Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tomjtx
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by opaqueice
    Just picked up a bottle of the Bowmore 18 ($60 - not bad, eh?). It's beautiful.
    Finally, we are talking about important things :-)

Comment

• Pat Farrell
      • Apr 2005

320kbps Mp3's on a hi-fi system....

tomjtx wrote:
      > opaqueice;341571 Wrote:
      >> Just picked up a bottle of the Bowmore 18 ($60 - not bad, eh?). It's
      >> beautiful.

>
      > Finally, we are talking about important things :-)

I've often wondered why the audiophile magazines don't have ads for
      scotch, cigars, etc. All go well with serious listening.

--
      Pat Farrell

Pat
      http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimse...msoftware.html

Comment

• Themis
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by pfarrell
        I've often wondered why the audiophile magazines don't have ads for
        scotch, cigars, etc. All go well with serious listening.
        Because of some laws made by some not-so-serious listeners
        SBT - North Star dac 192 - Croft 25Pre and Series 7 power - Sonus Faber Grand Piano Domus

Comment

• DeVerm
          • Jun 2008

Just picked up a bottle of the Bowmore 18 ($60 - not bad, eh?). It's beautiful.
          You'll never buy the younger one again ;-) The 18yr's smell is already better than anything... only topped by it's taste!

save a dram for me
          Nick.

Comment

• darrenyeats
            • Mar 2007

I don't know much about whisky but luckily I was introduced to Lagavulin. Is the Bowmore along the same lines?
            Darren
            Check it, add to it! http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/

SB Touch

Comment

• opaqueice
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by darrenyeats
              I don't know much about whisky but luckily I was introduced to Lagavulin. Is the Bowmore along the same lines?
              Darren
              They're both from Islay, and as such they have some things in common (they're both pretty smoky, for example). To my taste, Lagavulin is more complex and interesting, but not as well-balanced as Bowmore. I always thought it (Lag) tasted salty, like sea water. Bowmore, particularly the 18 yr I just got, is sweeter and smoother.

My overall favorites remain Caol Ila and Talisker .

Comment

• tomjtx
                • Sep 2006

They're both from Islay, and as such they have some things in common (they're both pretty smoky, for example). To my taste, Lagavulin is more complex and interesting, but not as well-balanced as Bowmore. I always thought it (Lag) tasted salty, like sea water. Bowmore, particularly the 18 yr I just got, is sweeter and smoother.

My overall favorites remain Caol Ila and Talisker .

But did you compare these with a SmBT (single malt blind test)

Inquiring minds want to know :-)

Comment

• opaqueice
                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by tomjtx
                  But did you compare these with a SmBT (single malt blind test)
                  Actually yes :-).

A friend of mine once poured four glasses of scotch for me, chosen (by her) from my collection, which was ~15 different bottles or so at that time. She was pretty nice and chose relatively easily recognizable ones - it was Talisker, Lagavulin, Macallan, and Glenlivet if I remember correctly - but she didn't tell me anything about which four she had picked. I was able to identify all four successfully, except that she tried to convince me that I had switched the Macallan and Glenlivet (I hadn't, but after a few "are you SURE"s from her I think I gave in)... so it was pretty successful, but decidedly not double blind :-).

Comment

• Nonreality
                    • Feb 2008

Actually yes :-).

A friend of mine once poured four glasses of scotch for me, chosen (by her) from my collection, which was ~15 different bottles or so at that time. She was pretty nice and chose relatively easily recognizable ones - it was Talisker, Lagavulin, Macallan, and Glenlivet if I remember correctly - but she didn't tell me anything about which four she had picked. I was able to identify all four successfully, except that she tried to convince me that I had switched the Macallan and Glenlivet (I hadn't, but after a few "are you SURE"s from her I think I gave in)... so it was pretty successful, but decidedly not double blind :-).
                    But were you doubly blind afterwords? I think that would count also.
                    If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use is the rule.

HTTP://www.last.fm/user/nonreality

Comment

Working...