Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hum, Buzz & Suitability as an Alarm Clock

This is mainly aimed at the Beta testers I suppose.

I know that one of the main features of the SBB is it's use as an alarm clock but I was wondering if when you have both the power supply and actual SBB next to your bed can you hear any humming or buzzing at all?

Thanks

Note in the audio design document that Dean posted: "Production units have foam around the wires to prevent buzzing."

This is obviously an area that they've been keen to address and based on my experience with SD, I'm sure an area they've succeeded in.

No hiss or hum here.

If you press your ear directly to the speaker grille there's a faint hiss, but I sleep 12-18" away from it with the speaker aimed directly at my left ear and I can't hear it at night - and I'm a light sleeper.

The power supply is a switching power supply and doesn't make any noise at all.
    Current: SB2, Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), SBC (early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta), Squeezebox Touch (late beta)
    Selling: Transporter
    Sold: SB3, Duet

boom@lists.slimdevices.com

Hum, Buzz & Suitability as an Alarm Clock

On Aug 28, 2008, at 8:43 AM, boom (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com wrote:
    > If you press your ear directly to the speaker grille there's a faint
    > hiss, but I sleep 12-18" away from it with the speaker aimed directly
    > at my left ear and I can't hear it at night - and I'm a light sleeper.

This very quiet hiss was discovered just a day or two ago and we'll do
    our best to address it in a future software update.

There was a LOT of work done to minimize buzz, hum and hiss. I may be
    a bit biased but I think Boom sounds amazing, especially considering
    the price.

I can confirm what Mark says. I used it 2 feet from my head while sleeping for a while and it never had a hum or buzz. I now keep it across the room from my bed but that is only for ease of accessing a power outlet because I move it around a lot.
    Sue
    "If you're happy and you know it turn the volume up and blow it out."

In Use: 1 Touch | 1 Booms | 6 Radios (Sold: 1 Boom | 1 Duet | 1 SB2)
    HP Proliant N54G | Logitech Media Server 7.9 | iPhone & iPad w/ iPeng
    Find me on Last.FM | Twitter | Rhapsody
    My Journey to Musical Bliss | Squeezebox is Dead. Long Live Squeezebox.

I am a light sleeper, mine is across the room, and neither the sound nor the light bothers me at night. It auto-dims (in case no one mentioned that yet).

Mine is about 4ft from the bed on a shelf facing me... and I am a VERY light sleeper (usually up most of the night). The VFD gets just dark enough that it doesnt bother me, but is still readable when I wake up. There is zero noise coming from the Boom as far as I can tell.

Also the alarm fades-on, which is a very nice touch because I can quickly get up and turn it off before it wakes my wife up too much...

Yes, the auto-dimming is wonderful. I am very fussy about having any light in the room while sleeping and the dimness of the Boom at night is just right. I've replaced my SB2 with the Boom in the bedroom because of the auto-dimming.
    Sue
    "If you're happy and you know it turn the volume up and blow it out."

In Use: 1 Touch | 1 Booms | 6 Radios (Sold: 1 Boom | 1 Duet | 1 SB2)
    HP Proliant N54G | Logitech Media Server 7.9 | iPhone & iPad w/ iPeng
    Find me on Last.FM | Twitter | Rhapsody
    My Journey to Musical Bliss | Squeezebox is Dead. Long Live Squeezebox.

Quote Originally Posted by elziko View Post
    This is mainly aimed at the Beta testers I suppose.

I know that one of the main features of the SBB is it's use as an alarm clock but I was wondering if when you have both the power supply and actual SBB next to your bed can you hear any humming or buzzing at all?

Thanks
    With the outboard switching power supply and the use of digital amps, I have never heard any buzzing or humming from my Boom. They did a great job and knew what type of places folks were going to put them into. I really enjoy using the Boom to get to sleep. Just put some nature tracks on, set the sleep, and drift away. No worry that my Stereo Receiver is on all night like when I used the SB3.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone View Post
    I really enjoy using the Boom to get to sleep. Just put some nature tracks on, set the sleep, and drift away. No worry that my Stereo Receiver is on all night like when I used the SB3.
    Gratuitous self-promotion: I think anybody using the sleep mode should check out my SleepFade plugin. I use it frequently with the SN nature sounds to help my toddler go to sleep and ensure the sound fades out more gradually. I can't take credit for the idea (see http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=32664) but I sure do find it handy.

Oh, and you should look at IR Blaster, Power Switch, and PowerCenter for that stereo receiver!
    owner of the stuff at https://tuxreborn.netlify.com/
    (which used to reside at www.tux.org/~peterw/)
    Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend much time on the forums.
    Free plugins: AllQuiet Auto Dim/AutoDisplay BlankSaver ContextMenu DenonSerial
    FuzzyTime KidsPlay KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
    SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock