Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 192 of 199 FirstFirst ... 92142182190191192193194 ... LastLast
Results 1,911 to 1,920 of 1988
    Quote Originally Posted by PasTim View Post
    I tried this. I set the genre to just classical. All my classical music has 2 genres, one classical, and one the genre within that.

It doesn't return anything when I select library views. I'm probably being very dim, but I'm baffled.

Still, assuming I got this to work at LMS menu level, what fields do I look for in the database to run my custombrowse menus? I have 22 Classical music menus, and several non-classical, all dependent on the library. I'm willing to do the work, but how?
    If you need help understanding how to define and use virtual libraries I suggest you create a separate thread for this, the people that can help you might not read my plugin thread. I canít help much myself since I havenít actually been using the functionality myself.

Some people use Custom Browse to browse custom tags scanned with Custom Scan and for these the built-in virtual library functionality wouldnít be enough without some coding since advance search functionality canít be used to define the library. The following thread indicated that there might be some work going on to handle custom tag scanning and browsing: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...mes-and-styles

Letting Michael and other community developers know whatís missing in the virtual library functionality (in a separate thread) is a good idea. Even better if people could let them know how it can be improved to cover the functionality needed to be able to replace Multi Library and Custom Browse plugins. The disadvantage of Multi Library and Custom Browse plugins has been that due to their flexibility some users have been able to customize the browsing to their needs instead of requesting feature improvements to the standard browse menus in LMS. Some of the functionality provided by Custom Browse and Multi Library today would also be a lot easier to implement in latest LMS release due to the changes introduced together with virtual libraries under the hood. Knowing Michaelís time is limited I suspect functionality missing that isnít easy to add to the core would have to be handled in third party plugins also in the future, but a new small actively maintained plugin providing a specific feature would be better than a gigantic unsupported plugin trying to do it all.

Custom Browse plugin would be able to use built-in virtual libraries in theory but you would have to define the SQL/XML for each menu level yourself so I doubt it would be worth the effort considering the Custom Browse plugin also is going to break soon or later. If you still want to try the SQL/XML route the database tables for virtual libraries was defined in database schema version 19 and 20:
    - https://github.com/Logitech/slimserv...hema_19_up.sql
    - https://github.com/Logitech/slimserv...hema_20_up.sql
    You would have to join with these tables instead of the multilibrary_ tables.
    However, as mentioned, itís going to be a lot of work if you want to create a full menu structure.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Developer of many plugins/applets
    Starting with LMS 8.0 I no longer support my plugins/applets (see here for more information )

Quote Originally Posted by erland View Post
    I suspect Michael just missed to add Multi Library to the unsupported repository, I havenít seen anyone saying that it doesnít work. Creating a pull request or letting Michael(mherger) know some other way that it works should take care of it. He might spot this message if we are lucky.
    Michael have now added the Multi Library plugin to the unsupported repository so it can be installed if you use 8.1 and activate unsupported extensions in LMS Settings/Plugins. His responses to this thread keeps ending up in an old thread due to some bug in the forum mail gateway so I thought Iíd mention it here also. However, as I previously said, Iíd recommend everyone using Multi Library to try if the built-in virtual library functionality fulfill your needs.
    Starting with LMS 8.0 I no longer support my plugins/applets (see here for more information )

Quote Originally Posted by jeroen2 View Post
    Thanks, that does seem to work under classic UI as well, but the library views are not showing in Material. Plus I don't seem to be able to do a search for multiple genres, so that's not helping either...

Maybe I would need to use custom tags instead... Or tag my files with multiple genres and then use Custom Browse to create the top level menu..?
    Library views do show in Material skin.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

It does work (even in LMS 7) but selecting this in Material is not very user friendly. I'll play around with it a bit more tomorrow..
    How is it not user friendly? Navigate into 'My Music' and there is a button allowing you to select the library to use. This sets the library that the current instance of Material will use, it does not set it on the player. So, whilst browsing with Material you can change player and the library will not change. If you need to change it on the player, so that it is active for things such as 'Random Mix' then you can set the player's library in the player settings dialog.
    Material debug: 1. Launch via http: //SERVER:9000/material/?debug=json (Use http: //SERVER:9000/material/?debug=json,cometd to also see update messages, e.g. play queue) 2. Open browser's developer tools 3. Open console tab in developer tools 4. REQ/RESP messages sent to/from LMS will be logged here.

Quote Originally Posted by cpd73 View Post
    How is it not user friendly? Navigate into 'My Music' and there is a button allowing you to select the library to use. This sets the library that the current instance of Material will use, it does not set it on the player.
    Yes, I got that. Thanks. Maybe my use case is very specific. They way I have been using Multi Library in combination with Custom Browse, I now have 5 top level genres pinned to the homescreen (the top levels genres are ste in Multi Library as a collection of 5 or 10 related genres, like Classical Piano, Classical Bach, etc...) When I go to that top level genre I can either go directly to all albums, or browse sub genres first (using 'shallowgenre" from Custom Browse).

I would be happy to use any other tools available to achieve something similar, but my main objective is to always reduce the number of choices to something digestible. So I don't want more than about 50 albums per genre, and I don't want to scroll through a super long list of genres either.

Yes, I got that. Thanks. Maybe my use case is very specific. They way I have been using Multi Library in combination with Custom Browse, I now have 5 top level genres pinned to the homescreen (the top levels genres are ste in Multi Library as a collection of 5 or 10 related genres, like Classical Piano, Classical Bach, etc...) When I go to that top level genre I can either go directly to all albums, or browse sub genres first (using 'shallowgenre" from Custom Browse).

I would be happy to use any other tools available to achieve something similar, but my main objective is to always reduce the number of choices to something digestible. So I don't want more than about 50 albums per genre, and I don't want to scroll through a super long list of genres either.
    Wouldnít it work similar if you created one virtual library for each one of the few top level menus ?
    Or do you get a lot of extra navigation steps with the virtual library functionality?

As previously mentioned, I havenít used the virtual library functionality myself, so forgive me if Iím missing something obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by erland View Post
    Wouldnít it work similar if you created one virtual library for each one of the few top level menus ?
    Or do you get a lot of extra navigation steps with the virtual library functionality?
    Yes, it seems that the extra step would be to go to "my music" first and then select the library through the button top right. With Multi Library and Custom Browse it creates menu items that you can pin to the homescreen directly.

Yes, it seems that the extra step would be to go to "my music" first and then select the library through the button top right. With Multi Library and Custom Browse it creates menu items that you can pin to the homescreen directly.
    I did consider, and implemented, adding the library to the pinned items - but backed out of the change. When pinning a 'My Music' item with a library selected I guess I could prompt as to whether to save the library ID as well.
    Material debug: 1. Launch via http: //SERVER:9000/material/?debug=json (Use http: //SERVER:9000/material/?debug=json,cometd to also see update messages, e.g. play queue) 2. Open browser's developer tools 3. Open console tab in developer tools 4. REQ/RESP messages sent to/from LMS will be logged here.

I did consider, and implemented, adding the library to the pinned items - but backed out of the change. When pinning a 'My Music' item with a library selected I guess I could prompt as to whether to save the library ID as well.
    Did you have to do anything specific in Material skin to make it work for Custom Browse/Multi Library based menus ?

If you didnít it feels like it would be preferred if it was an option when saving a library in LMS to specify if it should be shown on top level, that way it would work with most user interfaces/apps and not just with Material skin. Not sure if Michael have the time to look into it right now but it feels like a good general feature to improve the virtual library functionality. Would probably be possible to implement in a plugin also if someone would be willing to implement one.

I did consider, and implemented, adding the library to the pinned items - but backed out of the change.
    That seems useful, but then when you select a library on the homescreen what screen would follow? A revised homescreen? Or "my music" for that library?

When pinning a 'My Music' item with a library selected I guess I could prompt as to whether to save the library ID as well.
    Would that selection then remain throughout the whole session/interface?

In that case it would work like this right?
    1/ Create a Library for topgenre, selecting a number of subgenres.
    2/ Click "pin to homescreen" on genres, with the option to save library ID above.
    3/ Rename "genres" on homescreen to name of topgenre.
    4/ Repeat for all topgenres.

(I think this might run into trouble though when you get to step 4, because genre (linked with the other library ID) is already pinned, so it would only show the option to remove, not?)