Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Gapless When Synced ?

Hi im given to understand that this cannot be done on the current setup is that correct ?

This isn't a total deal breaker for me right now but it would be nice to know that there are plans afoot to change it and if possible some insight into why it cant be done , how much change is needed to correct it and a vague time frame .

Sorry if im asking alot but it would help in my SB vs Sonos dilemmas

Thanks

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by flipside View Post
    Hi im given to understand that this cannot be done on the current setup is that correct ?
    Correct.

This isn't a total deal breaker for me right now but it would be nice to know that there are plans afoot to change it and if possible some insight into why it cant be done , how much change is needed to correct it and a vague time frame .
    The sync mechanism was recently overhauled but alas gapless wasn't added at that point. From what I've read it's considered a pretty big task but it is something which has been discussed in the past and a number of people (myself included) would very much like it to be done.

The technical issue used to be that the track breaks were used to resync players which had drifted during playback, hence they all had to stop and resync. However the new model resyncs during playback, so I'm not sure why the gap is still there to be honest.

Thanks i guess as the sync engine has been re written and its still not implemented it must be quite a problem, heres hoping for the future.

What I don't understand is why it actually manages to screw up the synching as well as the gaplessness. At least, this has been my recent experience with Mike Oldfield albums...

Quote Originally Posted by gorman View Post
    What I don't understand is why it actually manages to screw up the synching as well as the gaplessness. At least, this has been my recent experience with Mike Oldfield albums...
    Gaplessness. That's a state I aspire to.

Quote Originally Posted by radish View Post
    The technical issue used to be that the track breaks were used to resync players which had drifted during playback, hence they all had to stop and resync. However the new model resyncs during playback, so I'm not sure why the gap is still there to be honest.
    The problem is that the assumption of track breaks when synced is embedded in a 100 different places (I exaggerate only a little) throughout the code. I hope to add gapless sync as part of a rearchitecture of the complete play-control part of the server but this is a major piece of work and some way off.

Does crossfade work when synced? As far as the "annoyance" factor goes, I think a very short crossfade is much preferable to even the tiniest gap...

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    The problem is that the assumption of track breaks when synced is embedded in a 100 different places (I exaggerate only a little) throughout the code.
    Ahh gotcha. Thanks for the explanation, and my sympathy - I've had my fair share of similar situations!