Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Squeeze controller losing network connection

Hi,

I have 3 squeezeboxes and recently added a receiver and a controller. All works well - but the controller spontaneously loses network connectivity every few days - it still says it's connected to the wireless network but cannot find the music server or the players. the players themselves and squeezecenter work fine all the time (even while the controller is throwing a flunky) and always have done on the same network - no changes.

Also the controller permanently believes there is a software update.

any ideas?

thanks

Same problem here. My Duet system is terribly flaky. Here are some of the problems:

- The controller frequently decides that it can't get a DHCP lease, so it spontaneously assigns itself a 169.x.x.x address. My home wifi network is pretty good and no other device has this problem.

- If the controller can get a real lease, it often loses connectivity with the SB. Sometimes it blames the SB, saying that the SB can't connect to the SC server. However, that's false; not only is the SB connected by wired Ethernet to the SC, but I can fire up SC from a web browser and happily control the SB from it, at the very same moment that the controller insists that the SB can't communicate with the SC.

- Like yours, my controller always thinks it needs a software update. Unfortunately, it is rarely able to get past the "Copying Update" phase. Most of the time it just hangs there (sometimes displaying the "Try Again..." option faintly in the background), sometimes it starts displaying the x% indicator that advances a percentage point every few seconds, but it almost never reaches 100%, and even if it does, it's a Sisyphean victory, because after the update it still thinks it needs an update.

- Menu operations randomly hang or come up blank.

- Browsing the library is sometimes quite quick but often astonishingly slow, as in minutes before the next screen appears.

- Extra data point: the controller frequently says that it's dropped down to a 2MB or 1MB transfer rate on the 802.11g connection, even when I've placed the controller right next to my AP.

- Extra data point: if I ping the wired SB, travel time is sub-millisecond. But the controller's ping times are spiky, often in the high hundreds of milliseconds.

- Extra data point: ssh'ing to the controller sometimes takes many minutes (or forever) to negotiate the SSH handshake.

My diagnosis is that the remote has trouble with wireless. I don't know whether this is a design defect, a sample defect, or a fixable software problem. I'd consider doing an A/B test at someone else's house to see whether it's a problem with my network, but to be honest I bought this system as a consumer electronics purchase. I didn't intend for it to turn into an exciting hobby; I just wanted a turnkey system that would let me listen to music in different rooms in my house.

Dies the controller constantly prompt you to update the firmware or do you navigate to settings - advanced - software update?
    If it's the latter you can safely ignore the message that new software is available.
    If there is indeed new firmware available the controller will prompt you to update. There's no need to go to the software update section unless you want to reinstall the current firmware.

-s.

Quote Originally Posted by slimpy View Post
    Dies the controller constantly prompt you to update the firmware or do you navigate to settings - advanced - software update?
    Yes, it's the latter; it doesn't interrupt me.

Quote Originally Posted by tomlillie View Post
    Hi,

I have 3 squeezeboxes and recently added a receiver and a controller. All works well - but the controller spontaneously loses network connectivity every few days - it still says it's connected to the wireless network but cannot find the music server or the players. the players themselves and squeezecenter work fine all the time (even while the controller is throwing a flunky) and always have done on the same network - no changes.

Also the controller permanently believes there is a software update.

any ideas?

thanks
    Is the controller the only wireless device? It sounds a little like it is unable to renew the DHCP lease. This could be because of interference.

no, there are other wireless devices - there are 3 squeezeboxes and 1 receiver as well as the controller. but they are all fine - they do not hangup (it's just happened again today). they manage to renew thier DHCP leases without nproblem (and always have). so that makes me suspicious of the controller, not the network.
    even when the controller is hung uo - the squeezeboxes are still working and connecting to squeezecentre

I think i have a very similar issue. I have noticed that the Duet works perfectly well when i connect to SqueezeNetwork, but if i select my local NAS as the source the controller displays "Problem Connecting", "Couldn't connect your Squeezebox to your wireless network ..... (Lost Squeezebox)", however when i login to SC7 i can connect to the SB and play my music without any problems.
    Having failed to connect it will not reconnect to SqueezeNetwork until i press the button on the front of the receiver (flashes red). It's repeatable everytime.
    Last edited by cmblissett; 2008-03-27 at 02:37.

Same Problem here

I am having the same issue and figured it was due to poor signal strength which is lower than it should be.

SBC acting flaky

Guys,

I was having all of the same problems you guys were with my SBC showing the same symptoms.

I did absolutely EVERYTHING to try to debug the problem.

Laptop was connecting fine to the internet through wireless.

SBR was connecting fine through wireless and could be controlled flawlessly through Squeezecenter.

Everything was pointing AWAY from my wireless router being the issue.

Turns out the problem was indeed my wireless router. I changed out my wireless router with a new Belkin F5D unit ($40 at Best Buy) and all of my problems went away. The SBC works flawlessly now.

For reference my old router was a refurb from Tiger Direct. A Linksys WRT54GX2.

I dont have any idea whether the issue is actually the fault of the SBC or the router itself, but my stuff is working now and it was WELL worth the $40 to get this thing working.

Jim

fjdebrick

Glad to see others with my problem - the controller can't find the home wireless network despite the fact that other computers find it, and it previously worked fine. I even put a laptop next to the unit to check the network strength and it connected fine. The squeezecenter will connect and play my music, so obviously the network reaches OK. I hate the thought that I have to buy a new router, suggested by one of you, but that may be the way out of this mess. Are there any other solutions anybody has found? I'd appreciate any other suggestions first.
    Last edited by fjdebrick; 2008-03-30 at 16:39.