Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Squeezecenter: internet bandwidth needed

I am thinking of putting up a Squeezecenter server (for my own use) at a remote location. Can I use it with a Squeezebox by connecting to it over the internet? If so, what upstream bandwidth would be required (just 1 client simultaneously), would all features be available, and what ports would I need to forward? Will this slow down operation? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fredz View Post
    I am thinking of putting up a Squeezecenter server (for my own use) at a remote location. Can I use it with a Squeezebox by connecting to it over the internet?
    Sure.

If so, what upstream bandwidth would be required (just 1 client simultaneously),
    Depends on the file format obviously. Uncompressed 16/44 WAV would be around 1.3Mbit/s - everything else less than that.

what ports would I need to forward?
    Off the top of my head 3483, 9000 and 9090.

Will this slow down operation?
    Depends on your latency.

Thanks, Radish, but how do I add my squeezebox manually to squeezecenter? All ports are open, but my squeezecenter is on a totally different network than my squeezebox (different internet connections).

Make sure you read http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...ectingRemotely (pay attention to the parts about security!)

As for upstream bandwidth, if you install LAME on your server you can choose to convert on-the-fly to any bitrate you want.

Once you connect to the SC for the first time, you should see your remote player in the Players list.
    Family Room: Receiver; Kitchen: Boom; Garden: Classic; Bedroom: Boom; Anywhere: Controller, SqueezeCommander, Android SqueezePlayer
    last.fm

Yes, but I am connecting my Transporter remotely, I am not using Softsqueeze. Anyway, it works, kind of. I can access my library, but when I select a station or track, nothing happens. It buffers the stream and says 'Playing' but can't hear anything. The player is identified as NULL in SqueezeCenter... All ports are forwarded afaik.