Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross L View Post
    Just wanted to post letting everyone know this is a very high priority for us in QA. Thanks everyone for the great details.

Hmm, let's think, it was planned to 7.2.1,
    I just received am message that the roadmap for now (being delayed) is 7.3
    Why?

7.2.1 is due within a week or so, 7.3 isn't but a few weeks behind.
    Ross L

Squeeze controller losing network connection

I am having the same problems with my Squeezebox Controller. It loses network connection quite often.

My old setup was a Linksys WRT54G access point – newest firmware.

My new setup is a DLINK DIR-825 router/AP – hardware A1, firmware 1.00

The controller has been at three different revisions, and is at the newest as of today.

I have tried broadcasting my SSID and not.

I have tried both WEP and WEP2.

I have not tried broadcast w/o encryption.

I think that the controller may be working better w/the DLINK in that I haven’t had it drop out when I’m listening to music and have it with me in the room somewhere. With the Linksys, it would drop every two to 30 minutes. That said, I’ve only used it a couple of times with the new router. However, it still has the problem where it will drop out if it’s in the cradle for sometime between one and two days.

I have an iPhone, two Squeezebox receivers and sometime a laptop in the house that never experience problems.

The Receiver shows a strong signal in the places it drops out.

Having to reboot the Controller often is obviously very frustrating.

It seems that this has been a long running issue. What sort of tests would tech support like me to do to help them figure out how the heck to remedy this situation!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by kingrys View Post
    What sort of tests would tech support like me to do to help them figure out how the heck to remedy this situation!?!?
    You would need to contact tech support to answer this question, the forums are not technical support.

When you say the Controller drops out, do you mean the wireless icon turns blue? If so it sounds like you're seeing the bug 8159. Please share what version of Controller firmware you're using.
    Ross L

Yup, icon turns blue.

Version 7.2 r2873 Aug 22, 2008.

I think I saw elsewhere tonight that there is a new version of Squeezecenter (presumably maybe with controller firmware too). I'll go seek that out and read again the bug link you reference. THanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kingrys View Post
    Yup, icon turns blue.

Version 7.2 r2873 Aug 22, 2008.
    Try updating to 7.2.1 here:

http://www.slimdevices.com/su_downloads.html

Let us know how it goes.
    Ross L

Yup, did that the night I last posted...so far so good. Once when it was out of the cradle it made me wait 30 seconds or so before becoming usable again, but that is far better than waiting and then still having to do a power cycle. Will keep using it and will report back again later. =)

Thanks,
    Shane

Well, so far the problem appears to have been finally mitigated with the last release. =)

Update 11/30/2008 - nope...got the dreaded blue wireless icon twice in the last two days. Guess I'll have to talk to tech support as I never have a single problem with anything else wireless in the house except for the controller. The receivers work flawlessly, as well as other computers, iPhone, etc. Before doing so, I'll poke with setting static address if possible.
    Last edited by kingrys; 2008-11-30 at 23:06.

I debated starting a new thread for this, but I'll stick with this one and try not to add to the clutter.

Two things that are not ready for primetime: wireless networking and the Controller. Maybe that's overstating things a bit, but I'm frustrated. And let me also state that I love my duet. Love. When it's working. When it's not working, it makes me want to hurt someone.

My setup:
    Windows XP running SqueezeCenter 7.2.1 (connected via ethernet to the router)
    Linksys WRTP54G (the Vonage router)
    Linksys WRE54G (wireless range expander)
    Using DHCP and WPA
    1 SBC (7.2 r3191)
    2 SBR's, one is via ethernet to the router, the second is wireless

Everything seems to work (mostly) fine when I'm associate with the router. It's with the second access point (the range expander) that causes things to get flaky. I know the secondary AP is working, and has a reasonably strong connection to my router -- my primary computer connects to the web via the range expander, works fine. But the SBC doesn't see the rest of my network when it is associated with the range expander -- it can't find the XP box running SC and it can't find either of my SBR's. The SBR that I use wirelessly seems to connect fine via the range expander...it's just the controller that has issues.

I'm not 100% certain this is a Squeezebox issue, could be my network setup. But it seems odd to me that other wireless devices work, and it's really only the controller that causes me grief.

So I'm left to wonder:
    1 - Are range expanders a bad way to go? Do they in someway just complicate the network? I'm not impressed with Vonage, maybe it's time for a new router...but I'll need something with strong range to deal with the plaster walls and chimney in the middle of the house. Any suggestions?
    2 - are more network fixes coming for the controller with future software releases?
    3 - would static IP's help? Or would that be a lot of hassle for nothing?

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by ajkidle View Post
    So I'm left to wonder:
    1 - Are range expanders a bad way to go? Do they in someway just complicate the network? I'm not impressed with Vonage, maybe it's time for a new router...but I'll need something with strong range to deal with the plaster walls and chimney in the middle of the house. Any suggestions?
    2 - are more network fixes coming for the controller with future software releases?
    3 - would static IP's help? Or would that be a lot of hassle for nothing?
    1. They can help in some cases, actually hinder in others. If it were me, I'd put another AP on the other side of the house and run powerline (or real ethernet if possible) between them. That's what I do for upstairs and downstairs in my house.

2. Probably!

3. Unlikely to help, but no harm in trying.