Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Duet Control, plugin earphones?

Hello,

I got the Duet a few days ago, great, I love it. But got a question: There is a plug for earphones on the controller. If I plugin ear phones, I can hear the noises from the controller. But I would like to stream musik out there as well, is that possible as well?

Thanks, Mike

Not at this time, possibly in the future.

Any idea when this could be the case?

When someone writes the code. At present the public stance of SD/Logitech is that development of this feature will depend on the wider Squeezebox community (i.e., volunteer developers). I don't know the details well, but I vaguely recall that during the beta testing period some users managed to get it to work using squeezeslave. As they say, patches are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by aubuti View Post
    When someone writes the code. At present the public stance of SD/Logitech is that development of this feature will depend on the wider Squeezebox community (i.e., volunteer developers). I don't know the details well, but I vaguely recall that during the beta testing period some users managed to get it to work using squeezeslave. As they say, patches are welcome.
    You are joking for sure or... Why would Logitech include an extra feature that they don't plan to use and develop ...?

They wanted the hardware to be as flexible as possible. There is audio hardware in the controller for the button sounds, so adding a 3.5mm jack would have been fairly trivial.

Having the controller as just a controller at the moment is the _official_ stance. This may change at a future point.

If you are being cynical, you could surmise that when sales of the Controler start to slow, they could release new firmware with streaming and playback of stored music (there is a SD slot capable of 32GB in there) to boost sales. Same hardware, yet it becomes a very different product after that

Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    If you are being cynical, you could surmise that when sales of the Controler start to slow, they could release new firmware with streaming and playback of stored music (there is a SD slot capable of 32GB in there) to boost sales. Same hardware, yet it becomes a very different product after that
    Thanks funkstar!
    I would love that to happen soon Really would be fantastic to be able to listen using earphones. I would pay extra for a firmware upgrade doing that already now.

There is even more unexploited connectivity - the expansion port at the bottom (for which there is no readily available cable) has the following according to the wiki

Expansion connector that brings out: serial, USB (host or device), audio out, audio in, 3.3v out, 5v in

Dont forget the Infra-Red emittor (next to the headphone socket) - can wait for someone to write a simple plugin to allow me to control my Amp's (just on/off would do me for now).

As for the music playback through the headphones - i cant see how it would take much work. The UI is already there and the DAC works for playing menu sound effects. All we need is to be able to go into "choose player" and see "Controller" on the list. I guess the hard part is streaming the music to it?

Serious kudos to the first person who does it. I'll buy them a beer... make that 2
    Last edited by autopilot; 2008-03-30 at 15:33.
    Cheers, auto.

Lounge: Squeezebox 3, Squeezebox Controller, Cambridge Audio 640A, Mission 701's Kitchen: Squeezebox Touch, Trends TA-10.1, Kef Cresta 1's. Bedroom: Squeezebox Boom Bathroom/Garden: Squeezebox Radio Car: iPod Classic 80GB Portable: iPhone 3GS 32Gb (+iPeng)

Quote Originally Posted by autopilot View Post
    Serious kudos to the first person who does it. I'll buy them a beer... make that 2
    This could easily turn into a "how drunk can we get the dev team" contest

Remember, Americans are light weights