Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

View Poll Results: Which remote do you prefer?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • iPhone/Touch with iPeng skin

10 23.26%
  • iPhone/Touch with other skin

0 0%
  • Nokia with 770 skin

5 11.63%
  • Nokia with other skin

1 2.33%
  • Jive Hardware Beta

20 46.51%
  • Standard remote control

4 9.30%
  • Other wifi device (e.g. laptop, Eee, PDA)

2 4.65%
  • Desktop PC

1 2.33%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    Where did you find the stuff about STREAMED media playback
    A MPMoviePlayerController object defines a full-screen movie player. You can use this class to play back movies stored in your application’s bundle directory or support directories. You can also use it to play movies loaded from a network-based URL.It also plays back audio.

Quote Originally Posted by CardinalFang View Post
    A MPMoviePlayerController object defines a full-screen movie player. You can use this class to play back movies stored in your applicationĺs bundle directory or support directories. You can also use it to play movies loaded from a network-based URL.It also plays back audio.
    Yes. I know. Unfortunately, that does not include streaming. So you cannot use the squeezebox stream.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Yes. I know. Unfortunately, that does not include streaming. So you cannot use the squeezebox stream.
    Can't you? Audio File Stream Services are part of Core Audio on the iPhone, so at the very least you could use those instead, but that surprises me as you don't as a rule download video or audio on web pages before playing it back, and the browser is built with the same API.

In any case, I think most people would be happy with controlling their Squeezeboxes/Transporters as an alternative to the Duet Controller and not worry too much about playback.

Sounds like you plan to build it anyway, so I won't duplicate your effort.

Can't you? Audio File Stream Services are part of Core Audio on the iPhone, so at the very least you could use those instead, but that surprises me as you don't as a rule download video or audio on web pages before playing it back, and the browser is built with the same API.

In any case, I think most people would be happy with controlling their Squeezeboxes/Transporters as an alternative to the Duet Controller and not worry too much about playback.

Sounds like you plan to build it anyway, so I won't duplicate your effort.
    No, the browser does not take streaming media either (try to open SC's stream.mp3 or any other stream). Apple does things differently again. They access FILES stored on a server but require the server to allow byte range access so they don't have to download the full file upfront. I think they assume this saves battery power.

BTW, I thought the same about playback at first but now I would quite like to have the chance to listen to my music when I'm not at home, I always forget to synch.

BTW, have you tried iPeng? It's slow compared to the native app but the functionality is there today, I now can even do swipes on the browser (OK, that's still somewhat beta).

But if you know iPhone well expect me to address all my questions to you ;-)
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

I'm totally yammering for playback! I have a vision of myself in the hammock this summer listening to music or to NPR's ATC on my touch via iPeng whilst watching the sun go down.

But if you know iPhone well expect me to address all my questions to you ;-)
    I've just been building an app that connects to a social network as a test, lots of UI and http, but no audio, hence my lack of knowledge in that area.

I had both an N800, and a duet controller (production release). I wound up returning the N800. It was really close though.

In the end my decision was made on the basis that the jive (or duet) controller has the nice 'hard' buttons that are labelled correctly and it was just plain old more responsive and faster than the n800, which i assume would be the case comparing jive with any browser based solution.

Taking the browser layer out (which is what the jive software does) will always be faster and more responsive than any browser based solution.

Sounds like there is the possibility to implement a native communication solution to the squeezecenter on the iTouch and perhaps that will happen someday and will kick the duet controllers butt, but at this point i would maintain that the duet controller or SBC really rocks!!!

Thanks slimdevices and logitech!! (BTW i am in no way affiliated with either apple, logitech, slimdevices or nokia in any way).

Jim