Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 15 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Still looks like a permissions issue.

After changing the various settings, did you logout and login againa and restart pulse.

Did you check what permission/ownership is missing that prevents access to "'/home/user/.pulse//daemon.conf'". I suspect if you find out the problem with accessing this file, the rest may work.
    In terms of groups I have this configuration:

myuser@myserver:~$ less /etc/group | grep squeezeboxserver
    audio:x:29ulse,myuser,squeezeboxserver
    pulse:x:116:squeezeboxserver
    pulse-access:x:117:squeezeboxserver

I tried to create a home directory for the squeezebox user but with no results, so I made the "myuser" .pulse directory readable and writable, ad I copied the daemon.conf file from /etc/pulse with the right permissions, now I get:

myuser@myserver:~$ sudo -u squeezeboxserver arecord -D pulse -f cd test.wav
    Home directory /home/myuser not ours.
    ALSA lib pcm.c:2211snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM pulse
    arecord: main:608: audio open error: No such file or directory

using su or sudo is not the same as a login and you are probably missing the setting of some env variables set by the various login scripts.

On some system groups are not just setup in the groups files - sometimes you need to use the "User and Group" admin facilty.

All user creation etc. should be done through the system "User and groups" utility.

using su or sudo is not the same as a login and you are probably missing the setting of some env variables set by the various login scripts.

On some system groups are not just setup in the groups files - sometimes you need to use the "User and Group" admin facilty.

All user creation etc. should be done through the system "User and groups" utility.
    using "user and group" with gksudo I see just my user and root, but not the "squeezeboxserver" user: do I need to create the user? even if a squeezeboxserver user already exists?

I've tried also to modify /etc/default/pulseaudio with:

PULSEAUDIO_SYSTEM_START=1
    DISALLOW_MODULE_LOADING=0

doing that even my user is not able to use arecord from the console...

thank you so much for your help!

LMS creates the squeezeboxuser as just a userid to run the LMS. It is a bare minimum user with no login shell defined or home directory. These are the items that are created with "users & Groups". Since your "User & Groups " does not see the squeezeboxserver user that seems to be in /etc/users - then something is wrong in your system either "User & Groups", how you start "User & Groups (it would be normally from a GUI menu not gksudo for same reasons as before about login scripts) or how the files /etc/users etc. are being used.

What distro are you using ?
    How familiar are you with Linux ?
    Do you really need pulse audio or would alsa do ?

LMS creates the squeezeboxuser as just a userid to run the LMS. It is a bare minimum user with no login shell defined or home directory. These are the items that are created with "users & Groups". Since your "User & Groups " does not see the squeezeboxserver user that seems to be in /etc/users - then something is wrong in your system either "User & Groups", how you start "User & Groups (it would be normally from a GUI menu not gksudo for same reasons as before about login scripts) or how the files /etc/users etc. are being used.
    I've tried gksudo from the menu changing the item properties.
    I've done that after seeing that there was no squeezeboxserver user.
    Never modified anything about squeezeboxserver user before.

What distro are you using ?
    Ubuntu 10.04

How familiar are you with Linux ?
    using linux since '95, but I'm not an admin, just a user with googling capabilities

Do you really need pulse audio or would alsa do ?
    I was just curios with pulse audio, but alsa it's ok for me...

I felt it was time to review the situation as it is a number of years since I played around with pulse. I found it wasn't worth using for my purposes and while it provides many nice features, for some situations it complicated issues. My memory of pulse is a bit vague now so I may be wrong in what I am saying below.

I think there are two issues - pulse permission/access and LMS as a daemon/service.

Assuming you are running LMS as a daemon/service (i.e. not from a shell prompt) on a Pulse audio system and trying to use the WaveInput plugin. Then I think the plugin will alaway fail as I think daemon/service have no audio subsystem configured.

Even if audio subsystem was configured, it may be difficult to configure the plugin to use the desktop audio since all audio will have "virtualised" by Pulse audio and I think (and I am not sure)you will need to configure pulse audio to enable the LMS daemon to have access to the desktop audio streams.

So I think you have two choices.

1. run LMS from a shell prompt as a child process in your login so that the application whose audio you want to copy will be in the same process tree.

or

2. Remove Pulse and use ALSA instead. I think ALSA allow access to audio from a daemon without complications - however I haven't tested it.

I have an ancient laptop now running a debian flavour. In my list of mixers I have an Intel 82801DB-ICH4 Alsa Mixer, an analogue OSS one, and a Pulse audio one, plus others.

The only reason for having installed LMS on my laptop is to (try to) use wavein to drive my Touch (for some websites that will only provide sound via a browser).

I have used wavein successfully on a PC running Windows.

I installed LMS and waveinput, configured as 'wavin:0', or 'wavin:' or 'wavin:default'. However, none of those work. It stops after a few seconds, as it did for thingswelostinthefire.

I have very limited knowledge of linux despite having been in the computer business for over 35 years (much of it on obscure kit in assembler). So I can find and modify stuff when told how. For instance, I can see information in/proc/asounds, showing:

1: : sequencer
    2: [ 1- 0]: digital audio playback
    3: [ 1- 0]: digital audio capture
    4: [ 1] : control
    5: [ 0- 4]: digital audio playback
    6: [ 0- 3]: digital audio capture
    7: [ 0- 2]: digital audio capture
    8: [ 0- 1]: digital audio capture
    9: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
    10: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
    11: [ 0] : control
    33:

But I don't know what to do with the information.

/etc/asound.conf contains:

pcm.pulse {
    type pulse
    }
    ctl.pulse {
    type pulse
    }
    pcm.!default {
    type pulse
    }
    ctl.!default {
    type pulse
    }

Again, I don't know what this means or whether it helps in setting things up.

If I have to run lms as a user rather than a service, because of a permissions issue, how would I do that?
    LMS 8.1 on PC, Xubuntu 20.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. 2 Touches & EDO.
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Also Minimserver & Upplay to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.
    Squeezelite to Meridian USB Explorer DAC to PC speakers/headphones.
    Wireless Xubuntu 20.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android mobile with Squeeze-Ctrl/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

Quote Originally Posted by PasTim View Post
    The only reason for having installed LMS on my laptop is to (try to) use wavein to drive my Touch (for some websites that will only provide sound via a browser).
    This sounds like a "sledgehammer to crack a nut" solution.

Why not use somehting like VLC to create a HTTP/MP3 stream using the PC audio from the laptop and let your player just like an radio stream ?

Although a few years I got WaveInput working with Pulseaudio, it required a lot of work. If you are not using the VLC alternative - have you considered not using Pulseaudio andsusing ALSA instead ? Especially considering it used to have issues with some application such as Firefox. Why do you need Pulseaudio ?

This sounds like a "sledgehammer to crack a nut" solution.

Why not use somehting like VLC to create a HTTP/MP3 stream using the PC audio from the laptop and let your player just like an radio stream ?

Although a few years I got WaveInput working with Pulseaudio, it required a lot of work. If you are not using the VLC alternative - have you considered not using Pulseaudio andsusing ALSA instead ? Especially considering it used to have issues with some application such as Firefox. Why do you need Pulseaudio ?
    I haven't a clue what you mean about VLC. I'll try to research it, but having used waveinput before on Windows I thought it would be the best and easiest way.

I have pulse audio installed.... because it's there. It was part of the installation I guess. I also have mixers with 'alsa' against them. I really have very little clue what all this is about. I thought it would just work (like it did on Windows once I sussed the ability to listen to 'what-u-hear').

How would I get it to work with ALSA?
    LMS 8.1 on PC, Xubuntu 20.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. 2 Touches & EDO.
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Also Minimserver & Upplay to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.
    Squeezelite to Meridian USB Explorer DAC to PC speakers/headphones.
    Wireless Xubuntu 20.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android mobile with Squeeze-Ctrl/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

Quote Originally Posted by PasTim View Post
    I have pulse audio installed.... because it's there. It was part of the installation I guess. I also have mixers with 'alsa' against them. I really have very little clue what all this is about. I thought it would just work (like it did on Windows once I sussed the ability to listen to 'what-u-hear').

How would I get it to work with ALSA?
    Basically Pulse audio virtualises audio and so you have an ALSA emulation to route audio through Pulse to the hardware.

What you are trying to do with a LMS daemon to grab audio output from a process belonging to a different user and then reroute - needs special Pulseaudio setup - which you seem to have no idea about.

So I suggest remove Pulse audio and configure real ALSA to handle audio. Then WaveInput should work as described in first post.
    Last edited by bpa; 2012-02-11 at 17:58.