Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

New feature? Genre playlists

The SB is a beautifuk things and has become even more so with the Controller. Now with the controller at hand, browsing by album is much more used that before. At least for those not using the webinterface but just the ordinairy remote.

Browsing by album with the controller is also going to introduce some new issues;
    1. With children there is a lot of music specialy for the little ones which I don't want popping up in the album browselist.
    2. The same goes for my wifes choice of music.

There have been numerous post about this already (i know).

A new idea to solve this?
    We have playlists ofcourse but isn't it a good idea to have Genre playlists/filters? Meaning the playlist would only consist of the in/exclusion of genres not actual tracks. This way you could create a playlist only including 'child music'. If you have tagged albums with i.e. genre; wife you could easily create playlists including wife and a playlist excluding wife.

Before browsing by album with the controller you could select such a playlist (or is a better name; filter?), then only browsing the genres you like.

Frank
    1xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xDuet, 3xRadio, Synology 412+ NAS, Devialet 120, Audio Physic Tempo 25 speakers

Gadfly, Former Founder Slim Devices dean's Avatar
    Well, you can save a genre as a favorite, so that if you choose to play that favorite, it plays just that genre. There's also Random Mix, which lets you play multiple genres. Is there something more that you'd like to do?

Just another SB Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverRS8 View Post
    The SB is a beautifuk things and has become even more so with the Controller. Now with the controller at hand, browsing by album is much more used that before. At least for those not using the webinterface but just the ordinairy remote.

Browsing by album with the controller is also going to introduce some new issues;
    1. With children there is a lot of music specialy for the little ones which I don't want popping up in the album browselist.
    2. The same goes for my wifes choice of music.

There have been numerous post about this already (i know)...
    Right now, you can accomplish this with Erland's MultipleLibrary and CustomBrowse plug-ins. See the wiki for details. I set them up for my youngest son's room and they worked a treat.

As far as a future enhancement goes, I'd love to see some kind of "filtering" by user, room, genre, or other criteria. I hadn't thought of it as filtering before your post, but that's probably a good way to view it and a simpler solution than true multiple libraries.

-=> Jim
    "well, she wasn't all of that, but she sure was some of that." -- BKlaas' college buddy

Thx Jim,

I'll take a look at the MultiLibrary plugin as it is beginning to bother me more and more. It sound like a solution to my problem (although a bit heavy weight solution).

To come back to my first post; I think on a global level using filters on One single library would be a great solution.

Filter could be based on Genre or Folders (as Child or Wife music can sometimes be just a complete seperate folder tree).

Anyway thx for your tip.
    I hope to see some kind of filter option in the future....

Frank
    1xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xDuet, 3xRadio, Synology 412+ NAS, Devialet 120, Audio Physic Tempo 25 speakers

CustomBrowse can generate filtered artist or album menus, I use them to give my daughter a subset of my library. I just put her name in the comments tag and they appear on her player.

Craig
    MC2Slim - Windows Shell and J River Media Center Integration for Squeezebox.

http://www.duff-zapp.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    CustomBrowse can generate filtered artist or album menus, I use them to give my daughter a subset of my library. I just put her name in the comments tag and they appear on her player.

Craig
    That sounds like a good solution to my problem. Have been looking into CustomBrowse already but maybe you can help me pointing out how you configured CustomBrowse to accomplish the above?

I can't figure out yet how to do it...

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by SilverRS8 View Post
    That sounds like a good solution to my problem. Have been looking into CustomBrowse already but maybe you can help me pointing out how you configured CustomBrowse to accomplish the above?

I can't figure out yet how to do it...

Frank
    Go to Settings | Plugins | Custom Browse
    then select 'Manage Menus' from 'Settings section'
    then click 'Create New Menu'
    then in the list look for the Filtered... items, there's 6 to choose from, I'm sure one will do what you want.

Hope this helps
    Craig
    MC2Slim - Windows Shell and J River Media Center Integration for Squeezebox.

http://www.duff-zapp.co.uk

If you use MusicIP you can also create highly customisable filters which will follow through into Squeezecenter.

So we have filters set up to exclude each others music, filters set up to exclude music from certain decades or genres etc. Then you ask Squeezecenter to create you a MusicIP mix from a certain song, applying the relevant filter.

Downside is you can only apply one filter at a time (and there's no MusicIP support with the Controller as yet, but works fine from the web interface or the SB player interface).

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Go to Settings | Plugins | Custom Browse
    then select 'Manage Menus' from 'Settings section'
    then click 'Create New Menu'
    then in the list look for the Filtered... items, there's 6 to choose from, I'm sure one will do what you want.

Hope this helps
    Craig
    Thx for pointing it out. Its working perfect. Have been looking at this plugin before but never realized the power of it which for me is more usable with the controller than with the SB3 remote. Amazing...

Frank