Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Audio from asf stream

There are some internet radios use the video header of asf in their audio stream. I have no problem listening to this stream with windows media player. However, slimserver will just report time out immediately encountering this. Here is a link to such internet radio station.

http://www.fairchildradio.com/Archive/am1430.asx

Is it possible in the future versions of slimserver to handle this kind of stream? Something like just ignore the video header and just decode the audio stream?

Thanks.

Biu

If you are using a Slimserver on a Linux system and you have installed mplayer to play WMA stream. Then disable "Windows Media (built-in)" and then you can play the stream.

It is better to use the URL from the ASX mms://216.18.70.242/am1430

This works because mplayer is set up to discard video component of the stream.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    If you are using a Slimserver on a Linux system and you have installed mplayer to play WMA stream. Then disable "Windows Media (built-in)" and then you can play the stream.

It is better to use the URL from the ASX mms://216.18.70.242/am1430

This works because mplayer is set up to discard video component of the stream.
    But this is not a wma stream. It reported asf which is wmv. Just curious. Could anyone connect to this stream with the squeezebox?

Thanks.

The audio is wma encoded and I played on SB with config as described.
    ============ ASF Stream group == START ===
    stream count=[0x1][1]
    stream id=[0x1][1]
    max bitrate=[0x7f88][32648]
    ============ ASF Stream group == END ===
    Found movie at 0x33A - 0x33A
    ASF: 1 audio and 0 video streams found
    ASF: Searching for audio stream (id:-1).
    Auto-selected ASF audio ID = 1
    Clip info:
    name: AM Live
    author: Fairchild Radio
    copyright: Fairchild Radio
    comments: Fairchild Radio AM Live
    ================================================== ========================
    Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
    dec_audio: Allocating 192000 + 65536 = 257536 bytes for output buffer.
    FFmpeg's libavcodec audio codec
    INFO: libavcodec init OK!
    AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 1 ch, s16le, 32.0 kbit/4.54% (ratio: 4003->88200)
    Selected audio codec: [ffwmav2] afm: ffmpeg (DivX audio v2 (FFmpeg))

The audio is wma encoded and I played on SB with config as described.
    I am running squeezecenter on XP. Is there any setting in windows that I need to change to play this stream? I have tried both the original link and the mms://216.18.70.242/am1430 in the asx file with no luck. I even tried the link in Radio Time and SqueezeNetwork and they all behaved the same.

Thanks.

On Windowx XP - the application wmadec decodes WAM streams for devices not supporting WMA such as the SB1 or Softsqueeze.

wmadec may be able to handle the stream you want to play. To try (asuming SS 6.5.x ) - got to Server Settings/Filetypes and uncheck the box "Windows Media (built-in)" and then click change. This disable WMA decoding by SB3 and forces decoding in the PC by the wmadec application.

On Windowx XP - the application wmadec decodes WAM streams for devices not supporting WMA such as the SB1 or Softsqueeze.

wmadec may be able to handle the stream you want to play. To try (asuming SS 6.5.x ) - got to Server Settings/Filetypes and uncheck the box "Windows Media (built-in)" and then click change. This disable WMA decoding by SB3 and forces decoding in the PC by the wmadec application.
    Thank you very much for the tip. Yes, that fixed the problem and the squeezebox is able to connect.

From what I could understand from your replies. It seems indicating that the Squeezebox is not able to decode this format of stream and had to rely on the computer codec to do it? If yes, it would mean I wouldn't able to connect with SqueezeNetwork. Could that be fixed with firmware update?

Thanks again for all this information and workarounds.

Biu

From what I could understand from your replies. It seems indicating that the Squeezebox is not able to decode this format of stream and had to rely on the computer codec to do it? If yes, it would mean I wouldn't able to connect with SqueezeNetwork. Could that be fixed with firmware update?
    The stream has been setup as an video stream so it is reasonable for SB to decide not to play. At a guess either the station checked the wrong options on the server or they hope to add video at some point. It could be be their "security" method to ensure users use WMP and not media streamers and so have to watch any ads they decode to broadcast.

Whatever reason - it is marked as a video stream so it is reasonable for SB to decide it cannot play it. It is also possible that SB does not had some additional protocol implemented or even the Microsoft decoder is not licensed to decode those streams or there was not enough space in SB3 memory to support current mix of decoders and the asf decoder.

So, the stream cannot be decoded by SB so it cannot be played through SN. Also if it require a new decoder in firmware to play this stream, that is unlikely to happen with SB3 as it has been stated there is little free memory in the SB3.

Thank you again for the explaination. I understand it better now. Yes, that station was also streaming video a while back but stopped doing so and probably forgot to change the setting. Anyway, with your workaround, I am now very happy to be able to tune into it again.
    Thanks.

The stream has been setup as an video stream so it is reasonable for SB to decide not to play. At a guess either the station checked the wrong options on the server or they hope to add video at some point. It could be be their "security" method to ensure users use WMP and not media streamers and so have to watch any ads they decode to broadcast.

Whatever reason - it is marked as a video stream so it is reasonable for SB to decide it cannot play it. It is also possible that SB does not had some additional protocol implemented or even the Microsoft decoder is not licensed to decode those streams or there was not enough space in SB3 memory to support current mix of decoders and the asf decoder.

So, the stream cannot be decoded by SB so it cannot be played through SN. Also if it require a new decoder in firmware to play this stream, that is unlikely to happen with SB3 as it has been stated there is little free memory in the SB3.