Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Squeezebox Controller - Clock stopped

I'm using the default analogue clock screensaver on my Duet handset, I actually quite like it. Overnight, however, it stopped and was stuck somewhere around 4am.

I assumed the system had crashed, locked up or something, but it hadn't. As soon as I picked up the handset, the screensaver ended and the UI clearly showed the current time. Back in the charging stand and it's been fine for the last 30mins.

I understand that the SB controller runs a local linux OS, this must have a local clock. Is this the one used in the display? I'm wondering how it could stop and then awaken without crashing the OS. Unless it was simply just a frozen screensaver process.

Anybody else experienced this?

If it was out of the cradle overnight it will have gone to sleep to save power, that obviously will have stopped the clock. The other alternative is it would have run out of battery and died.

It was in the cradle the whole time.

I'm thinking the time it stopped may have co-incided with the time I shut down the SC on my laptop. Would a connection to SC be required for the clock?

Not sure to be honest, I wouldn't have thought so.

Quote Originally Posted by jaffacake View Post
    It was in the cradle the whole time.

I'm thinking the time it stopped may have co-incided with the time I shut down the SC on my laptop. Would a connection to SC be required for the clock?
    Yes, it needs to be connected to either SC or SqueezeNetwork. It's a slim device, meaning that on its own, it's so dumb that it doesn't even know the time of day. If you routinely shut down SC but still want the clock, get in the habit of switching over to Squeezenetwork when you shut down SC. It's just a few button presses away. Somewhere there's an enhancement request to add an option to switch over to SN automatically when SC goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by aubuti View Post
    Yes, it needs to be connected to either SC or SqueezeNetwork. It's a slim device, meaning that on its own, it's so dumb that it doesn't even know the time of day. If you routinely shut down SC but still want the clock, get in the habit of switching over to Squeezenetwork when you shut down SC. It's just a few button presses away. Somewhere there's an enhancement request to add an option to switch over to SN automatically when SC goes down.
    Interesting.

On my original post I mentioned that I thought the controller was a stand-alone Linux powered machine. Surely it has a clock?

Sorry, I mistakenly answered a different question from what you asked. It's the Squeezeboxes that are slim devices, and yes, the SBC is indeed a small computer running linux. Whether or not it has it's own clock, I don't honestly know. Sorry for the misinformation. And stop calling me Shirley ;o)

Same here. If SqueezeCenter goes to sleep the clock on the Controller will stop some time later (only the screensaver).
    If you pick up the controller it shows the correct time.
    (both 7.0 r1097 and 7.0.1 r2287 are affected)

Is there already an open bug on this issue?

Nice one, thanks. I quite like the clock.