Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Choppy playback, unlistenable :

I upggraded to SC7 a few weeks ago, and after a AVS issue, everything worked great.
    This week i replaced the graphics card in my pc, switched it back on, and now my sb3 is unplayable. Every song is choppy, stuttering etc. Occasionaly it plays 2-3 mins fine, then breaks up. (SC7 is the only application running on XP SP3 machine, 2gb memory, 3.5ghz dual core cpu.) Looking at running running processes, mysqld and sc7 jump from 0-20% cpu usage about every 20 seconds or so, and the buffer usage on my SB3 is 0-4%. Its not like the song plays and stops, its like a record thats jumping, it just doesn't seem able to play anything at all, then occasional it plays fine, then back to stuttering.

Help ...

SC log has no errors btw, wireless signal is 89.

BT
    Last edited by BigTony; 2008-06-15 at 12:52.
    We're Only In It For The Music! www.zappateers.com

Update.

The only item in the log was a DNS error, saying it couldn't find the DNS. Will this effect playback? and how do I fix it?

Cheers

Tony

DNS issue is unlikely to affect playback from local files.

It sounds like your AVS issue again - you may need to re-enter the settings again to exclude checking of SC and database files.

Another likely cause of stuttering is wireless interference from a another newly setup Wifi net or a new electrical device. Use Netstumbler to see what nets are in your area ?

What format are the files ?

I swithced off the AVS, just to make sure (AVS didn't interfere with playback, just artwork display on my N800).
    I ran netstumbler before and didn't find anything bad, I live at the end of a cul-de-sac with a field behind me (unless someone sneaks into the field at night!).
    Is there anything else to try? I've reset my SB3, reinstalled SC7, re-scanned my music collection?
    All my files are FLAC's.

BT

In open country wifi has a range of a couple of miles and some people have also upped the power output of their routers.

Electrical interference can comes from a number of sources including anecdotally from items such as fluorescent tubes and burglar alarms.

Eliminate wireless as a possibility by wiring Sb3 to router (if
    necessary move SB3 closer to router and use earphones to test).

Ok, I'll give it a try by wiring it directly to the router.
    The question then is, if that works, how do I get it back working wirelessley? as a 10M network cable in the lounge won't go down very well!

Cheers

BT

Quote Originally Posted by BigTony View Post
    Ok, I'll give it a try by wiring it directly to the router.
    The question then is, if that works, how do I get it back working wirelessley? as a 10M network cable in the lounge won't go down very well!

Cheers

BT
    Change the channel on your wireless access point could be an option. Try different ones and perhaps you can avoid the issue. If it is a wireless interference issue it could be tricky to fix.

If it is wireless changing channel may help - 13 is less used in Europe.

However since the problem seems to have occurred when you change graphics card you may have a rare problem related to PCI latency. It doesn't happen very often so it is a long shot.

See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=31748

I don't knwo how to cure it on XP but it may be a BIOS setting.

Before I go in search of a 10M cable I decided to see if a stream to my N800 would suffer the same fate. ANd the answer is nope, its plays faultlessly (even as I sit writing this) so whats evers up is only affecting the SB3 (I've sat the n800 next to the SB3, so any wireless interference should be the same).

Anyone got a spare hammer?

One additonal point, its very hard to turn the Sb3 on/off - it doen't seem to respond to the remote, and sometimes the screen on the Sb3 just goes completely blank!

Ok, just tried it out with a network cable, exactly the same problem. Buffer approximately 0%, playback stutters etc .. I have a sinking feeling that the box has died..... bummer

BT
    Last edited by BigTony; 2008-06-16 at 06:09.

Does the N800 play the files as Flac or transcoded into MP3 ?