Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829
    Quote Originally Posted by radish View Post
    1. They can help in some cases, actually hinder in others. If it were me, I'd put another AP on the other side of the house and run powerline (or real ethernet if possible) between them. That's what I do for upstairs and downstairs in my house.
    How well does this work for you? Do you have a Controller, and can you connect through both access points without issue?

I thought my range expander essentially acted as a second AP. Maybe not. Mine uses the same SSID as the primary router (it won't let me do otherwise,) which may be causing some of my problems. I'm tempted to junk my router and range expander and replace it with a draft-N with some beefed up antennas. I'm weary of trying to deal with multiple AP's -- is this an unfounded concern?

MrSinatra
    imho, static IPs are much better when it comes to slim stuff.

why they make it so hard to use them if you want to, only they can answer. but in my exp, static IPs work better with my SB2.

Quote Originally Posted by ajkidle View Post
    How well does this work for you? Do you have a Controller, and can you connect through both access points without issue?
    It works fine. I have a number of controllers and other devices connecting through the APs, although I don't try roaming between them (it doesn't work for the SBCs and I don't need to move them around so it doesn't really matter). Devices which do roam (e.g. laptops) have both networks setup and they seem to switch pretty reliably as needed.

I thought my range expander essentially acted as a second AP. Maybe not. Mine uses the same SSID as the primary router (it won't let me do otherwise,) which may be causing some of my problems. I'm tempted to junk my router and range expander and replace it with a draft-N with some beefed up antennas. I'm weary of trying to deal with multiple AP's -- is this an unfounded concern?
    SBC doesn't roam between APs, so that could easily cause confusion. I use different SSIDs so I can at least tell which it's connected to. The other problem with range extenders is that they use wireless for their link to the main AP, so whilst you may be improving SNR you're also killing the available bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by radish View Post
    SBC doesn't roam between APs, so that could easily cause confusion.
    http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6085

I think this is the issue. Also, if you're using the same SSID on both AP's you can go to network settings on the Controller and look at the BSSID, that is unique per AP. This is how I was testing if the Controller was roaming. For me, strangely, it worked! I was using a Linksys router and Linksys range expander. The bug is still open so your mileage may vary.

I would agree that those Ethernet over Power adapters, or whatever they are called, to an access point. It all depends on how well ethernet over power adapters work in your home, but I would guess it must be better than a wireless stand alone repeater.
    Ross L

Posted a new thread about this, but saw this now and would like to add my issue.

Mine has been working all the way until I changed encryption on my wireless router. Every now and then it looses connection and I actually have to reinstall it to make it work.
    First I thought it was when turning off the computer, but it can happen in the middle of a song (playing from HDD, not radio).

I'll try to change the encryption once more to see if it might work better...