Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Duet Sound

Well, I don't trust this review...
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

Me and a friend has done some listening between an Linn Ikemi and the Squeezebox Duet, using the analog outputs in an all Linn-rig.
    They had a sound that was almost equal in quality. Maybe the Ikemi sounded a little worse. My friend and owner of the Linn-rig has now sold his Ikemi, and replaced it with the Duet.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
    Me and a friend has done some listening between an Linn Ikemi and the Squeezebox Duet, using the analog outputs in an all Linn-rig.
    They had a sound that was almost equal in quality. Maybe the Ikemi sounded a little worse. My friend and owner of the Linn-rig has now sold his Ikemi, and replaced it with the Duet.
    That's what I did year ago (with my SB2 - digital out into Linn 5103).
    The Ikemi was great but...
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

neither the Wolfson chip in this player nor the Squeezebox 3 can match the punch, timing and atmospherics of a similarly priced dedicated separates CD player
    ROFL! .

Some friends and I recently tested out a few devices (Receiver, SB3, Tranpsorter, SB+, Naim CDX) on a top end Naim hifi with B&W Nautiless speakers. No DACS in sight. We didn't devote too much time to the Receiver and the SB3, but the differences were not remarked upon as being great. However, I was personally interested to hear that what I perceive as the slightly deadening "flatness" of the SB3 sound was not apparent in the Receiver.

Caveat: In my experience comparisons like this only have any benefit or relevance for the individuals conducting the tests. Everyone else appears to hear everything very differently (witness this forum). This is why I think audiophile reviews or audiophile opinions are generally not worth a jot. I probably shouldn't have bothered replying to your post, but despite myself couldn't resist.

MC
    Last edited by ModelCitizen; 2008-04-17 at 13:53.
    Take care of your tongue. It is in a wet place and can easily slip.

Quote Originally Posted by ModelCitizen View Post
    Some friends and I tested out a few devices (Receiver, SB3, Tranpsorter, SB+, Naim CDX) on a top end Naim hifi with B&W Nautiless speakers recently. No DACS in sight. We didn't devote too much time to the Receiver and the SB3, but the differences were not remarked upon as being great. For me personally I was interested to hear that what I perceive as the slightly deadening "flatness" of the SB3 sound was not apparent in the Receiver.

Caveat: In my experience comparisons like this only have any benefit or relevance for the individuals conducting the tests. Everyone else (witness this forum) appears to hear everything very differently. This is why audiophile reviews or audiophile opinions are generally not worth a jot. I probably shouldn't have bothered replying to your post really, but despite myself couldn't resist.

MC
    LOL, this may well be one of the best posts I have ever read . :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzyguy View Post
    I have owned the SB3 now for a couple of years and won't get the Duet until I know how the 2 compare in sound quality, being an Audiophile and all.
    I doubt any true audiophile would use either of the devices.

A place where something is or could be located; a site.
    Quote Originally Posted by kazinvan View Post
    I doubt any true audiophile would use either of the devices.
    Pay attention, folks - a True Audiophile has kindly stooped down to enlighten us.

What should we be using, oh master?

Quote Originally Posted by opaqueice View Post
    Vinyl, obviously.

:-|

MC
    Take care of your tongue. It is in a wet place and can easily slip.

Quote Originally Posted by opaqueice View Post
    Pay attention, folks - a True Audiophile has kindly stooped down to enlighten us.

I didn't say I'm a true audiophile, but I have seen enough high end equipment to know that a $200 wireless streaming device likely doesn't fit the bill. If you spent $15K on a pair of speakers, $10K on an amp, then more cash on room treatments, cables, etc would your source be a duet? Maybe, but I bet a lot of people who spend that kind of money get high end CD players, good DACs, etc.