Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Question "Newbie" Overwhelmed - Need Advice

hi all and thank you in advance for the advice you offer and for supporting this forum.

here is my "case" in a nutshell:

i live in a manhattan apartment and need to get rid at least 600 CDs and 150 albums. i am very concerned about quality so i want to preserve my CDs at their original quality level. [i have 3000+ mp3s that i am less worried about.] i have bought two 200 GB external drives to store my music on and will probably purchase another one down the road for back-up. i wish i had the cash for the Transporter, but i don't, so a PC solution will need to work for now.

1] what software [for Win XP] would you recommend [freeware or shareware] to organize my music? i would prefer one program that would handle my CDs and my mp3 collection, which is quite unorganized.

2] what software would you recommend to burn my CDs into the hard drives?

3] which lossless format should i use?

4] i ordered my SB yesterday. today i see the SB duet coming out. what is the difference and which do i want?

thanks again. i am sure i will have more questions soon.

s -

Read, understand and follow the guidance in http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuide to greatly reduce the chance of aural injury.

1) OrangeCD from Firetongue Software

2) You mean rip? Exact Audio Copy

3) FLAC

4) You want a Transporter

"Newbie" Overwhelmed - Need Advice

Most of your questions should be answered in the following wiki article:
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cg...GuideToRipping

> 4] i ordered my SB yesterday. today i see the SB duet coming out.
    > what is the difference and which do i want?

Please read some of the Duet threads - there's lot of talk about it.

Michael

If you are "ripping" CDs and albums, don't think of your CDs and albums as being backup for what you now have on hard disk - you'll lose all your ripping/tagging/organizational work if the HD fails.

IMHO, the easiest backup is to an external disk.
    (BTW, I use robocopy (free util from MS) to "mirror" from my server to external HDs - anyone know if there's already a "howto" here on using robocopy for this?).

PS: here's a link to an easy step-by-step EAC tutorial (there was also a really good one at "the coaster factory", which seems to have disappeared). Anyway, just follow the steps and you'll be up pretty quickly...

1] SqueezeCenter.

2] I use CDex on Windows, lots of folks prefer EAC

3] FLAC

4] For a Manhattan (assuming NY not Kansas) apartment, you can't get far enough away to really *need* the Controllers cool display.
    But the Controller is much cooler, so to show off how hip you are, a Duet may be the answer.

As others have said, if you really, really care about audio quality, you want a Transporter. But don't worry, you can use either the SB3 or Duet today, and swap in a Transporter later (say when you get a massive bonus). All the hard work is in ripping and tagging your music.

2. I am happy with DBpoweramp. I rip everything to FLAC for the Squeezebox and then convert the FLAC to MP3 for iPod use. Once you have the music in FLAC, the MP3 conversion is quite quick.