Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Download Album as MP3

Hi

i have all my cd's as flac in sqeezecenter. My question, is there a way to download an entire album as mp3 for uploading it to the mp3 player? any plugins?

thanks

Download Album as MP3

Klaus wrote:
    > i have all my cd's as flac in sqeezecenter. My question, is there a way
    > to download an entire album as mp3 for uploading it to the mp3 player?
    > any plugins?

Not a plug in, but Robin's flac2mp3 does exactly what you need

--
    Pat Farrell
    http://www.pfarrell.com/

What you need to do is re-encode (or transcode as it can be refered to as) them to MP3. Downloading is completely different

the perl script flac2mp3 works well (google for it) thats whay I use. It isn't the most ueser friendly though as it is a Perl script run from a command line.

DBPoweramp works well too, although I don't think it is free. Foobar2000 can do it too.

There are hundreds of others ouit there that can do what you want.

thanks for your advices, but there are several points ;-)

- i don't want to convert my complete collection to mp3
    - i want something, as when you go into a single track in squeezecenter, you can download the original flac, as squeezecenter can stream realtime to mp3, would be nice if it can be downloaded as mp3
    - the thing should be somewhere in the gui, no external tools, because then it get's too complicated for others to use (e.g. wife, kids ;-)

thanks for other input ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus View Post

- i want something, as when you go into a single track in squeezecenter, you can download the original flac, as squeezecenter can stream realtime to mp3, would be nice if it can be downloaded as mp3
    - the thing should be somewhere in the gui, no external tools, because then it get's too complicated for others to use (e.g. wife, kids ;-)

Just what I need too.
    SB Touch optical to Hegel H90, Speakers Larsen 4.2
    Spare SB3
    AirPlay Bridge to Audio Pro A10
    Squeezelite-x connected to home LMS with Neorouter.
    SB Radio
    ReadyNAS 202
    iPeng

Are you talking about downloading songs to a portable mp3 player from your library? If so, one I use that can transcode on the fly to a device is mediamonkey. You just have it share the same library and then you select what you want and if it's flac you set what you want to convert to, and it does it on the fly.
    If this isn't what you are talking about, then never mind.
    If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use is the rule.

HTTP://www.last.fm/user/nonreality

Ah, i see. Your first post wasn't clear at all.

You could try http://www.screamer-radio.com/, a stream ripper
    Set up screamer-radio as you want it - recording folder etc and point to http://localhost:9000/stream.mp3, (or whatever ip your squeezecenter server is on) and away you go. You can set up the player bit rate in squeezecenter Settings > Players.

The main disadvantage is that Screamer records in real-time.

Quicker ways to do what you want have already been suggested by other responders.
    P2 266MHz, ubuntu server 10.04 SBS 7.6.0 - r31284
    AMD64x2 ubuntu 10.04, SBS 7.5.2 - r30889
    Dell 10v WinXP SBS 7.5.2 - r31264
    Dell 10v ubuntu netbook remix 10.04, SBS 7.6.0 - r30830
    Players: Classic, Duet, Boom

thanks for your suggestions, but the thing I have in mind is more... that on the album and track level you can choose download as mp3 (bitrate etc is configured in settings of the server).

if a single track is selected, it will be downloaded as mp3, if an album a zip will be sent including all mp3... correct tags and cover embedded ;-) (and resized ;-)))

so, maybe an idea for release 15.0 ;-) ... but if you don't have samba access to your files, something like this would be great.

Sounds a neat idea if someone wants to feed their MP3 player while at work or the like. Maybe one could just go and do a flac2mp3 on the fly in the background then start the download. Should be easy but low pri.

Q @ developers: Since I didn’t yet delve into the sources that far: Could something like this easily be done as a plugin?
    Last edited by Moonbase; 2008-12-12 at 16:04.