Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile My Portable Squeezebox SB3!

Hi all,

I have three SB3 players in the house, all hooked up to amps and speakers. I don't have any other music sources, and no CDs cluttering up the place. But as is always the case in life, things are never where you want them to be - and that includes music! I miss listening to music in the bath, in the garden, in the study - and I can't afford to place an SB3 in every room.

Enter...the portable SB3! I've long since wanted Slim (Logitech) to produce a portable SB3. After all, why have a wireless player that needs to be anchored to an amp and speakers? Why not have wireless that is truly portable.

A truly portable music system, based on an SB3 and a couple of AudioEngine A2 speakers.

Music everywhere, even in the garden :-)

Jim

truly portable.... except for power

I like it though. A very low tech way of modding your high tech player

Yeah, the power is the flaw in the master plan.....though I do have a mains socket in the garden :-)

Some MDF and a tin of black gloss, and all the cables are concealed. Low tech, but portable.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimwillsher View Post
    Hi all,

I have three SB3 players in the house, all hooked up to amps and speakers. I don't have any other music sources, and no CDs cluttering up the place. But as is always the case in life, things are never where you want them to be - and that includes music! I miss listening to music in the bath, in the garden, in the study - and I can't afford to place an SB3 in every room.

Enter...the portable SB3! I've long since wanted Slim (Logitech) to produce a portable SB3. After all, why have a wireless player that needs to be anchored to an amp and speakers? Why not have wireless that is truly portable.

A truly portable music system, based on an SB3 and a couple of AudioEngine A2 speakers.

Music everywhere, even in the garden :-)

Jim
    Jim,

Nice job! You are completely correct in that Logitech and Slim Devices are not doing enough to get the SqueezeBox available in other formats, such as within portable devices or built into a audio-video receiver. This is just one of the many areas where the iPod and all the related add on devices are truly kicking Logitech's butt.
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

Low tech yes, but also very efficient!

Nice work!

Bye, signorRossi.

BTW, how are the A2s held in place?

Nice Squeezebox Boom Beta

Quote Originally Posted by signor_rossi View Post
    BTW, how are the A2s held in place?
    There's a thin strip of wood around the sides and the back, and that's enough. If you tipped it to 45 degrees they would probably fall out - so I won't do that :-)

Jim

truly truly portable

hi, I'm new here.

This is my truly portable squeezbox based system. The only thing that is hooked up to the house is the router.

Greetz Bart

Quote Originally Posted by bartverwaaijen View Post
    hi, I'm new here.

This is my truly portable squeezbox based system. The only thing that is hooked up to the house is the router.

Greetz Bart
    Welcome Bart!

Interesting. Could you please explain the setup?

Shane
    Intel x64 box running Ubuntu server 14.04 ->Raspberry Pi with IQaudio Pi-DAC+ running PiCore ->NAD C320BEE->Usher S-520

Quote Originally Posted by swhite58 View Post
    Interesting. Could you please explain the setup?
    Haahaa, nice one Bart, love it!

I'm guessing here, but i think the Sany handheld is runing SqueezeCenter with his library on an external USB drive. The box behind that is providing power to the Reciever, speakers are also battery powered.

I'm not sure how practical that would be, but it is a very clever little setup there. I'm impressed