Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by peejay View Post
    I'm interested in understanding what people who have been around through the revolution of (digital) media technology have to say about what they thought then and what they think now,...
    Then I though 'world is moving forward in a good direction', and I still believe that is the case today.

I don't agree with most that have been said in this thread, for one simple reason - music is a product of human inner urge to express itself therough the creation of something. We are simply geneticaly programmed to make it. It has been around for what ... 15.000 years or so. It has nothing to do with the current level of technology. It won't die just because somebody doesn't like the s/n ratio or bit depth or somebody doesn't pay for the download or whatever. There will inevitably be some pull backs along the road (like when people who make 1 CD in their life and none good are called 'artist'), but generally, I'm not a bit concerned about it.

Media is technology dependent, music is not. If you think that format can influence the impact that artistic creation has on our souls ... well check the first link in my signature.
    K

Talking slimkid,

Quote Originally Posted by slimkid View Post
    If you think that format can influence the impact that artistic creation has on our souls ... well check the first link in my signature.
    K
    Caruso is Caruso. He would move your even as 64kbps mp3
    Last edited by gbruzzo; 2008-02-16 at 03:29.

One of the things the Squeezebox has made me realize is that the future of digital music is metadata.

Assuming I can get FLAC files from download sites, I still want a CD for the liner notes, cover art, etc. If there was a convenient format for the art, lyrics, notes, and well-tagged song files so I can build my database the way I'd want, I'd be all over digital distribution. I guess iTunes does a little of this, but not enough. I still want to buy my music in album-sized chunks--call me old-fashioned, but there's something about the intentionality of 45-60 minutes of music I enjoy.

I feel a bit like an idiot when I get a CD from Amazon, and the first thing I do is dump the jewel case, put the disc in my server to rip to Squeezecenter, put the CD art and disc in a Jazzloft sleeve, and then use flac2mp3.pl to copy the FLAC to my Archos. If I could do it all digitally, I would in a second.

I like the idea of flash cards for storage. This is already a (welcome) trend in car audio - there are several new car receivers which feature an SD card slot and no CD player. Some also have USB ports.

There's a lot to like about this idea - no moving parts! No skipping and nothing to wear out. Even using a decent-sounding bitrate the cards hold 100-200 songs per GB. And cards get larger and cheaper every year. They're also reusable (not that I cry if a CD-R wears out).

Sure it'd be great to have a 250 GB hard drive in your dash, but I could live with this postage-stamp sized sneakernet solution.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasy View Post
    One of the things the Squeezebox has made me realize is that the future of digital music is metadata.
    The tags are as important as the medium, yes (MusicBrainz is quite awesome, when it tags by waveform..) Can't have music in a file without the tags, it doesn't work anymore (because of the way we play it!)

The jewel case, the booklet etc (other than the simple 150.150 pixel thumbnail) is more an extra service - I would like to be offered an alternative when downloading (do you want 160 kbps mp3? pay this much. Do you want Flac compressed 5 with a lot of artwork, pay this much a.s.o)

I believe we now have
    1) CD
    2) SACD
    3) DVD-Audio
    4) new vynil
    4) A myriad different file formats (lossy and lossless)

The first four (less so 1) cover a very small share of the market, but because large companies cannot steer consumers as they did before the long tail will survive much longer - it will actually thicken if anything. I think we should look forward to a future with more variety.

The SlimDevices approach is very suited for the events to come, may I add...

Regards,

Giacomo

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Blue Ego View Post
    I like the idea of flash cards for storage. This is already a (welcome) trend in car audio - there are several new car receivers which feature an SD card slot and no CD player. Some also have USB ports.

There's a lot to like about this idea - no moving parts! No skipping and nothing to wear out. Even using a decent-sounding bitrate the cards hold 100-200 songs per GB. And cards get larger and cheaper every year. They're also reusable (not that I cry if a CD-R wears out).

Sure it'd be great to have a 250 GB hard drive in your dash, but I could live with this postage-stamp sized sneakernet solution.
    I agree - This is a good development. Recent VW have 30 gb harddrives in the dashboard. This can only be good! I would love the onboard players to be able to play flac, but most of them are not...

Quote Originally Posted by gbruzzo View Post
    I agree - This is a good development. Recent VW have 30 gb harddrives in the dashboard. This can only be good! I would love the onboard players to be able to play flac, but most of them are not...
    320 kbps mp3 is probably good enough for most car environments. On the other hand, my Dad just bought an Acura that handles DVD-A and DTS surround. It sounds fantastic, very clean and tight. But that's in a very quiet vehicle, with thick window glass and triple seals on the doors. So, as cars get quieter, FLAC would be nice, and I think we'll get there eventually.

With high-quality FLAC files being sold now, and an increasing demand for FLAC support in hardware, I can see a not-too-distant future where it's impossible to sell a music player that doesn't support FLAC. Are you listening, Apple?

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Blue Ego View Post
    Are you listening, Apple?
    Not a chance. They will only listen if they can put a biblical spin on it...

Media seems to be evolving from a one-to-one distribution channel (buy one CD, to be enjoyed by one owner) to a one-to-many form of distribution (the digital form of music resides in a datacentre, and subscribers - or whatever business model behind it) can access that music.

If you step back and think about it: a monthly subscription giving you access to everything (and therefore covering the cost of everything)... Buying a CD in the store should also cover the cost of the ones that are not sold... do the math and explain to me the added value of the distribution channel of CD stores (considering increasing bandwidth to allow lossless streaming over the net, and metadata to have the cover, lyrics, etc at your fingertips - like in the Squeezebox remote?)

I've read this thread with a great deal of interest.

I am still in the camp of not buying into the current digital distribution methods - it may be good value for money for some, personally I think it falls short on a number of aspects.

The obvious aspects have been covered in many forum posts - cost, bitrate and loss of physical media (including sleeves etc..)

You also lose the joy of discovering a new band. With the digital distribution models being so convenient, you could listen to a million new bands, and write them off in the click of a mouse. When you buy a CD of a new band from a shop - you have a vested interest to give it a fair try - sure it could still be crap, but you are more likely to persist and actually find a gem you would have otherwise missed.

Perhaps online shops and digital distribution models should incorporate acoustic fingerprinting to try and identify similar music - or even music that doesn't have certain defined characteristics. With the volume of music available online, this could act as a "crap" filter to help you discover the otherwise lost gem bands.

Many places sort of do this with the "other people who bought this CD also bought..." links. The technology exists to extend this - might be interesting.

Cheers,
    Ben