Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

LCD "patch" issue

It's been quite a while since there was any discussion of the LCD problem that a few of us have noticed on the later Controllers. (To recap: there is a small "patch" of distortion about half way up and 1cm from the right hand side which is noticable when some of the buttons are pressed - most especially the Play button).

I've been fiddling about a bit with my two controllers. It's possible to run a controller with the front plate removed, and in that configuration, the patch does not appear. This suggests that the problem is due to some mechanical interference between the unit and the front plate. So I next swapped the front plates over between the two controllers, but the patch remains on the newer controller, which implies the probem is with the actual workings of the controller rather than there being a difference between the front plates.

I inspected the innards of the two controllers but I couldn't see any differences (apart from the change in what I assume is the WiFi antenna). Specifically, I wondered if perhaps the LCD screen itself might be slightly higher and therefore closer to the window in the front plate, but as far as I can tell with the naked eye, there is no difference here.

I was wondering if anyone else has looked into this any more, and if so whether they've found anything new.
    Transporter -> ATC SCM100A

Given the lack of responses, I guess that there is no news on this subject.

One question remains: did Slim Devices ever get to the bottom of this? Even if it was an isolated problem in one small manufacturing batch, I feel that the cause needs to be understood. It really shouldn't be allowed to happen on a genuine production run: the "patch" would be unacceptable on a $300 retail device.

If Slim Devices haven't been able to replicate the problem, I can send them back my Controller for testing.
    Transporter -> ATC SCM100A

Logitech Squeezebox Software Program Manager

Defect on SB Controller Screen

Can you send it in so we can take a look?

I'll send you a PM to make the arrangements.

Mickey
    Transporter > ClassÚ Audio DR6 > Mark Levinson 23 > Wilson Watt 3/Puppy 1/Martin Logan Dynamo 700