Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Robert J. Wygand, III, Esq., D. D.
    Guest

    Out of Memory errors

    Hi,

    I've recently been populating my music library with cover art. I'm using
    iTunes to do this, so the images are being stored in the files
    themselves, insofar as I can tell.

    Sadly, slimserver now dies while scanning my music library with "Out of
    memory!" printed to the console. Is this a known problem? Do I have any
    alternatives other than getting more memory or removing the cover art?

    I'm running 5.1.1 on Linux.

    Thanks,
    rjw

  2. #2
    Gadfly, Former Founder Slim Devices dean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    4,427

    Out of Memory errors

    Hi Robert,

    How much memory does your computer have? How big is your music library?

    --dean

    On Mar 8, 2004, at 10:05 PM, Robert J. Wygand, III, Esq., D. D. wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've recently been populating my music library with cover art. I'm
    > using iTunes to do this, so the images are being stored in the files
    > themselves, insofar as I can tell.
    >
    > Sadly, slimserver now dies while scanning my music library with "Out
    > of memory!" printed to the console. Is this a known problem? Do I have
    > any alternatives other than getting more memory or removing the cover
    > art?
    >
    > I'm running 5.1.1 on Linux.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > rjw
    >

  3. #3
    Robert J. Wygand, III, Esq., D. D.
    Guest

    Out of Memory errors

    It's an old box that I've been running slimserver on for years now. It's
    only got 128 MB of RAM... and my music library is 71 GB (11609 songs).
    You will, no doubt, tell me to get more RAM, I'm just not sure I'll be
    able to find any, or even what sort it takes... the box is over 6 years old.

    I was just curious about two things... if each track of an album has the
    same cover art, does slimserver store a copy of that art in memory for
    each track, or just one copy? Also, is it possible to start slimserver
    without scanning the library, so I can use the 'Browse Music Folder'
    functionality to play music?

    Thanks,
    rjw

    dean blackketter wrote:

    > Hi Robert,
    >
    > How much memory does your computer have? How big is your music library?
    >
    > --dean
    >
    > On Mar 8, 2004, at 10:05 PM, Robert J. Wygand, III, Esq., D. D. wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've recently been populating my music library with cover art. I'm
    >> using iTunes to do this, so the images are being stored in the files
    >> themselves, insofar as I can tell.
    >>
    >> Sadly, slimserver now dies while scanning my music library with "Out
    >> of memory!" printed to the console. Is this a known problem? Do I have
    >> any alternatives other than getting more memory or removing the cover
    >> art?
    >>
    >> I'm running 5.1.1 on Linux.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> rjw
    >>

  4. #4
    NOT a Slim Devices Employee kdf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    9,493

    Out of Memory errors

    Quoting "Robert J. Wygand, III, Esq., D. D." <rob (AT) wygand (DOT) com>:

    > It's an old box that I've been running slimserver on for years now. It's
    > only got 128 MB of RAM... and my music library is 71 GB (11609 songs).
    > You will, no doubt, tell me to get more RAM, I'm just not sure I'll be
    > able to find any, or even what sort it takes... the box is over 6 years old.
    >
    > I was just curious about two things... if each track of an album has the
    > same cover art, does slimserver store a copy of that art in memory for
    > each track, or just one copy? Also, is it possible to start slimserver
    > without scanning the library, so I can use the 'Browse Music Folder'
    > functionality to play music?
    >

    currently, it stores in memory the path where the artwork can be found for each
    song. If the artwork is an embedded ID3 tag, then it caches '1'. The raw
    artwork file is read on demand, and in the nightly builds we have HTTP 1.1
    support which should allow the browser to properly cache the artwork. You can
    turn off the artwork scan completely to save memory usage. Its in Server
    Settings, additional, performance. There is currently no way to stop the scan
    altogether.

    -kdf

  5. #5
    Robert J. Wygand, III, Esq., D. D.
    Guest

    Out of Memory errors

    All my artwork is now in ID3 tags, whereas before it was mixed. I
    shouldm in theory, be using little more memory than I was before -- not
    enough to cause the service to die at 'I' which is where it's crapping out.

    Maybe I'll try rolling back to 5.0.1 and see if the problem persists.

    rjw

    kdf wrote:

    > Quoting "Robert J. Wygand, III, Esq., D. D." <rob (AT) wygand (DOT) com>:
    >
    >
    >>It's an old box that I've been running slimserver on for years now. It's
    >>only got 128 MB of RAM... and my music library is 71 GB (11609 songs).
    >>You will, no doubt, tell me to get more RAM, I'm just not sure I'll be
    >>able to find any, or even what sort it takes... the box is over 6 years old.
    >>
    >>I was just curious about two things... if each track of an album has the
    >>same cover art, does slimserver store a copy of that art in memory for
    >>each track, or just one copy? Also, is it possible to start slimserver
    >>without scanning the library, so I can use the 'Browse Music Folder'
    >>functionality to play music?
    >>

    >
    > currently, it stores in memory the path where the artwork can be found for each
    > song. If the artwork is an embedded ID3 tag, then it caches '1'. The raw
    > artwork file is read on demand, and in the nightly builds we have HTTP 1.1
    > support which should allow the browser to properly cache the artwork. You can
    > turn off the artwork scan completely to save memory usage. Its in Server
    > Settings, additional, performance. There is currently no way to stop the scan
    > altogether.
    >
    > -kdf
    >

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •