Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Network Configuration Advice

I'm thinking about enhancing my network and my SB is a key consideration, so I was wondering whether anyone had some tips, suggestions or experiences to share.

This is my current set-up:

Upstairs:
    * Cable Modem
    * Wireless Router (Netgear RangeMax WPN824)
    * Ubuntu machine running SC7
    * Thecus with music library (not running SS!)

Downstairs:
    * SB3
    * Jive Remote
    * Notebooks

The wireless reception downstairs where the SB resides is pretty good (at least became that way after switching routers to the RangeMax), but it deteriorates pretty quickly further towards the back of the house. Now, I have big plans to set up outdoor speakers with a new amp and a new SB Receiver in a cupboard in the kitchen (convenient for drilling a hole to outside). I'm a bit concerned that the wireless reception there may be a little flaky for the SBR and the SB Remote (i.e. Jive) definitely will not work outside. So, I need to improve my wireless reception. The possibilities I am considering are as follows:

* Get a wireless repeater downstairs (although I've heard they are not great).
    * Put a cable in from upstairs to downstairs (near the current SB) and stick in a new wireless router there.

Any other ideas? Has anyone had any experience with meraki's? They are one possible form of repeater I've considered, although I'll need two as they won't join an existing network. If I do go for the second router approach I would set it up as follows:

(LAN) [Downstairs Router] (WAN) -> (LAN) [Upstairs Router] (WAN) -> Modem -> Internet

Will the SB/SBR have any trouble seeing the SC on my upstairs server this way as it will be on a different subnet?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I've found that wireless in my ktchen isn't reliable enough for an SB3. I think it is due to all the metalwear about including copper water pipes, and a refridgerator. I've tried a wireless extender and that also doesn't work with the SB3 as it struggles to pickup an address. I've stayed with wire.

M.
    Last edited by mudlark; 2008-02-02 at 01:54.
    Transporter or Cyrus streamX>CyrusDACXP>ESPAudio P09B Active filter>Cyrus X x 2>Rhapsody, Avondale and Naim cable, Kubuntu 16.10 server, various boxes for storage.
    SB3 Flycatcher 3A linear power supply. Touch also.
    Using SqueezeBoxServer (LMS) 7.9
    Also piCorePlayer>Rega DAC>B4>Avondale 260>Royd Eden Kubuntu 14.10
    also naim 32.5>hicap>140>Akroyd Coniston

Have you tried Homeplugs?
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

wired is certainly more reliable wireless and if its convenient, the way to go.
    as for wireless, i've found sb to be fairly consistent with it 99% of the time.
    if you are going to use repeaters, you have to make sure they are set correctly. commonly, people just plug them in and go. a big mistake! signals should overlap as little as possible (you can adjust power for this) and overlapping channels should alternate eg 6, then 7, then 6, then 7 etc etc
    its worth checking what other buildings around you are chucking out.
    Last edited by Lou1z; 2008-02-02 at 04:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Leigh View Post
    Have you tried Homeplugs?
    Hadn't thought of that. How well do they work? Are there any factors to take into consideration in terms of the house electrical wiring?

Quote Originally Posted by smc2911 View Post
    Hadn't thought of that. How well do they work? Are there any factors to take into consideration in terms of the house electrical wiring?
    Mine work great - but they don't like some circuit breakers or RCD's. This isn't a problem for most people though. Worth a shot I'd say. Certainly I don't get the occasional problems I used to gt with wireless and interference from other appliances.
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

You can also use Homeplug in conjunction wireless - for example use Homeplug to enable an second AP (doesn't have to be a repeater) to be installed to service outside or just to provide better coverage for Jive.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    You can also use Homeplug in conjunction wireless - for example use Homeplug to enable an second AP (doesn't have to be a repeater) to be installed to service outside or just to provide better coverage for Jive.
    This sounds appealing. If I just used a second wireless AP rather than a second wireless router, it would obviously have a different SSID, but would it be on the same sub-net as the primary router?

I'm assuming this is the set-up:

PCs, Homeplug1 -> (LAN) [Wireless Router] (WAN) -> Modem

Homeplug2 <- Wireless AP

The home plug is a good idea instead of running cat5. Try and make sure that you get one that supports 100Mbps in both directions, these are sometimes labled as 200Mbps. The may cost a little more but will help reduce throughput problems especially if the mains is a little noisy. I think it has already been mentioned but also avoid plugging them into those filtered extensions you can buy to protect against lightning and surges as they also filter out the home plug signals.

Use either a straight AP or a wireless router, either will do the job. Most home grade wireless routers don't really act as full subnet routers anyway, just routing between their WAN port and the LAN/Wireless. Wireless to LAN is almost certainly just bridging, you'll notice that the squeezebox or other device gets the same address range as your LAN devices.

The main difficulty would be to ensure that, if you use it, DHCP operates correctly. Ideally make sure that only the primary router (or your own DHCP server) is giving out addresses. If the additional AP/router insists on doing DHCP make sure you have it use an address range in the same subnet but one which doesn't conflict with the primary unit. The trick though here, and it is the key element, is to ensure that the router address that it gives out as part of the DHCP lease is that of the primary device otherwise they'll have problems accessing the internet.

From memory I don't think that there is any problem with both wireless devices having the same SSID and keys since they are both on the same network. That way the SB will connect to which ever it sees as the strongest signal. Just make sure they are on different channels and don't interfer with each other.

Excellent. Thanks for the tips.