Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 288 of 792 FirstFirst ... 188238278286287288289290298338388788 ... LastLast
Results 2,871 to 2,880 of 7914
    Quote Originally Posted by stan323 View Post
    I just posted a ticket about this. I've been looking around but starting to feel like I am the only one having this problem...

When I use group control to sync my squeezebox boom, mac with squeezeplay installed, and iphone with playback iPeng constantly crashes. Somehow I have gotten it to work a few times, but mostly it just freezes up whenever I play a track.

This is happening despite the fact that I don't have any problem when it is just my phone and squeezeplay synched, or my phone and the boom synched. I do not have any problems when controlling all three devices unsynched either.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?!

iphone 3GS 2.4
    mac OSX 10.6.4
    iPeng 1.3.1
    I never tried this. Will give it some testing mileage.
    What file format are you using? Could it be it's something that needs to be transcoded for the Boom, e.g. AAC?
    Although that doesn't really explain why it works if you sync with the Boom alone.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    What file format are you using? Could it be it's something that needs to be transcoded for the Boom, e.g. AAC?
    Although that doesn't really explain why it works if you sync with the Boom alone.
    Much of my music is in AAC, Apple Lossless. But it is also happening with Mp3s. If their is something I should try, please let me know.

thanks for the reply!

Red face

OK, did some cursory testing with codec in mind. It appears that I gave some inaccurate information the first time around. Codecs are definitely a determining factor in this problem.

What I can do:

-With an Mp3: Anything. Any combination including all three devices at once. I can switch to other mp3s and mess with the playlist. Everything plays, no crashing.

-With the Squeezebox and my phone synched: Mp3 or AAC (Apple Lossless) files. No problems here at all.

-With the Squeezeplay and my phone synched: only Mp3; switching to AAC (Apple Lossless) causes the album art to show, the track timing to run, but no sound to come out of either device. When I close iPeng, the music starts playing on Squeezeplay. When I open iPeng again, the music stops and iPeng eventually crashes. To fix this I need to clear the playlist before it crashes. Then it crashes again. Reopen and play an Mp3.

-With all three devices synched the behavior is the same as when I just have the Squeezeplay and the phone synched.

-Lastly, the Squeezebox and Squeezeplay play nice together with AAC or Mp3.

So, there is a clear solution: don't use AAC if I want my phone and Squeezeplay to work together.

But I encode much of my music on an external hard drive in FLAC, and then store it on my computer in AAC so I can get it onto my iphone. This way I have my library backed up, I have high quality music, and I can still use idevices and share music with my flacphobic friends.

My questions now are...

1) Why is this happening/Is this expected?

2) Is their a potential fix?

3) Would it be different if I was using FLAC for my lossless music?

I can see that you are very dedicated to answering the many questions you receive, and to improving the product based on user feedback. Thank you! And thank you for an excellent product... even if it is giving me a bit of trouble at the moment.

S

1) it's definitely not expected.
    If you play an AAC file synced between iPeng and SqueezePlay, could you "hold" the cover in iPeng to get the NowPlaying context menu and look at the file type in "More Info"? I would need the info for both iPeng and SqueezePlay, in SqueezePlay you can get it by going to the current playlist and "holding" the current track.

2. I don't have a fix but at least the crashes should be fixable.
    Here's what I suspect: iPeng can play AAC natively, Boom can not, I don't know about SqueezePlay. I guess that for some reason your server transcodes to PCM/WAV (instead of FLAC) when you sync with SqueezePlay. iPeng can't play WAV.
    OR SqueezePlay fir some reason enforces transcoding to mp3 and your server doesn't have lame installed (see Settings->Player Settings->Audio, I believe).

Edit: I believe FLAC should always work.
    ---
    at penguinlovesmusic.com

Playback Gap

In playing with the playback function so much in the past 24 hrs, I also noticed something that may be of interest to iPeng users. It seems that when I have my phone and other devices synched there is initially a gap with playback. After skipping a song or two from my phone it often disappears, and sounds to be perfectly in sync. If I then change tracks from my computer it reappears.

Does this match what others are experiencing?

1) it's definitely not expected.
    If you play an AAC file synced between iPeng and SqueezePlay, could you "hold" the cover in iPeng to get the NowPlaying context menu and look at the file type in "More Info"? I would need the info for both iPeng and SqueezePlay, in SqueezePlay you can get it by going to the current playlist and "holding" the current track.
    Just did that upon crash while iPeng and Squeezeplay were synched. Here is what they say:

iPeng:

File Format: Apple Lossless
    Bitrate: 587kbps VBR (Converted to 705kbps FLAC)
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    File Length: 11,296,332

Squeezeplay:

File Format: Apple Lossless
    Bitrate: 587kbps VBR (Converted to 705kbps FLAC)
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    File Length: 11,296,332

Problem with FLAC too?

Alright, I just reproduced the problem exactly with a FLAC file.

Same behavior with iPeng and Squeezeplay synched. Album art shows, track timer moving, no sound.

With Squeezebox and iPeng, no problems.

With Squeezebox and Squeezeplay no problems.

When I went to more info, the file type said FLAC for Squeezeplay and iPeng. The only other area of note seemed to be that this time under Bitrate it just gave the number and VBR, no mention of "converted".

Quote Originally Posted by stan323 View Post
    In playing with the playback function so much in the past 24 hrs, I also noticed something that may be of interest to iPeng users. It seems that when I have my phone and other devices synched there is initially a gap with playback. After skipping a song or two from my phone it often disappears, and sounds to be perfectly in sync. If I then change tracks from my computer it reappears.

Does this match what others are experiencing?
    Generally, syncing with iPeng's playback is not supposed to be supported. It can work well if the streams start in sync or if iPeng is the "faster" player but it doesn't actively stay in sync.
    ---
    at penguinlovesmusic.com

Generally, syncing with iPeng's playback is not supposed to be supported. It can work well if the streams start in sync or if iPeng is the "faster" player but it doesn't actively stay in sync.
    Didn't mean to imply that they were actively synching, just noticed that skipping a couple tracks had a positive effect, and was curious if others have found this to be the case.

Yep, I've not been able to get my ipeng exactly in sync with my other players. All running off SbS, and other players are all ethernet connected. I can get it "close" but not close enough to not be annoying! Still a great feature though!