Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hourly Skip Limit on Last.fm?

Using 7.2 and the inbuilt Last.fm plugin (as a subscriber) and came across something I've not seen before . While listening to my recommendations, where I tend to skip tracks I don't like and listen to the ones I do (to help Last.fm get my tastes), I got a pop up on the Controller which said "you have exceeded your hourly skip limit".

Is this a new feature or just one I've not seen before? Couldn't find anything on the Last.fm forums either. Strikes me as a bit odd, as I always understood you should Ban songs you hate, Love songs you really like, Listen to those you like and Skip the ones you're not that bothered about.

Posting here because I've just tried the same using the Last.fm client and don't seem to have a problem skipping tracks at all...
    Who am I on LAST.FM?
    "Siduhe Loved Tracks radio got the thumbs up. Feedback included: yeah, it's good... got the odd dodgy track tho..." (c) ModelCitizen

The Pandora service on a Squeezebox has the same feature, although I have only ever hit the skip limit once.
    Yes, it will. Yes, all of them. Yes, SoftSqueeze as well. What ?
    I SAID ALL OF THEM !

last.fm hourly skip limit

Had the same thing happen to me a few minutes ago, got a message on my SB3. Maybe if you skip too many, it's no longer considered "radio" and becomes more like on on demand service...

I has seen this from day one (with the official plugin), i think this is something that has been there for a while. I think you get rid of it by subscribing (?).
    Cheers, auto.

Lounge: Squeezebox 3, Squeezebox Controller, Cambridge Audio 640A, Mission 701's Kitchen: Squeezebox Touch, Trends TA-10.1, Kef Cresta 1's. Bedroom: Squeezebox Boom Bathroom/Garden: Squeezebox Radio Car: iPod Classic 80GB Portable: iPhone 3GS 32Gb (+iPeng)

He is a subscriber:

Quote Originally Posted by Siduhe View Post
    Using 7.2 and the inbuilt Last.fm plugin (as a subscriber)
    Yes, it will. Yes, all of them. Yes, SoftSqueeze as well. What ?
    I SAID ALL OF THEM !

Thanks all - I wonder if the skip limit now applies to everyone, which would explain why I haven't seen it before (as a subscriber). Or maybe the plugin doesn't deliver the necessary info to Last.fm (though I can see my loved tracks radio, so it definitely knows I am a subscriber).
    Who am I on LAST.FM?
    "Siduhe Loved Tracks radio got the thumbs up. Feedback included: yeah, it's good... got the odd dodgy track tho..." (c) ModelCitizen

Could it be a Last.fm backend software bug? They might not be reading your subscription status consistantly.

I guess contacting them for clarification might be a good idea.

Last.fm does have a skip limit, just like Pandora.

Thanks Andy, do you know what it is? The only reason I ask is that I seem to be able to skip at will using the Last.fm client, certainly far more tracks than I can skip using the official Last.fm plugin. Would be interesting to compare.
    Who am I on LAST.FM?

The limit is specified as part of their API response, but it's currently 6 I believe. I don't know why their official client doesn't use it. I'll ask if we could ignore it too.