Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pandora vs. Slacker

I've been a Pandora subscriber for about a year. I've just started using Slacker (the free version), which seems to me a lot better. Pandora plays artists that SOUND LIKE the artists you've picked and it seems to have a very limited library since some songs repeat over and over. Slacker plays JUST the artists you've picked and so far to me the library sounds quite deep.

Anyone else have a preference? What does the paid version of Slacker get you over the free version?

I subscribe to both and I find myself using Slacker more often. Pandora can sometimes go off in strange directions.

The main reason I subscribed to Slacker was to have unlimited skips, which is another advantage over Pandora.
    Dave
    Squeezeboxes: 3 (a.k.a. Classic), Duet, Boom

Pandora vs. Slacker

> I've been a Pandora subscriber for about a year. I've just started
    > using Slacker (the free version), which seems to me a lot better.
    > Pandora plays artists that SOUND LIKE the artists you've picked and it
    > seems to have a very limited library since some songs repeat over and
    > over. Slacker plays JUST the artists you've picked and so far to me
    > the library sounds quite deep.

That's interesting... while I totally agree on the way songs are combined, I consider the "sounds like" approach much more interesting. The chance to discover new artists imho is better, whereas the risk to get some "surprising" mixes, just because Tony Levin did work not only with Peter Gabriel, but King Crimson, Sarah MacLachlan and Alice Cooper too, is much smaller :-).

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Herger View Post
    That's interesting... while I totally agree on the way songs are combined, I consider the "sounds like" approach much more interesting. The chance to discover new artists imho is better, whereas the risk to get some "surprising" mixes, just because Tony Levin did work not only with Peter Gabriel, but King Crimson, Sarah MacLachlan and Alice Cooper too, is much smaller :-).
    Don't forget Black Light Syndrome.

Amazing stuff... improv.

Well, if you want the best of all worlds, based upon my own experiences, you only have to subscribe to ONE service: Rhapsody.

Rhapsody does "sounds like" stations just like the other two do. Just pick an artist, and Rhapsody will design a radio station for you based upon that artist.

In addition to artist radio stations, you get channels, genres and playlists.

Finally, if you know what you want, you can play an individual song or an individual album as much as you want.

So you can listen to what you know or discover new music, the choice is yours. It is the most flexible service available with the most choices.

And the cost of Rhapsody is the same as subcribing to pandora plus slacker, but you get tons more with Rhapsody.

Just be a little flexible with Rhapsody because its services are so deep it takes a little while to learn it. Its not so obvious what you can get out of it by a quick glance at the rhapsody home web page or the rhapsody software. You have to use it for awhile to really appreciate its depth.

And the squeezenetwork gives you even more rhapsody than rhapsody itself gives. I can play "top tracks" of artists using squeezenetwork's version of rhapsody which I can't find using the rhapsody service itself.
    Last edited by mortslim; 2008-03-12 at 12:03.

Now you're just rubbing it in for us Europeans.
    there is a lofty lonely lohengrinic castle

Maybe I'm lame but I don't see how to create an artist-specific channel in Rhapsody. On the channels page all I see is a list of pre-defined channels.
    Last edited by vdonovan; 2008-03-12 at 23:09.

That's why I said that Rhapsody has depth. You won't see all of its features from just one screen. It requires some exploring.

Regarding artist stations, first search for the artist. Then you will see a whole world of possibilities, including artist stations.

Thanks again for the tip. Rhapsody artist channels look interesting but are not as versatile as Slacker. In Rhapsody, you name the artist and it points you to pre-defined channels that play that artist.

In Slacker (and Pandora) you define the artists that will play on your channel. If I pick the Rolling Stones, I will hear them and related bands. But I can also pick the Rolling Stones and Sly and The Family Stone, which will give me classic rock AND classic funk, should I want such a thing. Adding in the Stone Roses (or the Stone Ponies) will give the channel an 80's college slant. (I'm liking this channel already). Then I can name the channel "Stoned Music", save it, and add it to my favorites.

Actually your description is not correct.

Remember what I said: Rhapsody is deep. You need to explore it to discover all its possibilities.

Regarding your example, in Rhapsody you get your own library that you can populate with any artists or or songs or albums you want. Then you can make your own playlist and shuffle play based upon this library. So you can control exactly what you hear.

Remember, the choice is yours with Rhapsody. There are no limits.

You want music you know? You got it.
    You want to discover new music? You got it.
    You want to make your own playlist? You got it.
    You want Rhapsody to make a playlist for you? You got it.

Got it?