Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Spent 3 hours with tech support last night...

....results? I had nothing that worked when we were done.

Started with not being able to connect to SqueezeNetwork and finished up with not even having one out of two receivers working at all. The tech wanted to "sleep on it".

Now, I'm not nagging the tech support guys, except for the fact that just like almost all tier one support folks they want you to blow everything clean and start over. I went from tier 1 to tier 2 and both were friendly and professional and I believe had my best interests at heart. What I am bleeping about..AAAAgain.. is that if these guys can't get my little system working in three hours of trying, what hope does the average...nay...the above average...oh, Hell.. any user have?

After another hour of fooling with it on my own I now can hit SN from both recievers. I have no idea how and for the first time I received a PIN number for SoftSqueeze and it now shows on my controller. Is that normal??? Never had it before and I've been using softsqueeze quite a bit.

So here's the down and dirty of it. Logitech! Whatever it takes, I beleive a big step in making this thing a bit easier to work with would be to make it so you can assign static IP addresses without the whole darn work around and fudging. All in all for some reason when I reassigned new IP addresses to my receivers, they could now be seen by SN, where before, not matter what we did, they weren't.

During my conversation with tech support I asked twice if there was a way that we could not use DHCP and just assign an IP. Twice the question was glossed over and I believe it's because getting the receiver to the point where it asks you to choose between static and DHCP is hit or miss. The only time the choice came up for me was after getting off the phone. It was about 5 minutes later that I got the entire mess working and connected to SN.

For any network with out a domain server I see absolutely no reason to use DHCP unless of course you are out of addresses to use if you static assign. DHCP has it's uses, but can be a pain in the butt so why make it the only way to go.

I see a lot of suggestions on how to make the SB a better music management device, etc.. I wish I could get to the stage where I could even start thinking about those issues :-) without first having to make the thing work all over again. I bet my listening to fiddling ratio is about 1 to 10 right now. Last night being a good example. I came home, tried to listen to some music, called Logitech, stayed on the phone for 3 hours, spent about another hour getting it working, spent 15 minutes listening to music. At that point I hadn't done any of my chores, the dog crapped himself for lack of a walk, my wife and son left me, the bank foreclosed on my home and the power company shut the power off. All because I've become a full time nanny for a little black box...

Peace

geek

As a new user, that has been the theme of my criticism.

My first experience with SqueezeCenter was a problem installing that could only be resolved by completely uninstalling my firewall. I posted here and no one suggested it. I was supposed to call Tech Support. However, I uninstalled the firewall due to apparent incompatibility with ANOTHER app and found coincidentally that now SC would install.

Since then I ran into the loss-of-scanning-new-music bug. Apparently that one is being worked on by Star Fleet Command.

If I didn't have a lot a PC experience, patience, and resourcefulness in finding this forum and trying things, I would have given up on the Duet a while back.

As I said in another post, the Duet is not for folks who lack the ability to configure a network and work through the almost inevitable issues that can ensue.

However, my music-to-fiddle ratio is a bit better than yours at about 3:1.

Hey Jim, there's a good survey question....

What's your music to fiddle ratio?? I think I'll start that one.

More on topic, I wonder if they will ever get the SB so the average person can use it. I wonder if they are trying to? I don't believe the comments about being "open source" as being a valid reason for being so difficult. I don't see why it can't be simple to use and open source at the same time.

Anyone with a clear explanation of why the two are incompatable?

Howard

> My first experience with SqueezeCenter was a problem installing that
    > could only be resolved by completely uninstalling my firewall. I

What firewall are/were you using?

--

Michael

> More on topic, I wonder if they will ever get the SB so the average
    > person can use it.

We surely hope so. And we're working hard on it. I'm right now improving the installer which then should recognize common issues like firewalls blocking network access, other applications conflicting with the same resources we'd like to use etc.

> I wonder if they are trying to? I don't believe
    > the comments about being "open source" as being a valid reason for
    > being so difficult.

No, the main reason is it's a networking product. There are too many variables in every networking environment. Some competitor worked around this issue by simply ignoring any standards and using their very own proprietary networking protocols, closing down any access for third parties. And even some networking equipment manufacturers don't implement the standards they print on their boxes. That's not the way we want to go.

--

Michael

Hi Michael

Thanks for the reply. I really don't think home networks are the biggest issue. Tons of folks do manage to get them set up with no help or the help of a friend. Of course wireless makes it worse, but...

I'm not using any firewall since I don't use the browser. My feeling are most security issues are caused (A) by browsing and (B)email or IM type use.

What seemed to make everything start working was changing the IP addresses when I finally got to the point where the receivers would allow me to assign static addresses. I'm surmising it was a DHCP issue even though the receivers were getting ip's. If that's the case, it's just those good old cheap Linksys routers. That's the reason I'm saying Logitech should make an GUI to assign ip addresses from SC to the reciever. I really think it would help immensely.

While I have you, is there a sure fire way to get the receiver to give you the choice of using static addressing?

Also, looking back now, I realize the first issue that pointed towards a problem was when Flickr quit working as a screen saver. I didn't realize it was related until I got everything working again last night and my Flickr screen saver started working again.

Thanks,

Howard

Howard Passman wrote:
    > I really don't think home networks are the biggest issue.
    >[snip]
    > What seemed to make everything start working was changing the IP
    > addresses when I finally got to the point where the receivers would
    > allow me to assign static addresses. I'm surmising it was a DHCP issue
    > even though the receivers were getting ip's.

You say its not networking, but what works is all about networking.

Home networking in general, and WiFi in particular is not ready for mass
    markets yet. Its the networking.

I run my network with control over DNS and DHCP, and it just works. When
    I got my Receiver, I plugged it in and it has worked perfectly since
    with zero fiddling.

I run DNS and DHCP servers on my music server.

--
    Pat Farrell
    http://www.pfarrell.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Passman View Post
    I'm not using any firewall since I don't use the browser.
    He means the router (or ASDL router). If you can't access Squeezenetwork the problem must be within your network.

If you are not using a router/firewall/nat-device then you might not be getting an IP address from you provider because they are all used up. Cablecom here only hands out 4 Ip addresses per cable-modem..

Windows?

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Passman View Post
    ....results? I had nothing that worked when we were done.

Peace
    For both Howard and Jimzak, let me guess that both of you are using Windows? Between Windows and the fact that the Squeezebox IS a Network Media Player (the keyword being Network) a bunch of things can already be wrong before one starts out to setup a Duet. As Pat said, I had mine up and running in 10 minutes and I was sitting on the couch taking my time. I have had no real problems with it whatsoever. When I set Duets up for friends the average time after installing SC to get it up and running is about 6 minutes. Most of these friends know next to nothing about PCs much less Networks. I do not get phone calls from them about having problems. Maybe it is because they do not fiddle around with their PCs or have extra apps runnning all the time.

Main issues that I run into are Windows, Active Anti-virus (waste of time and PC CPU resourses), and Firewalls. If one is having major problems my suggestion is build a server for SC or drag an old PC out and only use it for SC. Is a stand alone server required? No it is not. Would most people be better off running it on a server? I think they would.

Is the Squeezebox of everybody, not yet as long as the world keeps being contaminated by MicroSoft and folks don't have a home network.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone View Post
    As Pat said, I had mine up and running in 10 minutes and I was sitting on the couch taking my time. I have had no real problems with it whatsoever. When I set Duets up for friends the average time after installing SC to get it up and running is about 6 minutes.
    I'm trying to avoid Howard's threads but please keep it real.

Quoting the time it takes to get it up and running AFTER you've setup SqueezeCenter is a little pointless, no? For many beginners, setting up the SC server is the hardest part by far. You already had a server setup in your home, so your 10mins is irrelevant. For the other owners, you discount the setup time.

In my case, just indexing the music took almost 2hours. That doesn't include the time I spent downloading the installer, getting SqueezeCenter to start etc.

10 minutes isn't just unrealistic for a new owner, it's impossible.
    Ben - eco conscious techie and author of Jaffa's Green Blog - http://www.jaffacake.net