destination. I don't have an SBR, but I assume the same is true if you use Net-UDAP.

Comment

• digitaria
            • Nov 2007

Question, which I don't think is answered in the FAQ - if an Ethernet lead is plugged into the Boom, is the wireless automatically deactivated? Or can the wireless be switched off manually?

This question probably applies to other Slim Devices also, but the Boom is likely to be sitting very close to your head if you locate it in a bedroom and you might not want radio energy being generated so close to you for prolonged periods.

TIA

Comment

• funkstar
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by digitaria
              Question, which I don't think is answered in the FAQ - if an Ethernet lead is plugged into the Boom, is the wireless automatically deactivated? Or can the wireless be switched off manually?

This question probably applies to other Slim Devices also, but the Boom is likely to be sitting very close to your head if you locate it in a bedroom and you might not want radio energy being generated so close to you for prolonged periods.
              As with all the Squeeze devices, the wireless is switched off when an ethernet connection is selected. An ethernet cable can be plugged in and the device still set to use wireless during initial setup. But once it is connected on ethernet the wireless card is turned off.

On the radio signals issue, switch that cell phone off first!

[Project Log] Funkstars Digital Lifestyle - HEXUS.Community

In use: 1x Touch, 1x Boom, 2x SB3, 1x Controller
              In a box: 1x Radio, 1x (Beta) Controller, 1x Receiver, 1x SB2 wired (silver), 1x SB (black), 1x SliMP3 (with rear shield)

If you have any others, let me know, I'm interested!!

Comment

• Ben Sandee

Squeezebox Boom FAQ

> On the radio signals issue, switch that cell phone off first!

Or at the very least, stop using your iPhone as an iPillow.

Ben

Comment

• IRJ
                  • Aug 2006

Line In Audio Volume

I just connected the line out of my LCD TV into the Line IN of my SqueezeBox Boom (also tried stereo OUT into Line IN) and I am having VERY LOW AUDIO Volume, even when I put the Boom onto 100% Volume. Is there any fix for this? Or work around.
                  It's quite disappointing as in regular MP3 and internet radio playing the Boom is great.

Comment

• Caleb Crome
                    Logitech Squeezebox Employee
                    • Jun 2008

Squeezebox Boom FAQ

You have 3 volume settings:

The volume on your TV
                    The line-in-volume setting on Squeezebox (Settings->Audio->Line-In Volume)
                    The main-volume on Squeezebox.

What is each set to?

-Caleb

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 4:39 PM, IRJ
                    <IRJ.3k8awn1228956003 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
                    >
                    > I just connected the line out of my LCD TV into the Line IN of my
                    > SqueezeBox Boom (also tried stereo OUT into Line IN) and I am having
                    > VERY LOW AUDIO Volume, even when I put the Boom onto 100% Volume. Is
                    > there any fix for this? Or work around.
                    > It's quite disappointing as in regular MP3 and internet radio playing
                    > the Boom is great.
                    >
                    >
                    > --
                    > IRJ
                    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    > IRJ's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=7031
                    > View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=51954
                    >
                    >
                    Caleb Crome
                    Sr. Hardware Engineer
                    Logitech SMBU (i.e. the Squeezebox people)

The future is here. It's just not widely distributed yet. -William Gibson

Comment

• IRJ
                      • Aug 2006

[QUOTE=ccrome2;368732]You have 3 volume settings:

The volume on your TV
                      The line-in-volume setting on Squeezebox (Settings->Audio->Line-In Volume)
                      The main-volume on Squeezebox.

What is each set to?

-Caleb

The TV Volume is set to Mute and in any case changing that volume doesn't appear to have effect on the Boom.

Ahh I didn't realise the Line IN had a separate volume control to the Boom itself. I will go and play with this and report back. Had to bel;ieve I was missing something!
                      Thanks

Comment

• hazymat
                        • Jun 2006

Fantastic FAQ

One of the best written, most concise, and most informational FAQs I have ever read about a product.

I am a complete obsessive when it comes to some of the details the writers went into on that FAQ, (especially info about residual noise from speakers!) and all my questions were answered perfectly.

Thank you! Now to buy one...
                        ---
                        Mat Smith

Comment

• bigchris
                          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Caleb Crome
                          The new Squeezebox Boom FAQ is located here

-Caleb

I just tried to read the FAQ and am getting a browser error that it can't establish a connection to the web page. PC is working fine otherwise, so is this URL outdated?

Comment

• Kevint
                            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by bigchris
                            I just tried to read the FAQ and am getting a browser error that it can't establish a connection to the web page. PC is working fine otherwise, so is this URL outdated?
                            A little slow to load but works for me.

Kevin
                            SB3, Boom, Touch

Comment

• bigchris
                              • Apr 2009

Working now

Yep it's working now.

Comment

• vs27
                                • Nov 2010

I saw in the Wiki for the Boom that the headphone jack was also a sub-woofer output. Has anyone done this and what sub was used?

Comment

Working...