Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

SB Controller vs. N800

OK, I'm a bit torn with the SB controller announcement - I had been watching the N800 prices drop and thought of buying one in the new year, then the controller was announced. It looks great, but costs more than the N800 and doesn't allow additional things like web surfing. So I'm not fully inclined to buy it. Yet I hear the N800 is slow controlling SBs via a browser. so, I'm torn!

At the same time, I've been reading all the talk of how the license for Jive may not allow for porting over to the N800 or other devices and I have a possible solution:

What if Slim Devices ported the software over to the N800 itself, and sold it for a nominal amount ($29, $39, $49?). I will gladly pay to purchase the software to load on an N800 and I'm sure others might too.

I see it as a potential win for Everyone: those that have an N770/N800/N810, but may not want or be able to add the SBC to their stack of devices can get the functionality for a nominal "upgrade" price, and SD will get income for their development work without the production costs of building additional SBCs - These software only sales would probably be sales to users that would not buy an SBC (yet), so they shouldn't significantly canibalize potential SBC sales. It also helps SD maintain their focus on serving a range of customers with a variety of needs and creates an additional income stream.

What I clearly don't know is what the price point is where a software sale would equal the value of an SBC sale in terms of the net, but I would imagine the "software only" price point would be reasonable and attractive for many.

Just some thoughts. I am exicted to see the new devices announced.

So far I have used a PDA, Nokia Smart Phone, Play Station Portable, N800 (briefly) and laptop - all with various web browsers, web skins and stand alone apps. I now have been using an SBC for 4 months or so as part of the beta test and i say that as a Squeezebox remote the SB Controler wins hands down. And i honestly dont say that with any Bias or fanboyism at all.

The reasons it beats all the other devices for me are;

1) Always on wifi - because it mostly in the dock wifi is always on - other devices like the PSP, PDA etc constantly drop the connection when idle to save power - it takes a few seconds to log on and drives me mad when i just want to flick tracks but have wait to get the network connection back.

2) Ergonomics - the SBC can be used one handed, in fact it works best this way. Most other devices need two hands. I prefer to have a beer hand free at all times. I also just feels right using a remote in one hand.

3) Start up time - with say my PSP, i not only had to switch it on, log on to the network, but i also had to load the web browser. With the SBC it's just there - i grab it and its ready to use before my eyes even get chance to focus on it.

4) Knowing where it is - I know where it is - next to my sofa in the dock, not in the car or next to the bed, or being used by someone else for something else.

5) The dock - is a good wieght and lose so i can grab the SBC and drop it back with speed and ease with one drunken hand. The other docks i had for my PDA, PDA etc had to be clicked in with two hands and to much concentration to make me instinctively want to dock it after use.

6) Fool proof, easy to use and WAF - I can let my mates have free reign without worrying about them exiting the browser or something.

7) Speed of UI - very sluggish on most devices, often worse when using a NAS. Once the album art is cached it's lightening fast. Thats no to say it's perfect in the beta firmware, it's one of my main complaints, but we are told its being fix right now.

Even if Jive was ported to Nokia Tablet OS or other mobiles OS's, you only really solve #7.

Of course whether or not you think its justifies the extra cost is up to you, but just looking at it from the view of it being used as a remote, the SBC is the best option by a mile. But if i had to chose the N810 would possibly still get my money first - but i would want a SBC too. It's a tough one, but when do we really pay full RRP anyway? RRP to me is just a guide to what not to pay more than. Usually it's kept at it's highest price on official websites etc so we can all buy a 'bargain' at Bestbuy etc (this is especially true with Logitech in my experience). And after R&D is recouped we will probably see it even cheaper.
    Last edited by autopilot; 2008-01-10 at 15:56.
    Cheers, auto.

Lounge: Squeezebox 3, Squeezebox Controller, Cambridge Audio 640A, Mission 701's Kitchen: Squeezebox Touch, Trends TA-10.1, Kef Cresta 1's. Bedroom: Squeezebox Boom Bathroom/Garden: Squeezebox Radio Car: iPod Classic 80GB Portable: iPhone 3GS 32Gb (+iPeng)

What if Slim Devices ported the software over to the N800 itself, and sold it for a nominal amount ($29, $39, $49?). I will gladly pay to purchase the software to load on an N800 and I'm sure others might too.
    The support costs to port and maintain an official N800 port would probably mean that at a package price of $50 - there would need to be hundreds of users which I think is unlikely to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWombat View Post
    OK, I'm a bit torn with the SB controller announcement - I had been watching the N800 prices drop and thought of buying one in the new year, then the controller was announced. It looks great, but costs more than the N800 and doesn't allow additional things like web surfing. So I'm not fully inclined to buy it. Yet I hear the N800 is slow controlling SBs via a browser. so, I'm torn!
    Also consider an Apple iPod Touch (or the iPhone, if you also want a mobile phone) with the iPeng skin. Looks to be superior to the N800 and there's an exceptional developer working on the skin and (maybe) even a native iPod application.

For the same $300 as an SB controller you can buy a new 8GB iPod Touch, although they can be had for as little as $200 on eBay and Craigslist. If recent Apple history is any guide, before long we can expect a 2nd generation of even faster touchscreen iPod's with WIFI and web browsing capablilities, possibly with larger screens. When that happens, 8GB iPod Touches will become dirt cheap.

A native app for the n800 would be cool. But if your willing to connect the n800 through remote desktop to your server all the time you can get pretty close.

I have it setup this way. What do I get this way:

1. Instant on ready to go.
    2. With Moose a very functional and fast interface. I mapped a button on the Nokia that will always bring me back to Moose with one button press.
    3. With Firefox a browser experience as fast as on the server pc itself. I remapped some keys on the Nokia. so I can even dynamically change the font size.

It works really well for me. I can browse the internet from the couch, change the music any second I want. The large screen on the n800 is also great to look up artists info and for me to read the libretto while listening to opera's.

peter

I have just upgraded my N800 to the latest 2008 OS and performance is much improved. Previously I had to tap the N800 screen to bring it out of standby and then wait until it caught up with what the SB3 was playing. Now this is done in background so tapping the screen brings instant 'on' and the information is up to date. Great device especially for sorting arguments about the song currently playing - you can surf to Wikipedia or other sites to find more information.

I would second Heuer's comments. OS2008 is a big step forward in terms of stablility and speed (and we have Diablo to look forward to in 2009!). Not so keen on the formatting (everything is now thumb/finger access sized) but it's a lot more snappy.

Word of caution before upgrading to OS2008 though. Take out your memory cards (a few reports of these being corrupted by the upgrade, although this was with the beta release not the current (supported) release) and check whether the applications you use most often on the N800 have been ported over to OS2008 - a lot of popular apps are only in the process of being made available on OS2008.