Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Grave doubts about Logitech 'support"

I was wondering if Logitech Support has helped anyone resolve a problem, without having to do a clean install of the software (slimerserver or squeezecenter).

I contacted them earlier this year with an issue, and they had only one answer: deletes all traces of the software and do a clean install. As this would mean losing all the various settings I have done to the server, and plugins, I really didn't want to do it. So I ignored them, and managed to find an answer elsewhere. Once someone told me what to look for in the log files, I tracked down a troublesome file in a music folder, deleted it, and everything worked fine again.

I got the feeling that Logitech Support either didn't know how to really troubleshoot a problem (on a Mac anyway), or that they do - but telling people to wipe everything and start again is easier. I fear the latter is true, as this time the 'first tier' of support told me to do just that, without any attempt to track down the problem. I have now been promoted to the 2nd tier, and low and behold they are saying the exact same thing - before they have even attempted to find out what the problem really is.

This kind of 'Support' might be normal in a Windows environment, but as a Mac user (and very long term slim devices customer) I find it shoddy and lazy.

Has anyone managed to get real support from them? If so, could you let me have the name of the support staff who helped you? I am beginning to wonder if anyone there really understands the nuts and bolts of the software.

Sorry if I sound riled - but I am. I do not consider this to be 'support' at all.

Every time I call Sprint or AT&T to report a line down, their first question is, "have you reset your equipment?"

If "for some large percentage of problems" the triage of "try a reinstall, see if that fixes it" fixes things, then it is a fine methodology.

Their job is to get you up and running as quickly as possible, so that they can move onto helping the next customer. In _many_ cases a problem is due to a corrupted installation, bad cached data, custom settings, third party plugins, etc and so doing a clean install will either fix the problem right away or make the subsequent troubleshooting much easier. I've never called them myself but I've heard a lot of praise for SD support in the past, certainly more than most other helpdesks.

I find your Mac comment quite entertaining given Apple's recommended solution for pretty much any iPod problem - restart and reinstall! (http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/five_rs/ipod5gen/). Same goes for Aperture, Final Cut, etc. First update to latest version, then delete user prefs, then reinstall.

Ben Sandee

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 5:33 PM, snoogly <
    snoogly.36wigb1206570901 (AT) no-mx ...limdevices.com> wrote:

>
    >
    > I contacted them earlier this year with an issue, and they had only one
    > answer: deletes all traces of the software and do a clean install. As
    > this would mean losing all the various settings I have done to the
    > server, and plugins, I really didn't want to do it. So I ignored them,
    > and managed to find an answer elsewhere. Once someone told me what to
    > look for in the log files, I tracked down a troublesome file in a music
    > folder, deleted it, and everything worked fine again.
    >

First of all, your subject is just a bit melodramatic. To have grave doubts
    about something like this is taking things a bit too seriously.

Second, you have to realize what perspective the support people are coming
    from. Most people haven't invested a great deal of time in their player
    settings and are most interested in getting their music playing ASAP.
    Digging around in log files is the LAST thing most people calling support
    want to do. They want it fixed, and they want it fixed an hour ago. For
    most people, doing a clean install is the FASTEST way to resolve a problem
    and get their music playing again. For those that have other priorities
    there are certainly other options available to them and you have done well
    for yourself -- congratulations.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by snoogly View Post
    I was wondering if Logitech Support has helped anyone resolve a problem, without having to do a clean install of the software (slimerserver or squeezecenter).

I contacted them earlier this year with an issue, and they had only one answer: deletes all traces of the software and do a clean install. As this would mean losing all the various settings I have done to the server, and plugins, I really didn't want to do it. So I ignored them, and managed to find an answer elsewhere. Once someone told me what to look for in the log files, I tracked down a troublesome file in a music folder, deleted it, and everything worked fine again.

I got the feeling that Logitech Support either didn't know how to really troubleshoot a problem (on a Mac anyway), or that they do - but telling people to wipe everything and start again is easier. I fear the latter is true, as this time the 'first tier' of support told me to do just that, without any attempt to track down the problem. I have now been promoted to the 2nd tier, and low and behold they are saying the exact same thing - before they have even attempted to find out what the problem really is.

This kind of 'Support' might be normal in a Windows environment, but as a Mac user (and very long term slim devices customer) I find it shoddy and lazy.

Has anyone managed to get real support from them? If so, could you let me have the name of the support staff who helped you? I am beginning to wonder if anyone there really understands the nuts and bolts of the software.

Sorry if I sound riled - but I am. I do not consider this to be 'support' at all.

This kind of support is the norm for any kind of equipment as it solves 90% of problems.
    My understanding - having monitored these forums for many years now - is that SD support is way way above what you get from most manufacturer support forums. YMMV.
    Touch wood I have NEVER had to contact SD support. But I've seen many happy customers who have. The same cannot be said for lots of manufacturers....
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

formerly known as Fletch
    I don't work in any kind of tech support (anymore), but I try to spend some time supporting users on these forums. I generally avoid suggesting the "start over and reinstall" solution, but it's always in the front of my mind. IMO, by the time someone has contacted support or posted on the forums, he has probably tried 5 or 10 things on his own that didn't work. The chances that these unsuccessful fixes have broken things that are unrelated to the original problem are significant. I'd rather start debugging a problem with a "clean" installation.

I certainly have my doubts

I have been very pleased with the Duet that I got a couple of weeks ago, but I was having trouble getting the new SqueezeCenter server to scan my music collection (this is under Linux). After several days I contacted tech support and provided quite a bit of info (including, as it turns out, precisely the reason for the problem). Two weeks later, the tech support person had frankly been of absolutely no help at all, and had seemingly ignored all my observations that the scanner program wasn't even running. Having a couple spare hours finally, and having given up on tech support being of any help, I learned enough Perl to be able to read the scanner code and instrument it to see what was happening. Sure enough, there were problems with module loading that caused the scanner to exit without doing any scanning (and without doing *any* logging). Luckily I was able to get SC to use the version of the module already installed in my system. However, as I told the tech support guy, I would hardly be able to recommend this product to "normal people" as they wouldn't be capable of debugging the company's code, and that is apparently necessary if you actually want to get something fixed. Certainly not a good experience. So I would have give the tech support an F! Too bad, as I am very impressed with most other aspects of the SqueezeBox. However, very reluctant now to recommend it to people that aren't, say, programmers.

service is ok.

They took there time with me a while back.
    The solution was not exactly stellar so from me they get:

(2/5) for "tech support"*
    (5/5) for friendly attitude, and willingness to help :-)

*not easy to support such a buggy thing as 6.5.x

Now theres probably a barrage of newcomers flooding the service line, so who nows.

</flame suit on>
    </stating the obvious on>

The long term solution would be a less buggy product that didn't needed so much fiddling, to get to work

</stating the obvious off>
    </flame suit off>

OK, so I am eating humble pie and recognise that Logitech support isn't so different from any other kind of support. I guess it's the basic principal that a fresh instal is always the best way to start - even with a complex system like slimserver/squeezecenter.

If being asked to do a clean instal was accompanied by a note that all server settings would be lost, it might make it less potentially troublesome. Perhaps advice on how to backup settings (if that is possible) could also be given before being requested to do a clean instal. That's what really bugs me ~ a blanket piece of advice, without a warning that settings will be lost, and no hint as how to back up those settings.

> I have been very pleased with the Duet that I got a couple of weeks ago,
    > but I was having trouble getting the new SqueezeCenter server to scan my
    > music collection (this is under Linux).

[..]
    > module already installed in my system. However, as I told the tech
    > support guy, I would hardly be able to recommend this product to
    > "normal people" as they wouldn't be capable of debugging the company's

"normal people" is a very loose definition. Don't get me wrong. But you're not normal ;-). "normal people" use Windows or (still normal?) OSX. SC comes with a nice installer for these platforms. No need to fiddle with modules on those systems.

Marginally "normal people" use something as esoteric as Ubuntu and run "apt-get install squeezecenter". This takes care of the modules, too.

What OS/platform are you using? I'd guess it's some non-Debian Linux or a x64 platform?

Technical support cares about "normal people".

--

Michael