Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best practices: SqueezeCenter (flac) to iPod

Hello

I'm just curious if there is a more comfortable way to get the music from SC to the iPod. I have about 60k flac song's on my SC. So I just want to add some CD's from this collection to my iPod. Currently the way I do is, I log on to the shared drive, where the music resides. Copy all tracks I want to add to my local drive. Use frontAh to convert the music to mp3. Add the music to mp3 and sync it to my ipod.

I'm asking myself is there not a nicer way to do this. What I'm imagining is on the webinterface choosing download as mp3-zip or whatever, then just click the file and all flac's from the cd or playlist are transcoded on the server and downloaded as zip-file. so at least the music has only to be added to itunes and especially the complete family can have access to the webinterface for downloading music (don't like to give to many permissions to the shared drive, as the collection is a many-weeks work ;-)

thanks for any hint's, ideas, etc
    klaus

If you don't mind paying for a program, Mediamonkey can move and convert music on the fly to an Ipod. It can also do a version of mp3gain and volume equalize the tracks on the fly. It's a great program for organizing a library and working with portable players. I have multiple players (Rockboxed Sansa E270, Rockboxed Nano, Ipod 2g Nano and an 80gB Classic) so it's nice for keeping them happy.
    If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use is the rule.

HTTP://www.last.fm/user/nonreality

egd
    Quote Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
    I'm just curious if there is a more comfortable way to get the music from SC to the iPod. I have about 60k flac song's on my SC. So I just want to add some CD's from this collection to my iPod. Currently the way I do is, I log on to the shared drive, where the music resides. Copy all tracks I want to add to my local drive. Use frontAh to convert the music to mp3. Add the music to mp3 and sync it to my ipod.
    Have a look at flac2mp3 written by Robin Bowes http://projects.robinbowes.com/flac2mp3/trac. It is a script that automates the mp3 creation process as well as FLAC/ MP3 library and tag synchronisation without having to copy your FLAC files anywhere.

I would have to concur with Nonreality, as a user of MediaMonkey with multiple ipods I setup a playlist for each ipod and then just tell MediaMonkey to sync to the relevant playlist when the ipod is connected.
    Alasdair

SBR -> Linn Majik -> Acoustic Energy Extreme 5 (garden) | SBR -> Cambridge Audio 640R -> Morduant Short (TV room) | SB3 -> AudioEngine 2 (bedroom-2) | SB3 -> AudioEngine 2 (kitchen) | SBR -> Musical Fidelity A1008 -> JR149 (office)| Squeezebox Radio (bedroom) | SB3 -> AudioEngine 2 (Bedroom -3) | Boom (bedroom-4) | Two Controllers

Last Fm http://www.last.fm/user/MuckleEck/

Converting the flacs is the easy part, getting them on the Ipod without Itunes is the hard part as it is a proprietary system. Apple doesn't want to make it easy to use anything but Itunes. Thats one of the main reasons for Rockbox but it only works on selected Ipods. It's really nice not having to start Itunes and just being able to drag and drop from explorer. (or in my case Directory Opus) But for people that want to just have a Flac library, the advantage of Mediamonkey is that it can convert to mp3 during the transfer so you don't have to have mp3's laying around your drive if you don't use them for anything else. I keep 2 library's as I have too many legacy mp3's and many devices that use them, so it makes more sense to have both.

Just another SB Fan
    Hello

I'm asking myself is there not a nicer way to do this. What I'm imagining is on the webinterface choosing download as mp3-zip or whatever, then just click the file and all flac's from the cd or playlist are transcoded on the server and downloaded as zip-file. so at least the music has only to be added to itunes and especially the complete family can have access to the webinterface for downloading music (don't like to give to many permissions to the shared drive, as the collection is a many-weeks work ;-)

klaus
    If you're running Windows, you might try Anapod Explorer from Red Chair Software (www.redchairsoftware.com). Just select the files, right-click and transfer to the iPod. It transcodes the files on the fly.

-=> Jim
    "well, she wasn't all of that, but she sure was some of that." -- BKlaas' college buddy

thanks for your ideas, I have used anapod, but once it just killed my ipod, so had to reinstall the os ;-) rockbox i tested and works great, but can't put rockbox on my new iphone ;-( .. so will give a look at mediamonkey, sounds quite cool.

but then remains the question, how do you download and album from your SC if you don't have direct access to the files?

thanks for your ideas, I have used anapod, but once it just killed my ipod, so had to reinstall the os ;-) rockbox i tested and works great, but can't put rockbox on my new iphone ;-( .. so will give a look at mediamonkey, sounds quite cool.

but then remains the question, how do you download and album from your SC if you don't have direct access to the files?
    I've read nothing but bad about Anapod. Mainly about the company not fixing things and not responding to problems. Ilounge has all kinds of bad posts there so I stayed away from it. I think it does work well but it's kinda spooky when it goes bad.

I recently conquered this obstacle myself. I guess I don't know what you mean by "not having direct access to the files"?

I have my entire collection as FLAC files. I use dbpoweramp batch converter (free). With this program, you browse for the FLAC files (you'll need plugins for FLAC/AAC) and select a destination folder for the re-coded audio. I have it create artist/album folder while it's at it, and send it into my iTunes Music Library folder as the destination for converted m4a files.

Once it's done converting, I go to the iTunes Music folder, and drag/drop the newly-created folder into my open iTunes. Viola, it's now in the iTunes Library file as well. Now I can transfer to iPod or whatever.

Now that I've gotten the hang of it, I find it simple and easy to get my FLACs into a compressed iPod-friendly format. However, the FLAC->AAC conversion can be time-consuming if your PC is older.

Hello

klaus
    This is one of the reasons why I use wav format for my digital music library. Wav is uncompressed (same quality as lossless) and is supported by many devices. And storage cost is no longer an issue today.
    I have iTunes organizing my library, and I simply use wav files on my iPod (video 30G) as well.