Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost connection

Lost connection

I received my squeezebox duet today and after a few teething problems with the power supply I finally got it connected to my home network. Problem is every time I turn the laptop off it loses the the link between the Remote and the controller and I have to go through the set up process all over again. This is only on this part, my home network is still there, I have updated the software. The same thing happens if I log off and my wife logs on to her account, even though all our music is saved on a partition on the drive.

Any ideas if it is something I am not doing right?

Thanks

Paul

I'm not sure from you description about the controller and the remote quite what you mean as they are both the same thing.

I am going to assume that what happens is when you log out or shut down your laptop then the controller (the remote) is no longer able to see the receiver (thing plugged into amp/speakers) and you cannot play music.

I'd guess that you are running the SqueezeCentre software on your laptop. The Controller cannot talk directly to the receiver it talks to the SqueezeCentre and asks it to tell the receiver what you want it to do. Therefore if you shut down the SqueezeCentre then the link between the controller and receiver is missing.

As SqueezeCentre installs it is configured to run when you log into your account. When you log out it stops running. This is why when you log out you again lose the connection.

To resolve this you will need to leave the laptop running when ever you want to listen to music. Many people configure a redundant PC to act as an independant server. You will also have to get the SqueezeCentre to run whether you are logged in or not. If you look in the squeezecentre menu you should see an item which from memory is called SqueezeCentre configuration. If you run that it will give you the option to run SqueezeCentre as a service. This means that it starts when the laptop starts and runs irrespective of anyone logged in. You have the option to give it a username and password. If you don't it may not have access to your music folder dependent upon how it is configured. You may need to give it either the administrator account and password or your own.

Thanks for that, got everything sweet, next thing are there any user manuals? My wife has a playlist set up wjich we can see on the remote..is there a way of skipping tracks quickly or do you have to use the scroll wheel?

Cheers

Paul

Take a look at the Wiki at the top of the page there is a lot of information there about the system.

I believe that the controller will do what a normal remote does so pushing the >> button (fairly) quickly once will step to the next song and << will go back (I can't remember if it goes to start or previous song). Holding either << or >> down will fast back or forward through the track if it is a format that can be skipped through. Not all track file formats can be fast forwarded/reversed.

I'm back to square one again. I'll try and explain the problem. All of the music sits on a separate partitioned drive on a laptop. That feeds Itunes and subsequently squeeze centre. The laptop reads off our wireless home network without any problems. The controller finds our home wireless network without any problems. I have to keep rebooting the receiver in order for the the controller to pick it up. It constantly fails to find the Laptop that has all of our music on once it has found the receiver, despite having the squeeze centre running. Not wildely impressed at the moment, seems an awful lot of grief to listen to music

It is dissappointing when something isn't quite as you want it isn't it. I can assure you that many people have no problem with their setups although that may not be much comfort when you have a problem. It is worth it to see it through though.

Unfortunately although it seems simple there are many variables which can upset things with wireless and home networks. We'll all try and help you though and you can also call/email support for more direct assistance.

When the receiver isn't able to see the laptop is the receiver showing a blue light? This indicates that the receiver would appear to be connected to the network but that it is unable to see the SqueezeCentre. If it is another colour then it may have a problem connecting to the wireless network.

We need to diagnose the problem and this can sometimes take time whilst things are isolated.

I believe from what you have said that you have a wireless router with your internet connection. Your laptop, receiver and controller all connect wirelessly. Now that your SqueezeCentre is running all the time the controller is happy and remains connected to SqueezeCenter. It is just the receiver that goes missing.

When the receiver is connected. It would be worth checking it's signal strength. In the SqueezeCentre web page go to settings and then status. Under the info for your receiver it will tell you it's signal strength.

Reading your message again though it may be that your controller is also having a problem. The way in which you describe it suggests that the receiver may have a red light on it is this correct?

I went back to factory settings and started again, everything seems okay now, one question though, any idea why some songs break up. Its a bit hit and miss, I checked my signal strength and that is 49

One reason for a pause like that would be if your laptop was suddenly busy doing something else such that it couldn't keep up with streaming to the receiver. Downloading mail and it going through the virus scanner for example can put quite a load on some laptops.

Momentary wireless problems don't usually cause that but more sustained interference might. Quite a lot of things operate in the 2.4GHz band. Proximity to one of those which suddenly starts broadcasting can also disrupt things for a short while.

They can be quite difficult to track down. Wireless hops can be temporarily bypassed by connecting an ethernet cable. As you have two hops you are more susceptable to wireless problems.

IMHO you really need the server PC wired to the router or the SB wired to the router - two hops is a hop too far for many people
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.