Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

iPeng plugin developer's docs

On
    http://penguinlovesmusic.de/?page_id=66
    there's an updated documentation on how to adapt plugins to work with iPeng.
    From v0.3 on iPeng has support for specific layout features, like vertical alphabet pagebars and the playlist control.

If you got more questions or are interested in adapting plugins contact me at coolio at penguinlovesmusic.com
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Which plugins are iPeng safe?

Hi there,

Anyone who knows which plugins that can be used with iPeng?

Also - is there any support for mixing with MusicIP directly form iPeng? That would be very cool...but I haven't found any info reg. this yet :-(

/Sune

P.S. I bought an iPod Touch after having tried out iPeng on my Mac. It's good stuff - just the remote I need for my SqueezeBOx :-D Thanks for making this happen!

Quote Originally Posted by Sune View Post
    Hi there,

Also - is there any support for mixing with MusicIP directly form iPeng? That would be very cool...but I haven't found any info reg. this yet :-(

/Sune

P.S. I bought an iPod Touch after having tried out iPeng on my Mac. It's good stuff - just the remote I need for my SqueezeBOx :-D Thanks for making this happen!
    Sune,

currently there's the ones that I support myself - not a lot and only standard stuff - Internet Radios, New Music, a half-bred Favorites support and of course there's Erland's stuff, which is available as beta. Trackstat works quite well (iPeng also has some native support for that on Now Playing), CustomBrowse and SqlPlaylists.
    Mixers: I don't have any in iPeng myself, Custom browse has some. I have to admit that I focus a bit on stuff that I use myself unless somebody comes and asks for other stuff.
    So now it's your turn: What do you expect iPeng to do? I know MusicIP Playlists show up under playlists. What else do you need and what is the behavior that you expect. Then I will see what I can think up.
    One thing I have to warn you of: I generally prioritize usability and good looks higher than functionality - I believe you have to on a mobile device and I think it's what makes the charm of iPeng - so ideas like "add two more buttons on each row for ..." have a notoriously hard time with me ;-)
    But you'll find me pretty responsive for good ideas ...
    So: thanks in advance for any input.

Joerg
    (who's in for a long night of trying to get SqueezeScrobbler to work)
    ---
    at penguinlovesmusic.com

Every plugin which user interface you don't need to access from iPeng works of course.

Besides this I know that at least the following is available as beta versions:
    - TrackStat (Browsing statistics and set ratings but no configuration)
    - Custom Browse (Browsing library but no configuration)
    - Dynamic Playlist (Browsing and playing dynamic playlists but no configuration)

This also results in that functionality in the following plugins works:
    - SQL Playlist (No playlist creation but created playlists can be browsed and played through Dynamic Playlist)
    - Custom Scan (No cofiguration, but scanned data can be accessed from SQL Playlist and Custom Browse)
    - Multi Library (No configuration, but configured libraries can be browsed through Custom Browse)

I think it should work from menus provided by Custom Browse, but I don't think mixing is available from the standard SqueezeCenter browse menus at the moment.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Developer of many plugins/applets

Most desired functionality: MusicIP

Functionality dreams:

#1 - MusicIP
    ============
    One of the really cool things about the 'box is the ability to Mix "on the fly". Now, just getting MusicIP to work is P-in-the-A, but I've got it working by starting up MusicIP in good time before the squeezecenter.

Now, when it's running, then I can search for a song or artist on my SB using the standard remote, and then keep play pressed. Then it makes a cool playlist, defined by my settings.

This works for version 7 as well.

Right now I cannot seem to make this work in iPeng.

In the standard skins, there is a "M" icon next to the track name. If I press this M, then I get a mix. A similar functionality would be cool in iPeng.

#2 - Music Streaming
    ====================
    It would be cool if I could actually stream the SqueezeServer music to my iPod Touch.

#3 - Player syncing
    ===================
    It seems that Player Sync has been supported at some time with iPeng. Alas, here it just shows up with a fixed player. This is a shame - it would be good to sync all my softplayers with my 'box :-)

#4 - iTunes rating
    ==================
    I use smartlists for a lot of things. If I could rate the currently playing music from the "now playing" window on my pod, that would be great. Does any of the currently compatible plugins allow this? I normally use iTunes Update from my 'box remote.

#5 - Default behaviour: Show "Now Playing"
    ==========================================
    It would be great if there was a URL I could ...hey, this works, it seems :-) Just changed my iPeng bookmark :-)

There's many more small things, but I understand your interface concern. I'll come back with more input when I've thought it over.

Sune

In the standard skins, there is a "M" icon next to the track name. If I press this M, then I get a mix. A similar functionality would be cool in iPeng.
    You can do it through the Custom Browse menus if you install the Custom Browse plugin.

#4 - iTunes rating
    ==================
    I use smartlists for a lot of things. If I could rate the currently playing music from the "now playing" window on my pod, that would be great. Does any of the currently compatible plugins allow this? I normally use iTunes Update from my 'box remote.
    If you install both TrackStat and iTunes Update I think you will be able to do this. I think iTunes Update will detect the ratings set through TrackStat in the iPeng skin.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Developer of many plugins/applets

Functionality dreams:
    My current position to this is, like Erland's, that you could use CustomBrowse for this. I like the idea of having a default behavior and being able to add features like this that represent a trade off (takes up space) through this plugin.
    It works quite well right now and has more or less the same basic display features as the "native" iPeng menus plus the customizations
    #2 - Music Streaming
    ====================
    It would be cool if I could actually stream the SqueezeServer music to my iPod Touch.
    Oh yes, sigh...
    But I#m working on this and I think I might have a solution at hand soon.
    #3 - Player syncing
    ===================
    It seems that Player Sync has been supported at some time with iPeng. Alas, here it just shows up with a fixed player. This is a shame - it would be good to sync all my softplayers with my 'box :-)
    Actually, I don't understand this issue. You can sync players on the main menu is more than one is connected to the server. It should work with SBs, SoftSqueeze and SqueezeSlave.
    Where does it only show up with a fixed player?
    #4 - iTunes rating
    ==================
    Again: as Erland mentioned: If you use TrackStat you should get exactly the behavior you want.
    There's many more small things, but I understand your interface concern. I'll come back with more input when I've thought it over.

Sune[/QUOTE]
    Keep it coming ;-) I like input. I might not actually implement everything but I definitely like the input.

Joerg
    ---
    at penguinlovesmusic.com

good :-)

Regarding iTunes: OK, I'll try the CustomBrowse plugin (whatever that is). Regarding the TrackStat plug-in, I'll try that as well. Does iTunes Update btw. send on the coverart automatically - I see a lot of coverless stuff in my iPeng skin (and other SC skins).

Regarding the player sync: Even when I have two players linked up to my current version of the Squeezecenter, I only see a "nothing-can-be-changed" line stating the name of the first-started player. Hmmm...but I'll work a bit more on this and revert with my test results. Could be I need to do some reloading or something....

And - since you're into requests for more cool stuff that could be implemented:

#1: Possibility to choose bigger track title font
    =================================================
    ...like on the 'box - right now the track name is so small...I'd like it to be BIIIG :-)

#2: Standard CD cover (think Jewel-Case for iTunes/Mac)
    ================================================== =====
    In some cases I do not have a CD cover. Since the Now Playing skin heavily relies on the coverart to be cool - could you somehow make it possible to choose a "basic blank cover" on which the album name is written (Do you know Jewel-case for iTunes/Mac? That's it :-)

I've got more ideas, but need to figure out how to implement them. I do btw. not see any reason for not implementing the MusicIP Mixer icon in the same way as in other skins? Check out how it's done on the Nokia770 skin, which I use on my iPod as well, just for this reason.

Sune

Regarding the player sync: Even when I have two players linked up to my current version of the Squeezecenter, I only see a "nothing-can-be-changed" line stating the name of the first-started player. Hmmm...but I'll work a bit more on this and revert with my test results. Could be I need to do some reloading or something....
    You need to reload the home screen after you link a new player. But I'll look into that since SC has had so many changes recently it could even be some feature doesn't work as before. How recent is your SC7 version?
    I can't check today since I don't have two players here and for some reason I can't even connect to the stream.mp3 stream of my installation here.
    #1: Possibility to choose bigger track title font
    =================================================
    ...like on the 'box - right now the track name is so small...I'd like it to be BIIIG :-)
    I like that one ;-)
    Until now I found myself defending big fonts against "can you make a smaller font and show more text" requests...
    Which screen do you mean? Now Playing?
    #2: Standard CD cover (think Jewel-Case for iTunes/Mac)
    ================================================== =====
    In some cases I do not have a CD cover. Since the Now Playing skin heavily relies on the coverart to be cool - could you somehow make it possible to choose a "basic blank cover" on which the album name is written (Do you know Jewel-case for iTunes/Mac? That's it :-)
    Nice idea. Let's se...
    I've got more ideas, but need to figure out how to implement them. I do btw. not see any reason for not implementing the MusicIP Mixer icon in the same way as in other skins? Check out how it's done on the Nokia770 skin, which I use on my iPod as well, just for this reason.

Sune
    I would really recommend CustomBrowse for that.
    One reason I started iPeng was that IMHO the Nokia skin is a button grave and there is not enough space on the iPod screen for that. It may be good for the bigger Nokia screen but not for the iPod. I definitely don't want to have more than one control on each side of a title and I'm extremely unhappy with the screens where I still have that (like favorites). That's one of the things I will probably not do; so I think the CustomBrowse solution is a good workaround for that.
    I'm having some other ideas on how this could be done but they will probably only go into the native app since that's a bit more flexible UI wise.
    ---
    at penguinlovesmusic.com

OK, one more comment on Synching:
    I tried it, it works.
    Do you maybe talk about the "NowPlaying" screen? Right now Synching is only possible in the main menu ("Home").
    ---
    at penguinlovesmusic.com