Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    An experience this week got me thinking about this thread again. After adding some new CDs to my collection I noticed that SC 7.4 reported 4876 tracks in my library, but MusicIP reported 4891. After checking with various OS tools (ls -l in Ubuntu, dir in DOS, Windows Explorer in XP, etc.) I confirmed that I have 4891 FLAC and MP3 files, but somehow SC wasn't "seeing" 15 of them. I turned up the debugging on the scanner to "Warn" and re-scanned, but no clues in scanner.log. (In retrospect I should have turned it up to Debug.)

I then compared the track listing in the MusicIP cache with the tracks table in the SC database, which turned out to be pretty easy even without knowing any SQL. I just exported them into something Excel can read, sorted on /path/filename, put them side-by-side and created a flag variable in another column to show where they didn't match. This revealed the 15 files, which turned out to be owned by my username (which is normal) and be mode 600 (which is not normal). SC couldn't read the files because SC runs under user squeezecenter, but MusicIP saw them because it runs under my username. A simple user error, although I'm a bit puzzled about exactly how it happened. Anyway I fixed the permissions (644) and now all is good.

Now, maybe some kind of double-checking count-the-files-and-compare-to-the-metadata enhancement as suggested in this thread would have caught this. But consider if I had made the mistake one level higher, and made the *directory* unreadable by SC. Then it would have no way of knowing there are audio files to be scanned, and the double-checking wouldn't reveal the problem. So the scanning process would be made more complex (at some cost to develop and maintain), with only limited payback.

Which more or less takes me back to what I said in post #9 of this thread: SC shouldn't be expected to do one's basic file housekeeping. Moreover, in some not-very-exceptional cases there is no way possible for it to do that housekeeping, or even verify file totals.
    Last edited by aubuti; 2009-05-21 at 11:10.

MrSinatra
    Quote Originally Posted by aubuti View Post
    An experience this week got me thinking about this thread again. After adding some new CDs to my collection I noticed that SC 7.4 reported 4876 tracks in my library, but MusicIP reported 4891. After checking with various OS tools (ls -l in Ubuntu, dir in DOS, Windows Explorer in XP, etc.) I confirmed that I have 4891 FLAC and MP3 files, but somehow SC wasn't "seeing" 15 of them. I turned up the debugging on the scanner to "Warn" and re-scanned, but no clues in scanner.log. (In retrospect I should have turned it up to Debug.)

I then compared the track listing in the MusicIP cache with the tracks table in the SC database, which turned out to be pretty easy even without knowing any SQL. I just exported them into something Excel can read, sorted on /path/filename, put them side-by-side and created a flag variable in another column to show where they didn't match. This revealed the 15 files, which turned out to be owned by username (which is normal) and be mode 600 (which is not normal). SC couldn't read the files because SC runs under user squeezecenter, but MusicIP saw them because it runs under my username. A simple user error, although I'm a bit puzzled about exactly how it happened. Anyway I fixed the permissions (644) and now all is good.
    are you in linux? seems to me you fell victim to EXACTLY what i was describing, just the 'how' was different.

Now, maybe some kind of double-checking count-the-files-and-compare-to-the-metadata enhancement as suggested in this thread would have caught this.
    exactly.

But consider if I had made the mistake one level higher, and made the *directory* unreadable by SC. Then it would have no way of knowing there are audio files to be scanned, and the double-checking wouldn't reveal the problem. So the scanning process would be made more complex (at some cost to develop and maintain), with only limited payback.
    this problem, afaik, doesn't exist in windows. and moreover, could SC not call on the OS itself to get the filecount? maybe, maybe not i don't know, but even if SC can only run the check on what it "sees" (which i believe should be everything in windows anyway) thats still worthy.

...as would a user friendly gui report showing what files failed to make the ML but were scanned, which i think was closer to my issue.

Which more or less takes me back to what I said in post #9 of this thread: SC shouldn't be expected to do one's basic file housekeeping. Moreover, in some not-very-exceptional cases there is no way possible for it to do that housekeeping, or even verify file totals.
    lets not conflate issues... "basic filekeeping" was not my issue, nor was my issue something "undetectable."

moreover, SC should do what it can do, and it could start with whats easy to do and work from there. it certainly would have been useful to you... consider if you had never noticed the descrepency, or didn't run MusicIP?

The 'dir' (or 'ls') command is cumbersome? Sorry, I don't see a compelling, or even interesting, case for the enhancement. But it did get me interested enough to check the totals (took all of about two dozen keystrokes), and now I'll sleep well tonight. But maybe others will see the same need you do. Good night and good luck.
    The Windows dir command is of limited use because it's only Windows and unless you happen to know the extension of every single audio format you have. I have 300.000 tracks.

However; I noticed to my positive surprise that LMS without complaining played one of my .ape files the other day! (yes, .ape is an audio file format).

I think it's def worthy for LMS to give and keep accurate stats.

How many tracks? Albums? Album artists? Mp3s? M4as? Flacs? Etc...

How many albums are comps? How many tracks are from comps?

And do the stats LMS displays match the number of audio files scanned?

Seems like a basic and relatively simple thing for a database to do, no?
    Using: Win7 64 + LMS 7.9 & Duet & ipads w/the logitech app, and ipeng on an ipod
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Artists_logic & http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Compilations