Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

My new SqueezeCenter

Smaller is not possible.

This VIA Artigo was build from the kit (http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/embedded/artigo/) in less that 30min and sports a 120Gig harddisk for the OS (Ubuntu 7.10) and the 500Gig USB harddisk on the left hand side for music.

Smaller, faster and, most important, far less power consumption: 25 Watt (!).

Quote Originally Posted by th00ht View Post
    Smaller is not possible.

This VIA Artigo was build from the kit (http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/embedded/artigo/) in less that 30min and sports a 120Gig harddisk for the OS (Ubuntu 7.10) and the 500Gig USB harddisk on the left hand side for music.

How is the power usage for the Artigo box itself? I've got mine running on a FitPC (http://www.fit-pc.com/new/fit-pc/about-fit-pc.html)... it idles at 3watts (tested with a kill-a-watt), and maxes out at 5 watts. It does quite well, but ive seen it have some issues when I try to hit Fast Forward too many times while streaming ALAC files. A few ALAC processes get started up at once and bog the system down. After 20-30 seconds though they die and I'm left with just the one process I want.

I'm really hoping to find a system that idles at 8-10 watts, but runs around 1GHz instead of 500MHz..

egd
    Quote Originally Posted by th00ht View Post
    Smaller is not possible.

Almost down to a tee what I had in mind @ Thoughts on this as a standalone or networked SB3 Jukebox. How does it perform, and is it quiet enough to have running in the same room you're listening in e.g. a bedroom?
    Last edited by egd; 2008-04-22 at 16:10.

It's a nice box

My Artigo is running WinXP. It's got no problems running SqueezeCenter with (2) SB3's and a Duet.

Although I am disappointed with the fan noise. Is there a BIOS setting to throttle the fan? Am I missing something?

Paolo

Nice

Anyone out there running SlimNAS on one of these lovely little ARTiGO boxes?
    Does it cope OK?

Quote Originally Posted by polocruz View Post
    My Artigo is running WinXP. It's got no problems running SqueezeCenter with (2) SB3's and a Duet.

Although I am disappointed with the fan noise. Is there a BIOS setting to throttle the fan? Am I missing something?

Paolo
    The interesting thing about the Fit PC is that it's fanless... its designed to run Linux which is a bit more resource-friendly though. On mine I can easily support 3-4 squeezeboxes going at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by polocruz View Post
    That's right, it is noisy but as it is sitting in The Other Room I was not to concerned about noise but more about power consumption having the Dell Optiples drawing 100 Watts.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wise View Post
    How is the power usage for the Artigo box itself?
    It's a 1Ghz/1GByte/120Gbyte running Ubuntu for under 25Watt. It seems not to handle suspend or hibernate very well (or is this Ubuntu 7.10 ACPI screwing up??) so it is running full speed all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wise View Post
    I'm really hoping to find a system that idles at 8-10 watts, but runs around 1GHz instead of 500MHz..
    there is a fanless, heatpipe based unit with the same board available Sell Fanless Pico-ITX Case(GS-L08) Fanless Pico-ITX Case(GS-L08)

Is the noise of the unit noticable if you have something like the TV on?

I don't really have a spare room, and every time we have guests the server has to be turned off :-(