Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Airport Express as Client for Squeezecenter

    Hello,

    is that possible. Perhaps using a 3rd party plugin? The hardware should be able to do that and the software is open source. Anyone an idea? Together with an ipod touch it would be a great deal in an mixed squeeebox/itunes eviroment which I have.

    I know it is possible to play the stream (http://127.0.0.1:9000/stream.mp3). Thats not what I want. I want to see the AE as "real player" in squeezecenter.

    KR
    Last edited by RaK; 2008-08-03 at 12:52.

  2. #2
    Senior Member radish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Red Bank, NJ
    Posts
    5,052
    It would require hacking the AE, or writing a pretty sophisticated SC plugin (or more likely both). I don't know of anyone who's tried...

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,283

    Airport Express as Client for Squeezecenter

    radish wrote:
    > It would require hacking the AE, or writing a pretty sophisticated SC
    > plugin (or more likely both). I don't know of anyone who's tried...
    >


    There's source for a player available so it should be doable. Too bad my
    AE just died

    Regards,
    Peter


  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by RaK View Post
    Hello,

    is that possible. Perhaps using a 3rd party plugin? The hardware should be able to do that and the software is open source. Anyone an idea? Together with an ipod touch it would be a great deal in an mixed squeeebox/itunes eviroment which I have.

    KR
    Hmmm....spend time to add support for another manufacturers (cheaper) hardware? I'd love to see the feature as I myself have an unused AE lying around, but I'll be the first to admit that it doesn't make good business sense.

  5. #5
    Senior Member radish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Red Bank, NJ
    Posts
    5,052
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    radish wrote:
    > It would require hacking the AE, or writing a pretty sophisticated SC
    > plugin (or more likely both). I don't know of anyone who's tried...
    >


    There's source for a player available so it should be doable.
    I dunno...source is no good if you don't have the hardware to run it on. I'd be surprised if the AE had the CPU/memory to do something like that, but I could be wrong.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,283

    Airport Express as Client for Squeezecenter

    radish wrote:
    > peter;325751 Wrote:
    >
    >> radish wrote:
    >>
    >>> It would require hacking the AE, or writing a pretty sophisticated
    >>>

    >> SC
    >>
    >>> plugin (or more likely both). I don't know of anyone who's tried...
    >>>
    >>>

    >> There's source for a player available so it should be doable.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > I dunno...source is no good if you don't have the hardware to run it
    > on. I'd be surprised if the AE had the CPU/memory to do something like
    > that, but I could be wrong.
    >


    I think I was unclear. There's source code for a Linux software player
    that uses an Airport Express as a client. It should be possible to send
    music from SC to an AE that way. I wouldn't be interested though. I'd
    rather spend $100 on a Receiver.

    The AE player: http://raop-play.sourceforge.net/

    Regards,
    Peter





  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,283

    Airport Express as Client for Squeezecenter

    Peter wrote:
    > radish wrote:
    >> peter;325751 Wrote:
    >>
    >>> radish wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> It would require hacking the AE, or writing a pretty sophisticated
    >>>>
    >>> SC
    >>>
    >>>> plugin (or more likely both). I don't know of anyone who's tried...
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>> There's source for a player available so it should be doable.
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >> I dunno...source is no good if you don't have the hardware to run it
    >> on. I'd be surprised if the AE had the CPU/memory to do something like
    >> that, but I could be wrong.
    >>

    >
    > I think I was unclear. There's source code for a Linux software player
    > that uses an Airport Express as a client. It should be possible to
    > send music from SC to an AE that way. I wouldn't be interested though.
    > I'd rather spend $100 on a Receiver.
    >
    > The AE player: http://raop-play.sourceforge.net/


    I see it even supports playing an mp3 stream on an AE. That means you
    could point it to SC's stream.mp3 link and have more or less what the OP
    wanted.

    Regards,
    Peter




  8. #8
    Senior Member radish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Red Bank, NJ
    Posts
    5,052
    interesting, although from reading that page I'm not sure there's actually anything running on the AE, it looks more like someone reversed the streaming protocol and figured out how to make it play stuff with it's existing firmware. Still interesting though, you could probably install the alsa drivers from that site and then use softsqueeze to play through it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •