Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    About the beta testers i mention above, is known that allot of companies release products that are not stable as they should be..

I am not new on computing, i have many pcs and servers for my work..
    And when i am buying something for my entertainment i would like this kind of products to be plug and play.
    After more than three days reading , i cant still decide what is the best way to store my media, nas, dedicated pc, etc..
    All have some kind of issues... (at least this is what people are writing)

I am not here to insult any one...

Quote Originally Posted by raffo333 View Post
    The release i am using is the last one and not any beta..
    The os is Vista ultimate 64 bit.
    My connection to the network is through an Ethernet 3com switch,
    The wireless modem and router is from the Internet provider..
    Right now the squeezebox has the led light blue...
    Have you tried running with the firewall off and also the anti-virus protection suspended? Also, did you configure the firewall with the port and program exceptions? I know you said it worked sometimes but according to the manual, the solid blue means waiting to connect to the music source:

Connected to the network and waiting to connect
    to a music source (such as SqueezeNetwork or
    SqueezeCenter).
    If you are attempting to connect to SqueezeCenter
    and the light remains blue, the most likely cause
    is a firewall running on the computer on which
    SqueezeCenter is installed. See Appendix A:
    Configuring Your Firewall. If you are attempting
    to connect to SqueezeNetwork and the button

About the beta testers i mention above, is known that allot of companies release products that are not stable as they should be..

I am not new on computing, i have many pcs and servers for my work..
    And when i am buying something for my entertainment i would like this kind of products to be plug and play.
    After more than three days reading , i cant still decide what is the best way to store my media, nas, dedicated pc, etc..
    All have some kind of issues... (at least this is what people are writing)

I am not here to insult any one...
    Those questions are really no different than you would find with any media product. Unless you go with something that forces you to use a proprietary system. What is nice here is you can use what you want to use. If you like MP3's go with that. If you don't want to spend money on a NAS then don't just use the machine you have. I do that and it works great. I like to use flac and mp3 so I have a lossy and lossless folder for each. I store my music by Artist/Album/track# - title This works good for most programs. Remember you really only hear about problems. It's the nature of people. I've been in retail for over 30 years and it hasn't changed, you don't hear the good stuff much just the problems. Get it all running with some of the tips you've gotten and use what you have to store for now. I think using whatever computer you use now is the easiest way to start. That way you aren't introducing more factors that can be problems. I run an SB3 which from what I've read pretty foolproof. The only problems I've had have been from fooling around too much. I've run beta's from the very first and have been fine but that's probably not the smartest way. You probably should be running 7.01 as that's the stable release. Once you get it going you will wonder how you've gotten by without one. It's worth the effort.
    If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use is the rule.

HTTP://www.last.fm/user/nonreality

ive turned off the firewall but the problem persists..

this is some error reports :

[08-06-27 20:10:21.1664] Slim::Web::JSONRPC::requestMethod (383) request not dispatchable!
    [08-06-27 20:10:21.1885] Slim::Web::JSONRPC::requestMethod (383) request not dispatchable!
    [08-06-27 20:11:02.9262] Slim::Utils::MySQLHelper::startServer (272) Warning: Couldn't install MySQL as a service! Will run as a process!
    [08-06-27 21:46:44.0202] Slim::Networking::Async::_connect_error (157) Failed to connect: Unknown error
    [08-06-27 21:46:44.0211] Slim::Networking::Async::_async_error (256) Error: [Connect timed out]
    [08-06-27 21:46:44.0214] Slim::Networking::Async::HTTP::_http_error (264) Error: [Connect timed out]
    [08-06-27 21:46:44.0220] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::Players::_player s_error (133) Unable to get players from SN: Connect timed out, retrying in 300 seconds
    [08-06-27 22:32:03.0177] Slim::Networking::Async::_connect_error (157) Failed to connect: Unknown error
    [08-06-27 22:32:03.0184] Slim::Networking::Async::_async_error (256) Error: [Connect timed out]
    [08-06-27 22:32:03.0186] Slim::Networking::Async::HTTP::_http_error (264) Error: [Connect timed out]
    [08-06-27 22:32:03.0191] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::Players::_player s_error (133) Unable to get players from SN: Connect timed out, retrying in 300 seconds
    [08-06-28 00:07:29.0289] Slim::Networking::Async::_connect_error (157) Failed to connect: Unknown error
    [08-06-28 00:07:29.0299] Slim::Networking::Async::_async_error (256) Error: [Connect timed out]
    [08-06-28 00:07:29.0302] Slim::Networking::Async::HTTP::_http_error (264) Error: [Connect timed out]
    [08-06-28 00:07:29.0307] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::Players::_player s_error (133) Unable to get players from SN: Connect timed out, retrying in 300 seconds
    [08-06-28 01:13:12.0201] Slim::Networking::Async::_connect_error (157) Failed to connect: Unknown error
    [08-06-28 01:13:12.0208] Slim::Networking::Async::_async_error (256) Error: [Connect timed out]
    [08-06-28 01:13:12.0211] Slim::Networking::Async::HTTP::_http_error (264) Error: [Connect timed out]
    [08-06-28 01:13:12.0217] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::Players::_player s_error (133) Unable to get players from SN: Connect timed out, retrying in 300 seconds
    [08-06-28 01:18:26.8373] Slim::Networking::Async::_connect_error (157) Failed to connect: Unknown error
    [08-06-28 01:18:26.8380] Slim::Networking::Async::_async_error (256) Error: [Connect timed out]
    [08-06-28 01:18:26.8383] Slim::Networking::Async::HTTP::_http_error (264) Error: [Connect timed out]
    [08-06-28 01:18:26.8387] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::Players::_player s_error (133) Unable to get players from SN: Connect timed out, retrying in 600 seconds
    [08-06-28 02:28:52.0267] Slim::Networking::Async::_connect_error (157) Failed to connect: Unknown error
    [08-06-28 02:28:52.0275] Slim::Networking::Async::_async_error (256) Error: [Connect timed out]
    [08-06-28 02:28:52.0277] Slim::Networking::Async::HTTP::_http_error (264) Error: [Connect timed out]
    [08-06-28 02:28:52.0282] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::Players::_player s_error (133) Unable to get players from SN: Connect timed out, retrying in 300 seconds
    [08-06-28 03:59:36.0256] Slim::Networking::Async::_connect_error (157) Failed to connect: Unknown error
    [08-06-28 03:59:36.0264] Slim::Networking::Async::_async_error (256) Error: [Connect timed out]
    [08-06-28 03:59:36.0267] Slim::Networking::Async::HTTP::_http_error (264) Error: [Connect timed out]
    [08-06-28 03:59:36.0272] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::Players::_player s_error (133) Unable to get players from SN: Connect timed out, retrying in 300 seconds

ive turned off the firewall but the problem persists..

this is some error reports :

[08-06-27 20:10:21.1664] Slim::Web::JSONRPC::requestMethod (383) request not dispatchable!
    [08-06-27 20:10:21.1885] Slim::Web::JSONRPC::requestMethod (383) request not dispatchable!
    [08-06-27 20:11:02.9262] Slim::Utils::MySQLHelper::startServer (272) Warning: Couldn't install MySQL as a service! Will run as a process!
    [08-06-27 21:46:44.0202] Slim::Networking::Async::_connect_error (157) Failed to connect: Unknown error
    [08-06-27 21:46:44.0211] Slim::Networking::Async::_async_error (256) Error: [Connect timed out]
    [08-06-27 21:46:44.0214] Slim::Networking::Async::HTTP::_http_error (264) Error: [Connect timed out]
    [08-06-27 21:46:44.0220]
    wow. that's ugly. so it isn't the firewall...did you suspend anti virus? sometimes that gets in the way of connections.

is this from a squeeze center log file? one thing that has worked for me is to try to operate the receiver via squeeze center, rather than the remote. you may have to select your player from the pulldown in the upper right if it was last connected to SN when you turned it off the last time everything was working.

There are a few references to 'SN' in your log file which I take to mean Squeeze Network.

If none of that works I think you should email support and attach a copy of the log. I think the on-line form is broken.

good luck.

p.s. - now that I think about it, I added an exception for the squeeze center server.exe to my anti-virus as well as my firewall. you might want to try that as well.
    Last edited by raaurora; 2008-06-27 at 18:38.

Hello, Raffo333-

I should start by mentioning that I love my Squeezebox/Duet & it's stable (now). I did have trouble at the beginning- but I was listening to music within hours of opening the box, though it wasn't till the next morning that the controller was working perfectly. Other problems I made for myself by pushing the device limits, so that's different.

As to your immediate issue: the blue light means the receiver can't find the server (your computer). I have found that, when this sort of trouble erupts (I have brought it on myself often by doing everything the hard way- linux, installing MusicIP headless, etc etc), sometimes unplugging the receiver for 30 seconds (from both power & ethernet) and then plugging it back in can make things work. Simple, & worth a try. When I do this, I usually restart the server too just to make sure everything's fresh when I plug the receiver back in. Nb: when you power cycle the receiver, you may have to set it up using the controller again. Sometimes it takes the controller a while to see it show up on the network... try a time or two, wait 5 minutes, try again if that happens.

Also, from your log it looks like there's an issue with mySQL... I think this needs to run OK for Squeezecenter to work. You might check that your firewall is permitting everything from Squeezecenter and "mysqld".

With luck, that will help.

=========
    Re: your complaint that 3 days of reading have you feeling this is all super complicated...

It is complicated, depending on how you do it. However, beyond the question of getting the Duet/Squeezebox to work with your Vista machine, none of the rest of the issues are Slim Devices' fault. Their device does a good job connecting a Mac or Windows machine to the stereo. It's also extremely versatile re: plug-ins, running on linux, etc.

But setting up a NAS or linux server, or deciding how to rip your music library- those are big jobs (or were for me). But that's not Slim Devices' issue- you'd need to rip your library no matter what you got, and also figure out how to store/serve it.

So my (more general) advice:

- Run everything off your Vista machine. Setting up a server (especially linux or a NAS) will be a headache... wait until you want to undertake that task. Worth it for me, but maybe not for you. Certainly a server (especially a NAS or linux one) is not required- just convenient.

- If you already have MP3s, etc, just listen to them, and rip your new CDs (and/or go back to rip old ones to FLAC) at leisure. It's a big job to rip a library- take your time and figure out how to do it right, since you'll never want to do it again. Doing it slowly will minimize the pain too. dBPoweramp seems to be the most hassle-free of the ways to rip your library- I'm a loyal EAC user, but if the hassles are getting you down (and especially if you're about to embark on ripping a whole music collection), use dBPoweramp, if only for the particularly good track labeling it will do- worth the $35.

- BACK UP YOUR MUSIC LIBRARY. Do this BEFORE you start messing with the tags (track names)... too much time invested to have a mistake (or a bad hard drive) cost you. Storage is cheap these days (I got 500G external drive for $95 from Amazon).

- Server: if you want a dedicated one, you can short-circuit a lot of hassles by just using another XP or Vista box. Only try a NAS or Linux if you want to learn how to do it/undertake a project. Bonus: experience with linux/NAS, free OS. Cost: your time. I like Linux, but it is not as plug-n-play as XP or Vista, at least if your experience is mostly XP (as mine is).

- Once you're done with everything else, and feel like another project, do check out MusicIP. It's awfully cool.
    Last edited by lork; 2008-06-27 at 19:29. Reason: add mySQL comment

Anyone without problems?..

>> [08-06-27 20:10:21.1664] Slim::Web::JSONRPC::requestMethod (383)
    >> request not dispatchable!
    >> [08-06-27 20:10:21.1885] Slim::Web::JSONRPC::requestMethod (383)
    >> request not dispatchable!
    >> [08-06-27 20:11:02.9262] Slim::Utils::MySQLHelper::startServer (272)
    >> Warning: Couldn't install MySQL as a service! Will run as a process!
    >> [08-06-27 21:46:44.0202] Slim::Networking::Async::_connect_error (157)
    >> Failed to connect: Unknown error
    >> [08-06-27 21:46:44.0211] Slim::Networking::Async::_async_error (256)
    >> Error: [Connect timed out]
    >> [08-06-27 21:46:44.0214] Slim::Networking::Async::HTTP::_http_error
    >> (264) Error: [Connect timed out]
    >> [08-06-27 21:46:44.0220]

>
    > wow. that's ugly.

What's ugly? I don't see any serious problem here. We might need to change
    the wording, as these warnings seem scarier than they are:

- MySQL: running as a process instead of a service - who cares? It's
    running after all.

- communication with some remote server failed (eg. SN sync, or remote
    stream) - not critical

From the logs there's no indication that system doesn't work. I guess it's
    the firewall blocking access.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    >> [08-06-27 20:10:21.1664]
    From the logs there's no indication that system doesn't work. I guess it's
    the firewall blocking access.

Michael
    or possibly his AV software. He indicated he tried running with the firewall disabled. But, I can't find a post that indicates he performed the firewall port settings recommended in the manual.

sorry about the 'ugly' comment. I meant exception log formats in general, not squeeze stuff in particular.

thanks for all the replies ,
    today the squeezebox decided that prefers the wifi connection...

Nothing BUT problems

Count me as another would-be Duet user with no shortage of grief. Where shall I begin:

* player occasionally connects, often spontaneously disconnects, and takes ages to reconnect after being ignored for a while

* remote occasionally finds player and server, more often fails

* software is insanely complex, with options scattered randomly across tabs (e.g. why can't I refresh the library FROM the library screen??) Telling it to clear everything and rescan DIDN'T... it ended up scanning the old folders and the new. Etc. Etc.

I'm using all top-quality gear; the Wi-Fi is via a Linksys WRT350N. What's more, I am no beginner. I do this stuff professionally, and I'm currently testing a whole bunch of wireless devices, including two printers and an iPod Touch. Also on this same WLAN: a new Vista laptop, an HP IPAQ handheld, and a Nintendo Wii. Wired devices include 4 Windows XP Pro PCs, a 1TB Maxtor NAS, an Xbox 360 and a Sony PS3. ALL of these are working perfectly. At the very least, it's obvious that the Duet is WAY more finicky than any of the other devices I'm using.

The system running SqueezeCenter now has all of its security totally down. (Hardly ideal, is it?) Yet when I just selected "Albums" on the remote, it went into its "Connecting to PCNAME" display, then failed to the "Try Again" screen. Trying again fails again. Why, why, WHY??? Everything was actually connected a few minutes ago. I see it's now lost touch with the player as well; it was connected when I started typing this post.

This is absurd. So far, I've spent about four hours fighting with this device, and about five minutes listening to music. If there's some specific Squeezebox glitch that I have to fix, I've been unable to track it down. If it's a problem on my network, it's one that a dozen other devices seem impervious to. I've got videos streaming on several devices; MUSIC should have been trivial. It's not. How much time should a new user be prepared to invest in this foolishness?

I'd be happy to hear any constructive suggestions. (Yes, I will be talking to tech support - but I find the forums are usually quicker and more helpful. I'm hoping that will be the case here.)