Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sand
    • Jan 2007

SqueezeCenter 7 on QNAP

Many users are now running SC7 on their QNAP's, thank's to the great support of this comunity!
    Also, it now looks as if QNAP themselves will be providing SC7 as a part of the standard firmware install:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Added 080910 http://oinkzwurgl.org/ssods_ts
    Link to fliplips main SSODS/SSOTS page.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Added 080519 http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpo...&postcount=332
    smarcos install instructions:

Added 08051 http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?...sd=a&start=195
    and http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...110#post301110
    "QNAPAndy:
    Guy, you won the battle. We've just confirmed that QNAP will make Squeeze Center 7 pre-installed in the standard firmware in our
    next release in a week or two, stay tuned. (Note, that users who don't need this feature has an option to uninstall it
    as well)
    More goodies...
    AlienBBC will be included as well, however it's still experimental and will not run as smooth in TS-109/209 than in TS-409
    (provided the FPU support)
    Also, we will implement mr_hyde's 'Adding an USB memeory stick for swap memeory to prevent hard disk waking up issue from
    standby. Thanks man!
    "

EDIT 080506:
    User Menno added install instructions for the TS-109 in this post: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpo...&postcount=337

SSODS on TurboStations (thank's to flipflip!):

QNAP Forum "normal Slimserver support [SqueezeCenter7 is up for testin!]" (go there, register and vote for SC support from QNAP:

Feel free to PM me if you have a link/message that belongs here
    Thank's

Last edited by sand; 2008-09-10, 08:35. Reason: As suggested by Menno
    2* Squeezebox 3
    1* SB Duet
    1* SB Radio
    1 * ReadyNAS Pro
  • simonjedrake
    • Apr 2006

Qnap themselves have a project underway to provide a Qnap Version of SC7
    You can follow their progress on the below qnap forum.

The more of us that post requests for SC7 the better.

simon

Comment

• sand
      • Jan 2007

Thank's, I've already posted there..
      2* Squeezebox 3
      1* SB Duet
      1* SB Radio
      1 * ReadyNAS Pro

Comment

• flipflip
        • Apr 2006

Isn't this "ProgressiveAV" package just a Debian chroot? If so, you'd "just" have to get "inside" and update it using standard Debian tools (apt-get update; apt-get upgrade)..

But I don't know the Qnap boxes (yet).. it might be a bit more complicated..

Comment

• mr_hyde
          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by flipflip
          Isn't this "ProgressiveAV" package just a Debian chroot? If so, you'd "just" have to get "inside" and update it using standard Debian tools (apt-get update; apt-get upgrade)..

But I don't know the Qnap boxes (yet).. it might be a bit more complicated..
          Hi flip,

i don't think that apt-get works with the actual config. It seems to me that one could use the .tar.gz and had to modify the install script that is available for the 6.5.4 update. Then also the startupscript had to be modified and probably some missing perl modules had to be build (which should be possible since gcc works fine). Up to now i have not tried since my system works quite stable and i have not the time to reinstall everything ic some case ....

Nevertheless i've tried some things with apt-get and USBswap, since this port is not as comfortable as yours for Synology. The swap function works reliable and actually i am working on a tool which allows you to configure it via ssh, but with the dialog tool. So it is not as comfortable as via web interface, but still ok.

Another thing: how did you managed to compile lame for the DS107+ ... since these devices seems to have the same processor without FPU. I am able to compile lame, but than it has the same functionality as the progressive lame which means that it is not able to encode streams. I have not find a switch to compile it for fixed point (the same is true for mplayer: rstp works (fixed point patch), but wma not).
          2 x Squeezebox 3 - 1 x Squeezebox Touch - Squeezecenter 7.9.1 / MusicIP in Container station - QNAP TS453A - 4 x 3 TB Hitachi (RAID5)

Comment

• flipflip
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by mr_hyde
            i don't think that apt-get works with the actual config.
            Did you try? If it's really a complete chroot, it should work.

Another thing: how did you managed to compile lame for the DS107+ ... since these devices seems to have the same processor without FPU.
            I didn't do anything special. I guess, it'll either use fixed point code or it uses FP emulation. I don't know.. ELDK's toolchain seems to be very well chosen/configured so that things usually just work (configure && make && make install). See http://oinkzwurgl.org/ssods_eldk_compilation for a few details on how I compiled different components. There are no notes regarding lame, so it probably just worked.

And, AFAIK, the Marvell CPU do have a FPU. Or sort of. However, I never managed to compile anything to use it. I think that my programmes all use emulation. Perhaps that's why SSODS is a bit slower on the Marvell than on the ppc (e.g. generating thumbnails for Squeezecenter is faster on a CS-406 than on a DS-107+).

flip

Comment

• flipflip
              • Apr 2006

You might be interested in this:

flip ;-)

Comment

• rich.simpson
                • Mar 2008

Up and running on TS-109

Thanks flipflip - up and running for me with no problems with your instructions other than having to re-add the .gz at the end of the SC7 perl download filename (I used IE7 which i think sometimes strips it off)

I haven't fully tested everything yet but all the basics certainly work ok. It runs on port 9000 - so anyone with Twonky running (not me) should watch out for that as it also uses that port on Qnap. ( the progreesive 6.5.x was on 9001 for this reason)

My only issue is I have tried and failed to add the AlienBBC v2 plugin - It picks it up as installed on the plugins tab of the web interface - but the SB's dont see it and 'settings' on the web interface says "404 Not Found: settings/plugins/Alien/settings/basic.html"

If anyone has any ideas on that it would be much appreciated.

Once again thanks for your work on this - great job.

Rich

Comment

• flipflip
                  • Apr 2006

There's a new version which should fix a couple of issues found so far (port 9001, not there anymore after reboot, ...).

Regarding AlienBBC. I don't know... it should work (if installed correctly..). Are the files there, i.e. /volume1/SqueezeCenter/.../Plugins/.../settings/plugins/Alien/settings/basic.html"
                  ? Did you follow the special instructions in ssods.pdf and/or here in the forum for AlienBBC (or in general mplayer) on SSODS (look for mplayer-stdout)?

Mr_Hyde has successfully tested a few Plugins. I don't know which. Maybe he can help.
                  Last edited by flipflip; 2008-03-19, 01:38.

Comment

• rich.simpson
                    • Mar 2008

AlienBBC

flipfip - Thanks for the pointer - i now have the plugin displaying - I was fooled by the fact there is no Plugins directory in the SqueezeCenter folder but there is a Plugin folder in the Slim folder - I put it in there which I now find is only for distributed plugins - Once the proper location is created and used :-) it works ok interface wise but..

- Sadly with this obstacle overcome Theres still no Audio from it so now onto your pdf about the mplayer conversion rules - sadly have to go to work now so will have to play with that later.

btw: is it necessary to uninstall completely before upgrading beta6 to your beta7? Theres an upgrade option in the SSODS pages but that implies its only for SC perl source upgrades?

Thanks
                    Rich

Comment

• flipflip
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by rich.simpson
                      btw: is it necessary to uninstall completely before upgrading beta6 to your beta7? Theres an upgrade option in the SSODS pages but that implies its only for SC perl source upgrades?
                      It should be save to just install beta7 over beta6. If it fails, you can still remove beta6 and then install beta7 again.

Btw, you don't need to remove the SqueezeCenter folder (my installation/uninstallation script will not touch this anyway). Hence, you don't loose any settings or the database if you uninstall SSODS.

Comment

• flipflip
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by smarco
                        I like your instruction, clearer than QnapAndy's, which is also based on your codes. I'm not sure if Qnap's version eventually comes out to be more conflict-free after cross-compiling. Anyway, Qnap's current alpha version looks like one for arm-based models.

I have TS-201. flipflip, do you think [ssods-3.0beta7-ppc.zip (60 MB)] works for Ts-101/TS-201?
                        I'm still thinking of the meaning of "maybe" in your instruction.

- maybe for older PPC based models.-------maybe... maybe...
                        Well, I think: maybe. You'll have to try. Or wait for somebody else to try. I cannot. Don't have one of these boxes.

Actually, I think that not much can go wrong with trying. However, my advice of having a backup before installing SSODS is still valid and absolutely recommended. But, of course, it's up to you..

BTW: SSODS-->SSOTS is possible with the kind help of QNAPAndy and Mr_Hyde. It wasn't actually very complicated since the DS and TS hardware are nearly identical (probably both based on reference designs by Marvell and Freescale).

Comment

• holkoz
                          • Mar 2008

What is the performance of SqueezeCenter 7 on QNAP, is it the same as the old 6.5.4 version? Does it have the same bugs as the progressive package, volume control, sleep timer etc?

Comment

• lucas72
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by holkoz
                            What is the performance of SqueezeCenter 7 on QNAP, is it the same as the old 6.5.4 version? Does it have the same bugs as the progressive package, volume control, sleep timer etc?
                            I think it's too early to have an idea of bugs and/or performance since this a very new thing for QNAP's boxes (and a very few installations has been done by us as customers so far, indeed). I think a better understanding there will be as soon as a final stable release of SC7 will be released.
                            Last edited by lucas72; 2008-03-19, 17:01.
                            QNAP Club Italy
                            -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            "When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night, he checks his closet for Chuck Norris."

Comment

• rich.simpson
                              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by holkoz
                              Ive tested volume control - I had this issue with 6.5.4, and it now works fine in 7. - Not yet tested the sleep timer\fade out bug yet... early days and the annoying interruption of work keeps cropping up. I'll post updates when I've had time to test. (with TS-109 and 3 SB3's + a softsqueeze PC)

I can say the player sync is much much much better though, perfect in fact for the time that Ive had to test with it so far - even on internet streams.

R

Comment

Working...